Grenade style splitting wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elektrobot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Grenade?

elektrobot said:
Has anyone tried a "grenade" style splitting wedge? Looks like they might work pretty well.

Found one at TSC:
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID=1013&sonID=606&productID=1098

Also at NorthernTool: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_37932_37932

Pretty sure they are both identical except for color. Maybe one is made of harder metal than the other...but not much detail is given.

Be careful where you begin to use the grenade. Try it near the edge. If you hit it in the center of a green round it may swallow it and how are you gonna retrieve it?:sucks:

I got my wood grenade at the local hardware store. I like it, but it can get swallowed up like Shultz said, though I think happens a lot less than your standard splitting wedges.

Got a couple of them. Had them for 2-3 years now. I think I got mine at wallly world. They work much better that a conventional wedge. i usually use a monster mall, and if that won't do it, I break these out. Well worth the 8-10 bucks they cost.

-Steve

BTW, mine used to be gold in color. lol

Good day from muggy Minnesota....

I have mixed feelings on the grenade wedge. I have broken the tips off of two of them, albeit I was trying to split 20+ inch hard locust or ash. I also have buried them as others have...if you do that be sure to have additional wedges handy to finish the job.

Also the grenades have a nasty habit of "popping out" at times if the wood is too springy or green. I usually set it with a three pounder then lay in with the eight or twelve. It starts to p!ss a guy off tho when it jumps up and out at random.

I've found it best to use two regular wedges in a line and alternate hits now and then. My two bits...the Hack

Latest posts

Back