Greetings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smercier

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings / questions on Poulan 245A / S25DA

I've been reading this site for quite some time but I've just recently registered and just now started to post. I've learned more here than any other site or source I've found. I'm no stranger to chainsaws but fairly new to working on two cycle engines. I've gotten up to speed on the basics and mostly need to learn the nuances of each saw I touch. I know all of this is a lot to read but I do have some questions that I'd appreciate somebody more knowledgeable answering.

A little background:

My father was always a Poulan man, but that was back when it wasn't a dirty word. A lot of our land was heavily wooded so we did a lot more cutting than your average homeowner but nothing compared to the professionals. I can't be 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain that we had a 306A / 245A, a 5200, and possibly a 6000 (we briefly had a huge saw that he wouldn't let me use and looking at Mike Acres site this looks like it) in addition to the S25DA that I still have. In his old age he's converted to Stihl (sellout!) after going through 4 or 5 new Poulans in just a couple years. Don't take that as a knock on Stihls at all, they're great saws. I certainly wouldn't buy a new Poulan but I still love the old ones.

My current projects:

Poulan 245a

I recently purchased this and it was in pretty good shape for its age. It needed a few things (cracked bar / side cover, missing spikes, damaged carb / fuel line, bent chain adjuster screw) but I was able to get all of these off of a 306 parts saw. After rebuilding the carb is starts and idles fairly well, but needs a good tuning. I'm waiting on tuning it until (1) I do a little more research on tuning, (2) I get a proper carb to crank case gasket (I made one out of a phone book, but a new one is in the mail...I wish they included these in a carb rebuild kit), and (3) I figure out the proper fuel mix.

245a1.jpg

245a2.jpg

245a3.jpg

245a4.jpg

245a5.jpg

Poulan S25DA

This was the most frequently used of our saws and I can't say more about it. It finally quit a few years ago after 30 years of faithful service. Surprisingly the compression on the saw is still ~125 PSI but it no longer throws spark. I ordered a new coil for it and while the IPL confirms it is the correct part number, it does not fit the saw. I've got an S25CVA coming that I will (hopefully) make one good saw out of.

S25DA.jpg

I have a few questions on these two saws:

(1) Does anybody have the stock / default settings for the 245A's carb? I understand the concept of tuning the saw by ear but I wanted to get the proper starting point as I'm still a novice at this.

(2) The IPL for the S25DA indicates that the coil is PM 530039141. I purchased this exact part (530039141 is stamped on it), however it does not fit (see pic below--original coil on top, new one on bottom). Mike Acres' site indicates that the ignition was changed to electronic in later production. Does anybody have the proper part number for a different coil for this saw? Also, there is absolutely no way that the 530039141 coil I received can be mounted on the saw without coming into contact with the flywheel. I find it hard to believe that they would change both the coil and flywheel in later production. Any thoughts here?

coils.jpg

(3) Mike Acres' site indicates that the proper fuel mix for the 245A is 16:1 or 32:1 with Poulan oil and 32:1 with Poulan oil for the S25DA. Is there any particular reason why you would thin the mix when using a certain oil? Because this information is probably over 30 years old, can anybody recommend what type of oil and what mix I should use with these saws? If compression drops as the saw ages does adding more or thicker oil help? I've read recommendations on the site that say 50:1 or 40:1 with newer high quality oil is fine while some are saying that you should stick with 32:1 just to be sure. Also, I'm still unclear as to whether regular or premium unleaded <really> will benefit me.

(4) Is there anything else that you guys think I should know? Is anything I've said here cause for concern? I'm trying to educate myself as best I can so that I make good decisions and do not hurt myself, others, or my saws.

Finally I wanted to say one more thing--the safety information and the manner in which you guys promote it is wonderful. After finding this site I've come to realize that there is a huge gap in what safety precautions we have taken over the years and what we need to. I'm guessing that we avoided any incidents over the years by a combination of good form (he was always a stickler on this), mostly using smaller saws (he rarely let me use anything side from the S25DA until I was 17-18), and luck. I plan on purchasing proper PPE and recommending my father do the same. If not, I know what he'll be getting for Christmas, Father's Day, and his birthday.

Any advice or recommendations you guys can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
velcome
3/4 turn for low
1 turn for high
this is a starting point, the problem with a a carb adjustments is it depends on two things fuel mix ratio and local elevation. iwrun all my saw on 40-1 non synthetic mix. i see you are well into the early stages of CAD:clap: :greenchainsaw:
:givebeer:

Thanks superfire, I'll give those settings a try when I tune it. Local elevation? Hah, down here you can barely dig a foot without getting into water. I'm already addicted, I think...though I need to balance my budget between this and my classic car addiction.

Anybody else want to put in their .02, or was the most more lengthy than most want to read? :popcorn:

Back