Gripe about tiny tires on hydraulic splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would not be nervous pullin that splitter down the road. Let out a little air in the tires to absorb a bit but not bounce too bad. Also would weld a receiver hitch on the back of trailer and pull splitter behind on the way home. I have the skinny boat trailer tires on mine with 5 bolt rims and it trails nice. Cost a bit more to put decent hubs and wheels than the cheap ones but can pull 55-60 no problem. If I have issues with bearings, which I don't foresee with minimal road use, can be picked up at any farm store/auto parts store. No interstates where I take it.

Another plus to installing larger rubber or buying a splitter that already has them is that it raises the beam height to a more comfortable working height. I have yet to see a cheap splitter(under 2k) that wouldn't benefit from having at least 2"more height to the beam

I think too much weight on the front end. Especially when you consider how much farther out it would hang than a plow. I tried to find the weight of my Boss plow, but it has all of the undercarriage added in so I couldn't get a true figure for just the plow. Didn't did real hard though either. I mounted large farm wagon floatation tires on my homemade splitter, and then put high speed bearings in them. Its great when you get into a little mud or the farm field is a little frozen in the winter with the flotation tires.
depending on the tire, MOST ribbed implement tires,,are not rated for over 35 mph......

Anytime I'm moving my splitter either on my property or to a nearby location it's moved with one of the ATVs. If I need to take the splitter beyond the reasonable ATV driving distance then I put the ATV/splitter combo on my 16' trailer. Drive on - drive off.

Gosh dang it, you can't win! Here I buy this new whizzbang splitter, got triple log lift log dragger drink holder running lights heater dual exhaust with crossover and snorkel 29 way wedge... well duh, we cut and split wood in the winter during the polar vortex! The stupid things come with wheels, kvetch moan complain, where's the snow and ice runners???? I have to make my own??? $^&^*&*%$%!!!!

Me too. But most people it's about the price and only the price. We see it here all the time, cheapest wins.
Indeed cheapest wins. Thats why the tree care industry is going to hell. All the immigrant hacks with a truck and chainsaw are getting the jobs from smaller legit companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My splitter has 14.9 x 28's on it... lol

standard.jpg

SR

I bought a nice home made splitter last year with a Honda GX 160 motor. It's made from the front axle of a small truck on a rail road track and has 15" wheels. Tows great at any speed and never had a problem splitting 50 cord since last summer. No leaks no worries. Glad I didn't buy one of those box store splitters plus I got it for a lot less ($500). Quality doesn't have to be expensive if you know what you are looking for.

2014-09-01 13_51_53.jpg 2014-09-01 13_52_03.jpg

I bought a nice home made splitter last year with a Honda GX 160 motor. It's made from the front axle of a small truck on a rail road track and has 15" wheels. Tows great at any speed and never had a problem splitting 50 cord since last summer. No leaks no worries. Glad I didn't buy one of those box store splitters plus I got it for a lot less ($500). Quality doesn't have to be expensive if you know what you are looking for.

View attachment 444640 View attachment 444641

That piece of track for the beam is a great idea there.

My vac weighs about 300lbs. A real truck would have no problem holding a store made splitter on it. Heavier springs and a decent welder could make it happen.
View attachment 444305

That wouldn't be legal here without an over length permit, not that it looks that fun to drive around anyhow.
We are allowed 3ft overhang in the front, 4ft in the back and it's got to be flagged. I'd imagine most states to have similar laws?
The permit for the log truck was around $1000 a year to have 10ft rear overhang. We extended the reach this summer so now can haul up to 50ft logs with no permit.

Latest posts

Back