Grenade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning, GRAPHIC content!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TZed, you don't always have to go on the offensive like that. Fortunately, this is the first catastrophic failure I have seen. Your opinion is only one of many. I'm not saying yours is wrong. But your implying that I should buy what your saying over everyone else. You might also do good to remember that a poorly cast piston was not my idea. Many others keep mentioning it, so I'm not throwing that out. There is evidence that the piston is far harder than a typical piston. Try to keep this a discussion, rather than a fight, if you can.

Blsnelling, no offense. I was simply looking for
information about how many failures of this kind you have dealt with. You started discounting theories but now admit your experience level brings extremely lImited knowledge to the table. Maybe you need to quit feeling defensive.

The saw failed. You made a mistake. Either by modifying the parts, or by trusting low cost Chinese parts. If your work is flawless then you do your customers no favors recomending Chi-com parts.

This ain't my first time at the rodeo Brad, but it is yours. If you don't want to hear what someone with more experience has to say about the blow-up that is fine. In a situation like this you were given two ears and one mouth for a reason.

Carry on.

Blsnelling, no offense. I was simply looking for
information about how many failures of this kind you have dealt with. You started discounting theories but now admit your experience level brings extremely lImited knowledge to the table. Maybe you need to quit feeling defensive.

The saw failed. You made a mistake. Either by modifying the parts, or by trusting low cost Chinese parts. If your work is flawless then you do your customers no favors recomending Chi-com parts.

This ain't my first time at the rodeo Brad, but it is yours. If you don't want to hear what someone with more experience has to say about the blow-up that is fine. In a situation like this you were given two ears and one mouth for a reason.

Carry on.

Like I said earlier in the post, I value everyone's input. That means I value the input of those that don't agree with you. I'm using those two ear to listen to both your and everyone else. And just for the record, I won't install a BB kit on a paying customers saw. But that's beside the point.

Yes, I did make a mistake, one way or the other. I'm fine with that, but want to learn from it. I'm also big enough to post it here for everyone else to see. I figure everyone has room to learn something. I guess you're done learning, ehh? You're still asserting your opinion over everyone else's.

I do want to hear what you, and everyone else has to say. But I'm not going to have one person's opinion shoved down my throat.

If your intentions here are what you say they are, you'll drop this and let the thread continue.

Last edited:
was that the first time that piston ran in that saw?

Brand new topend. I fired it up, tuned the L, which included a few very light throttle blips to check throttle response. I then let is sit and idle for 5 minutes. I picked up and just started to blip the throttle, very mildly, and BAMMMM! It immediately grenaded.

ok...sorry, jusr reread the 1st post. Did you run the rpm up and down while setting the L screw? If it was a bad casting then the heat cycles could have made a small crack into, well...a blown up piston. I am putting my money on a bad casting/alloy.

ok...sorry, jusr reread the 1st post. Did you run the rpm up and down while setting the L screw? If it was a bad casting then the heat cycles could have made a small crack into, well...a blown up piston. I am putting my money on a bad casting/alloy.

It never saw many RPMs at all. Not even close to WOT. This was to be a heat cycle with not high RPM loading.

I honestly think you had a defective piston. It's pretty clear that the failure happened at the piston first and everything else in the aftermath. I don't think you did anything wrong, you just got bit by a part that had a flaw in it that wasn't visible as you assembled it.

Bummer.

If you're studying "law" Space you should probably learn to open your mouth when you know it's absolutely necessary. I'd love to know how many of your 14,000+ posts actually contributed anything constructive to this forum...[qutoe] the only way THAT is going to happen--if his mouth gets suddening shut by someone when he opens it too far--like he has a habit of----and with NO witness--so he cant sue them--

Tzed250, are you thinking that after idling for five minutes it hung the ring on the down stroke, clipped the top off the piston with other small damage, tipped the piston, partial skirt shattering, stroked through once more, completed the shattering and and locked up?

