groundmen (drive me nuts, make me laugh,....)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there are good like yourself and then bad ones.

that's a good gm who takes a job another stiff might take and get trained and stay for years while you take it on false pretense to "grow your business" to quit? Davey never hire you if they knew the truth. You are not worth the time and I'd never hire you.

I sympathize with groundies, when I was underpaid and treated like a piece of **** I didn't work hard either.

12-14 an hour gets your truck to the job (reeking like ciggs), your rope a tangled mess, your oil overfilled and dripping down your leg, drag marks and butts in the lawn, and searching craigslist for hookers, trucks and a new job all day.

did you not work hard because of the pay....or did they not pay you much because you don't work hard? all depends on the perspective I guess.

My best groundies are eather eddie (another climber but he dosent do much climbing anymore) or the boss of a local tree company that dosent climb.

both very experianced and know what I want and how to keep the job running tight.

Ive never worked with anyone who has been a groundie for a long time or made a career out of it - someone like that would be a real asset in my eyes.

did you not work hard because of the pay....or did they not pay you much because you don't work hard? all depends on the perspective I guess.

Perspective is a huge part of it all, im just trying to give the groundies perspective to you. When you under pay and undervalue the guy who is apparently responsible for a large portion of the job, you get what you pay for. Most customers dont watch your amazing climbing skills, but they all do see the condition that their yard was left in.

Give a good potential employee a reason to stay and he will. No one came out of the womb the perfect tree guy, we all had to learn at some point. Seems that a lot of climbers and owners forget that or become jaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Davey knew the truth from the get go. I am very honest when I go into a place to apply. I told them that I wanted to start my own company. They said that is fine just do it on my own time and not theirs. So I have been and you can't tell me that when anyone hires a groundsmen you expect them to be there for their whole working career? After a while being a groundsman will take its toll just like climbing. And everyone says that they won't hire someone trying to start their own thing but in my opinion it is smart to hire them. I treat all their equipment like I treat mine. With respect. Because I know how much it costs to buy it and fix it. You hire an average joe of the side of the road and they don't grease anything can't run a chainsaw and don't know how to run a chipper. Everyone has their own opinions and that is just mine.

Davey knew the truth from the get go. I am very honest when I go into a place to apply. I told them that I wanted to start my own company. They said that is fine just do it on my own time and not theirs. So I have been and you can't tell me that when anyone hires a groundsmen you expect them to be there for their whole working career? After a while being a groundsman will take its toll just like climbing. And everyone says that they won't hire someone trying to start their own thing but in my opinion it is smart to hire them. I treat all their equipment like I treat mine. With respect. Because I know how much it costs to buy it and fix it. You hire an average joe of the side of the road and they don't grease anything can't run a chainsaw and don't know how to run a chipper. Everyone has their own opinions and that is just mine.

Good post!
One of the recurring headaches I face with the "terrestrial" crew is a lack of respect for my gear. Equipment getting abused, used inappropriately, or left behind on a job site when the work has been completed.
I make a conscious effort to treat the guys the way I would want to be treated, (example such as: paying them decent, giving time off when sought, occasional meals, working as hard or harder than them) but the journey often seems like it is going down a one-way street. I worked for employers / bosses ranging from mediocre (many) to awesome (only one) before lurching into self-employment.

How'd all you ground doggies get on this tree climbers forum? Where's the bouncer?
This is an arborist forum, not a climbers forums. I know you're probably joking, but I already don't like you and your **** attitude. You're what's wrong with climbers

PP, that will just make his day! Sometimes I want to tell Tree vet to stuff his attitude too, but sometimes I know just how he feels . He has been doing this a long time, and I guess he has earned the right to ***** once in a while.

weeeeeellll....got me a gm that's the schits (better than Kyle, Paul). So I am at one with the tree world again. It's been fun....toodles. :rock:
Glad to hear it. Now, any progress on that dang dump bed?

One problem solved, 99 more to go.

This is an arborist forum, not a climbers forums. I know you're probably joking, but I already don't like you and your **** attitude. You're what's wrong with climbers

Are you an ISA Cert, Arborist? Do you know who you are even talking to, what do you know about climbing and what are your credential's?
Speak up.
Jeff :p

First of all this guy's main attraction to his business is that it is "affordable". Any service that has that on the marquis isn't worth schit in my opinion as they should be promoting the virtues of their company, not the fact that it is cheap. Also I have my doubts that this guy went to Davey and told them that he was starting his own company while being hired and they were fine with that and hired him and told him to just do that on his own time...I call bs on that. Would you hire this clown Jeff? I wouldn't. Next...he is gonna start his own company and he is just a gm and has a huge pimple on his ascs about climbers. Hope momma's got a job cause she gonna be paying all the bills while he stays home watching Jerry Springer.

Back