growing liquid amber trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the gift of knowledge

Excellent reference pieces there. Thank you

Can a chip be installed into the phloem/cambim of a much larger limb? :rolleyes:

Just pure curiosity. :cool: Here's a pic...

budding/grafting

I believe that a chip bud could work but there may be some better techniques to employ on a larger, more mature branch. I'll check and report back. (????...I just used spell check and infected my comp with a pop up thing).

rooterpot?

Chucky said:
Hey Elmore!

What do you think of this great invention, the rooterpot?

http://www.rootrainers.co.uk/supplies/rooterpot
hmmm...sounds good to me. I have used the old fashioned, awkward methods before but I am open to new, more refined techniques. Need more info. Does it utilize moss or some other media? How many quid will it put me back, including shipping, handling and customs? Send samples.

Chainsaw may be needed

Tree Machine said:
Excellent reference pieces there. Thank you

Can a chip be installed into the phloem/cambim of a much larger limb? :rolleyes:

Just pure curiosity. :cool: Here's a pic...
Man, that's one butt ugly tree. Can you get a better picture? heh heh
Chip budding or most any graft may work. The main things to consider are good cambial contact and timing.
I recommend that you check out a book called "The Grafter's Handbook" by R.J. Garner. It's an old favorite. Been around a long time. Your library may have it or it can be purchased for about $17.00-$20.00 or so. Look up "Prong Budding". Also "Side Rind Graft", " 'Plant Pot' Rind Graft", "Awl Graft", "Peg Graft", "Slit Graft" and "Inverted L Graft". Many other techniques of grafting and budding, that may be of use, are illustrated and described in this book. I think "Prong Budding" is an appropriate graft for such an ugly tree. :p

Another suggestion

Before sealing your graft, apply a solution of IBA to stimulate callous formation and keep that silicon goop away from your graft. Use a grafting wax or even better, Lac Balsam or Doc Farwell's Seal & Heal or Grafting Seal.

More great resource from Elmore. Thanks, man.

Sorry about the butt-ugly tree. I did actually have in mind a particular tree, but the problem is, it's not a Sweetgum. To tell you about it would be to derail the thread. I'll show the pics as it is a variegated beech, prompted by your variegated <i>styraciflua</i>.

Does Elmore sell trees? I am just curious. You're specialty, if I am to recall correctly, is in the asexual propagation of odd, unusual and exceedingly cool trees. Is this true?

...... Elmore....? I'm getting the feeling that you're either a closet geek genius horticulturist, or possibly the department chair at U of A. What's your deal, Man?

Liquid Amber help

This is my first posting for this web site and hope someone out there can answer my questions. I've taken some of the spiny seed balls from a couple of liquid amber trees growing in the park across the street from my house. One of the trees is a brilliant red and the other not quite as vivid. If I plant the seed balls will it grow or do I need to do something to the seed balls first? Are there lots of seeds inside one of these balls or do I plant the whole thing? Also, will the seed balls from the trees have the same color leaves as the parent tree or do I take my chances on the leaf color? Thanks for any info you can provide. R!

Get a cup and shake the spiny seed balls, preferably still hanging from the tree, you should see seeds. Get a small container, fill with loose soil- potting soil with some sand, put seeds on top spaced out and cover with thin layer of soil. Water with spray bottle. Make sure soil is already very moist. Then put in window at home that gets sunlight but not too hot. I have three such pots going now. Good luck

Back