Groundie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's one big hackberry... and a nasty lookin' split and those conks on the trunk... she's bound to be full of dirt and rot after all those years

nice pics :clap:

Thanks. What is a conk?

It is so hollow that three people could get in there at once. I put two big allthread bolts in it in 1990. Future pics will show them.

Last edited:
conks are those fungal growths on the trunk... they're a good indicator of rot in most trees

Wonderful pics.

What I wouldn't give to be in control in a tree. More likely, I would end up being a helicopter rescue. That's assuming they could pry my limbs from around the tree!

Post #3, first pic. Nice GMC. It looks like a V6 emblem on the hood. Is it still running the "big block" V6 after all these years?

Wonderful pics.

What I wouldn't give to be in control in a tree. More likely, I would end up being a helicopter rescue. That's assuming they could pry my limbs from around the tree!

Post #3, first pic. Nice GMC. It looks like a V6 emblem on the hood. Is it still running the "big block" V6 after all these years?

All original, AFAIK........

Great photos,, that would be a fun tree to do! I like a tree that make me have to think! old school too!
I have never seen a hackberry, do they resemble a white or green ash a bit?

Hackberries are native to Kansas. I don't know about ash, so I can't say. White medium hard wood, tough resilient trees, wood rots quick on the ground.

Hackberries are native to Kansas. I don't know about ash, so I can't say. White medium hard wood, tough resilient trees, wood rots quick on the ground.

I was just wondering because a "summer" customer was arguing with me one day and insisted the white ash I trimmed in his yard on lake superior was a hackberry.and insisted he knew everything about trees....he was so damn sur of himself I gave in and told him "well maybe it is" was early in the year, May, and needed the job....It was a White Ash. But did get the job.

Here's a few. More to follow as time and the job progress.
attachment.php

More to follow.

View attachment 86530

I didn't know Jeff Lebowski did tree work:clap:

I forgot to add that those are great pictures!!

Last edited:
excellent pics that's we do here on L I ever day but your man wood not last 2 minutes with me rool number 1 hard hat its does not matter how good your are not hat you walk tom trees

John,

Awesome thread. Be safe. And, put those savings to good use. I'm sure you need no further direction.

Joat

that's some climbing. Spiderman would get the 5hits at that sort of level! great work.

I would hafta wear Pull-ups® if I were standing on those 3-4" limbs way out there like that....LOLOL

And I would be having to change them frequently, I suspect. We'll see how it goes. I will be climbing out on the parts that don't overhang houses.

Two more things....

I was wondering if anybody knows whether hackberry is a suitable lumber wood. I was thinking about making a big beam out of one of the larger pieces. it might be worth investing in a Granberg, since I have an 084 or two lying around...

Also, I have been offered a nice 056 Mag 2 at a good price. I have two, so I am set for that saw right now. I do like the torquey grunt they have, good for stump slicing and burying deep in a wet sappy hardwood! How are they for milling? I would think a rich running, oil gusher would be suited to milling better than a new strato oil trickler....

proof of the chainsaw tree monkey

i heard there is a elusive creature called the chainsaw tree monkey. well i see they do exist:jawdrop: nice picts looks like the poor husky was not up to the class of work:hmm3grin2orange:
:givebeer:
:cheers:

We cut a big blow down Hackberry and it sucks to work with .Well the splitting
part anyway and i dont like the way it burns .But i have a bunch so it keeps the
house warm

We cut a big blow down Hackberry and it sucks to work with .Well the splitting
part anyway and i dont like the way it burns .But i have a bunch so it keeps the
house warm

all the hackberry i've split was pretty easy... almost effortless.
it's a very straight grained wood for the most part

Latest posts

Back