Last edited:
Tzed, let's say your theory is right, what exactly was done wrong that caused the ring to hang in the transfer port ? What should have been done different ? How are Brad's port mods more radical than what is routinely done on race saws ?

I'm just trying to learn.........

I think I'm going to have to add "Tzed is right" to my signature line, because he just keeps making sense. And how can you argue with someone with such a clean cylinder?

I can't see the top of the piston shearing off without a ring having caught to generate that force. The extent of the damage might have to do with casting issues, but I am convinced a hung ring is the root cause.

The transition on the top of the intake port is more square than I would like, but looking at where the blowout occurred on the piston, the intake isn't an issue.

Brad didn't actually answer your question of intake width, but assuming a width of 65% of bore diameter, and a 90 degree split between the pins, there is a little more than 2.1mm of cylinder wall between the edge of the intake and the pin. Looking at the pic that shows the separation between the intake and the transfer, Brad's conclusion that the end of the ring didn't make it into the transfer port seems to be valid.

So what caused the ring to hang? I would say the widened portion of the port was much too square. The pic might exaggerate this, but that profile would make me nervous before the piston cratered. The damage to the transfer appears consistent with this.

attachment.php

Widening the transfers can improve scavenging by decreasing velocity, but only if the flow remains symmetrical. I wouldn't widen transfers without some means of examining flow. From what I've read, it'll take the peak down a little and give you more in the middle.

If your intentions here are what you say they are, you'll drop this and let the thread continue.

If your intentions here are what you say they are, you'll stop lashing out when you get answers you don't want to hear.

If you give all opinions equal weight, you'll never have an answer.

Last edited:
Howdy Brad,
As long as a lot of people are speculating, I think it was that German junk you hung under our fine top end.
Based on the pictures I would most have to agree with Tzed250's scenario. This doesn't rule out what many have said that they thought it was poor, or improper casting. If you want to find a place that will test the damaged piston compared to OEM, I'll pay for it. As far as the disposition of what you have now, whether it was the chicken or the egg is to hard to tell with the photos. I know this came out of your pocket, so I don't have any problem replacing it, or refunding you.
Regards
Grenade Dog

If your intentions here are what you say they are, you'll stop lashing out when you get answers you don't want to hear.

If you give all opinions equal weight, you'll never have an answer.

Just ignore him. He'll go away when you all quit giving him attention. :cheers:

Howdy Brad,
As long as a lot of people are speculating, I think it was that German junk you hung under our fine top end.
Based on the pictures I would most have to agree with Tzed250's scenario. This doesn't rule out what many have said that they thought it was poor, or improper casting. If you want to find a place that will test the damaged piston compared to OEM, I'll pay for it. As far as the disposition of what you have now, whether it was the chicken or the egg is to hard to tell with the photos. I know this came out of your pocket, so I don't have any problem replacing it, or refunding you.
Regards
Grenade Dog

:clap: :clap:

Way to stand behind a product!

WOW

Last edited:
Howdy Brad,
Regards
Grenade Dog

Thanks for chiming in Gregg. German junk ehh?:clap::cheers:

It would indeed be interesting to have the piston tested, but I have no connections to anyone that does that kind of work. I'd be more than happy to send it back to you if you're interested in doing so.

Thanks for the offer. Baileys always stands behind their customers, even when they don't have to. There's not proof this was a problem with their product, yet they're more than willing to stand behind it.

If you're studying "law" Space you should probably learn to open your mouth when you know it's absolutely necessary. I'd love to know how many of your 14,000+ posts actually contributed anything constructive to this forum...

Brad,
Are you sure your little throttle "blip" wasn't to 19,000rpm? :D

I made an announcement in off topic a month or so back that I'm no longer in law school and do not plan on finishing it.

That aside, I have just about as many posts "contributing" something as you have complaining about my lack of contributing. :) Truth is, people just get annoyed and attack me instead of what I'm saying because I say the glaring truth. You can't attack the truth, so throw mud and ignore. :)

Latest posts

Back