Ground frozen and trees on the ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik B

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I had some dead elm trees removed by a tree company this past fall that were too close to the house for me to take down. The one dead elm tree I really wanted down couldn't be climbed because of a bad split part way up. The ground at that time was to soft to get the bucket truck close enough to use. I was told to wait until the ground froze. Before Christmas I used my snow blower to make a path for the truck and to allow the ground to freeze. Today was the day. The dead elmDSC02020.JPG DSC02021.JPG DSC02022.JPG DSC02023.JPG DSC02024.JPG is on the ground and most of a double stem paper birch is also on the ground. The guy doing the cutting ran into what could be a steel post in one of the stems of the paper birch. I will deal with that later in the spring.

Gotta feel good to get em down. I killed a new 36" chain with fence post in tree. Surprise !

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Gotta feel good to get em down. I killed a new 36" chain with fence post in tree. Surprise !

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
The guy got at least 75% of the way thru before hitting the steel. I was thinking of starting to noodle it on the stump and try to split it. Wish I could find someone in the area that has a metal detector I could use for an hour.

Just put in a couple of wedges in the end of the infected piece of wood. Assume that you cut it on each side of the post where there were thought to be clean wood. So that the piece is 3-4 foot long. Shouldn't be a problem to split and it will must probably reveal the bandit hidding it the trunk.

Motorsen

By the way nice work Erik! Nice that you choose the bucket solution instead of rigging some Hill Billy solution under the plenty consumption of refreshments. Only to end up in an Youtube situation with the wife standing with crossed arms to yell at you "It was as I told you, I knew it all the time!!!" Happy New Year to you and all the wood bugs in here.

Motorsen

Just put in a couple of wedges in the end of the infected piece of wood. Assume that you cut it on each side of the post where there were thought to be clean wood. So that the piece is 3-4 foot long. Shouldn't be a problem to split and it will must probably reveal the bandit hidding it the trunk.

Motorsen
@Motorsen There are big chucks from the other stem that are laying close by the piece with steel in it. I will have to clean up around it before I do anything with it. Gotta keep safety in mind. Whatever I eventually do, the one thing I don't want to do is ruin a chain.

Back