Ground Trimming VS Climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookpederson

Prairie Lumberjack
Reaction score
I was wondering what every one charges when you don't have climb. I get a fair amount of jobs that don't inolve climbing or bucket work. Apple tree's, small tree's, pole saw work, pruning, hedges, taking off one branch, droping a tree.
We usually charge less for this kind of work, but the more I think about it, Maybe we should be charging the same rate for all tree work and removal. Weather from the ground or climbing it.
What do you guys think

I was wondering what every one charges when you don't have climb. I get a fair amount of jobs that don't inolve climbing or bucket work. Apple tree's, small tree's, pole saw work, pruning, hedges, taking off one branch, droping a tree.
We usually charge less for this kind of work, but the more I think about it, Maybe we should be charging the same rate for all tree work and removal. Weather from the ground or climbing it.
What do you guys think

For me i like to charge by job.Try to figure how long it will take then add 2 or 3 hours because clean up always takes longer.You and another guy try 100 dollars an hour or at least 75.Ive been doing this awhile the bigger the tree always figure extra 3 hours or 2 then what you think.Hope that helps.Some times if the job is to big and you feel like customer does not want to spend alot of money i just tell them 1500 8 hour day three guys truck and chipper that way i dont lose my shirt and customer knows what they are dealing wiht.

I can attest to an additional 2+ hours. For example, a buddy and I did a couple of removals the other night and he underbid in time and money. What he thought would take an hour, took 3. No complaints. The customer had been dopping us with deer meat for a week prior. :)

Tree work is tree work. IMHO it all gets charged the same hourly rate. For the companies I've worked for, the crew (usually 2 man) will one day be climbing, next day be hedging. Depends on the work being sold.

What do you guys think

I normally charge less for a less technical job. Just like a tree that needs to be climbed - the more stuff around it (fence,shed,wires) the more the price goes up. When the wood is big and the big saws and bars come out (the more likely it is to bend or break something) the more money. So the more gear i have to bring and if its something that the average joe can't do, i charge accordingly.

Thats just the way i see it.

is the crabapple going to ccost you any less to do then an oak? Maybe if you are an owner operator it will.

Is it a prroperty that you want to get in on ffor thee other trees they do not see a need for at this time?

I often will throw in small trees in a bid wwith larger ones, just to rroundd up the bill, or to make my bidd seem more desirable. I'll tell the homeowner that I can do it quick while the crew iis cleaning up. On removalss I will offer the removal of problem trees (especially if they are buckthorn) to make the removal easier.

How you bid is up to you, but you still neeed to make money off of every job. This is where job minimums come in, and that caan bee diiffferent for geografic area. If you drivee down a road at leeast oncce a wweek, and ccan sell the job "at my cconveniance" then ccoming down on the prrice may help makee the sale. I have a client who lowballs all the work near his home/shop becaause he wants too geet more work close by so he can picck those jobs up on the way home, and develope revoling accounts .

I'm an Owner/operator and I like to make as much as I can. As the old saying goes, "Time is Money". When I bid a job, I try to calculate how long it will take, multiply that by my hourly rate add my expenses (disposal fees, extra worker, extra distance, etc.)

Technical jobs usually take more time, therefore more money. For most of the ground work that I do it is usually easier, therefore less time. Either way a 8 hour day is an 8 hour day and I want to get paid the same.

I do have minimums set in my head (if I need to put on spurs, a port-a-wrap, etc.) regardless of how quick the job is done.

The only time I would charge less for any work is if I'm really slow and need the work. Bad trap to easily fall into. OR If it is a "convenience job" similar to what JPS describes in his post.

One example is last spring I bid a "ground job" for less than my going rate because the customer was not in a hurry to have the job done. I had until the end of fall to complete it. I could work on it on a rainy/windy day when I could not do other work. See posted pictures. It is nice to have these "convenience jobs" and I'll lower my rate as I need them.

Market price will usually determine what you can charge anyways. If your getting every job your bidding, your charging too little. If your not getting any then you are more than likely too high.

Sanborn...you been drinking?? What's with all the eextrra lleterrs??

I cannot get Diane's new laptop keyboard to adjust to my hunt and jab typing style. The only one that bounces like that for me in at least 20 years.

The PC is upstairs, so I like to sit with the wireless LAN in my recliner in the morning.

You probably do not know what -7*F feels like :laugh: The furnace goes on every hour, but it is still in the low 60's upstairs in the AM with our little old house.

I do not want to ever know what -7 feels like! Sheesh! Gotta love using a laptop my wife always takes hers back just when I get going...
" Are you on that arborwhateversite again?!" wife exclaims as she grabs computer from me to do her schoolwork.:dizzy:

I do not want to ever know what -7 feels like! Sheesh! Gotta love using a laptop my wife always takes hers back just when I get going...
" Are you on that arborwhateversite again?!" wife exclaims as she grabs computer from me to do her schoolwork.:dizzy:

Can I come and work for you for a few days?

14 °F RealFeel®:-3 °F
Light Snow
Humidity: 80% Dew Point: 9 °F
Pressure: 30.03 in Visibility: 2 Miles
Winds:
Early Morning Tue, Jan 22
Low: 10 °F RealFeel®: -6 °F
Breezy with snow, accumulating an additional 2-4 inches

Tuesday, Jan 22
High: 21 °F RealFeel®: 4 °F
Breezy and cold with clouds breaking for some sun
Tuesday Night, Jan 22
Low: 3 °F RealFeel®: -7 °F
Mostly cloudy, breezy and cold

Wednesday, Jan 23
High: 14 °F RealFeel®: -1 °F
Considerable cloudiness and cold with snow showers, accumulating a coating to an inch
Wednesday Night, Jan 23
Low: -1 °F RealFeel®: -17 °F
Partly cloudy, breezy and very cold

Thursday, Jan 24
High: 15 °F RealFeel®: 2 °F
Partly sunny and cold
Thursday Night, Jan 24
Low: 8 °F RealFeel®: -10 °F
Mainly clear and very cold

Friday, Jan 25
High: 28 °F RealFeel®: 13 °F
Mostly cloudy, breezy and not as cold
Friday Night, Jan 25
Low: 19 °F RealFeel®: 0 °F
Cloudy and breezy; snow, sleet, and freezing rain in the evening followed by a bit of snow late
It warms up for the weekend and it will be in the high 20's low 30's next week

Last edited:
Back