Growing Wood Pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigrod

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Been lucky this year to be able to get to a lot of free wood. I have cut and spit more so far this year than I have in the last 5 years. Got me enough to last for the next 3 to 4 years and have been able to help out my sister and BIL. He had cancer last year in the base of his neck and they had to fuse 6 out of the 7 vertebrate together so he hasn't been able to cut any for them. He just can't bend over and has trouble turning from side to side so I cut for them too. Here's a few pics of what my pile started at and looks like now and a few from their house.

The Start
attachment.php

As of Today 7/24
attachment.php

Last edited:
A nice cut and split pile of firewood is better n money in the bank! You have been busier than a beaver lately!

Just a question- will the wood in the second pic dry and not rot? It doesn't look like it has enough space to release the moisture.

Very good job on helping the family, and all of that split wood makes my back hurt just to look at it!!!

Just a question- will the wood in the second pic dry and not rot? It doesn't look like it has enough space to release the moisture.

Very good job on helping the family, and all of that split wood makes my back hurt just to look at it!!!

That is exactly how I stack and so far it has worked out just fine. The wood on the outside dries a bit faster but no rotting problems in the center as long as I stack on pallets. The pile all seems to shrink at about the same rate, I got no rot, the wood burns without spiting and boiling so I gotta believe it is drying OK.

The average time firewood stays in my stack is 16-24 months before burning. Stacking 8' deep may slow down the drying a bit, but it doesn't seem to stop it.

Got it all picked up and stacked for them so it's no longer piled up. Just had it piled up like that unloading the truck and trailer several times. No fun stacking when it's a 100 out!!

Good load on that Chevrolet,although that sycamore is heavy and tuff to split.The other wood I saw on your truck is what we call hornbeam here in WV.Makes good wood.Kudos for helping out your family.Kinda hard to see the need for firewood in 100 degree heat,but it sure pays off when there 2 foot of snow on the ground

Nice pics Rod. Your freaking nuts to be doing that in this 100 degree 85% humidity weather were having.

Wow! your going too town!

Nice work man!....your just like a lot of us CAD Addicts on A.S.
Yes, you have enough wood cut for 3-4 years of harsh winters, but you
Know as well as I you'll be out there getting even more next year.
Kudos too you for helping out your loved ones in need.

I have the same addiction...my pile this year so far: View attachment 246281

Nice work man!....your just like a lot of us CAD Addicts on A.S.
Yes, you have enough wood cut for 3-4 years of harsh winters, but you
Know as well as I you'll be out there getting even more next year.
Kudos too you for helping out your loved ones in need.

I have the same addiction...my pile this year so far: View attachment 246281

Is that a Makita I see in your pile. Just picked up a couple 6401's, haven't ran them yet.

Have to get the stuff cut up and split when you can. I work nights so most of it I have been doing as it breaks daylight and hitting it for a couple of hours before it gets to hot. Then shower and bed. I sleep a little better after a good workout. The fellow that farms down by my place said that he will be clearing out the water way this fall and wanted to know if I could use some more wood. Hmmmmm what to do. He has a skid steer with a grapple on it and dumped that pile up in the yard last year. Doesn't get much easier than that. Drop it trim it up and getting put where you want it. Kinda hard to pass that up.

Is that a Makita I see in your pile. Just picked up a couple 6401's, haven't ran them yet.

Have to get the stuff cut up and split when you can. I work nights so most of it I have been doing as it breaks daylight and hitting it for a couple of hours before it gets to hot. Then shower and bed. I sleep a little better after a good workout. The fellow that farms down by my place said that he will be clearing out the water way this fall and wanted to know if I could use some more wood. Hmmmmm what to do. He has a skid steer with a grapple on it and dumped that pile up in the yard last year. Doesn't get much easier than that. Drop it trim it up and getting put where you want it. Kinda hard to pass that up.

.....being ahead on firewood is ALWAYS a good place to be, well done, and yes that is hard to pass up;)

First off goodonya for helping those in need and less able than yourself. I too have more wood this year than ever before, due to a neighbor who has a bad heart and cannot thin or clean up his own property. I am thinning his place for him, and in exchange he gave me his Husky 61, which is one of my fav saws. I get to keep all of the firewood, and so far have barely made a dent in the 40 acres of pine and oak. I will be turning 71 in a couple of weeks, and I believe working hard all my life is what keeps me healthy. Most of my friends my age have died off in the last 10 years. It is a great way to spend a day with my dogs, cutting and hauling. We get to see deer and turkeys, and an occasional elk while hauling. A real bonus is those winter fires, burning the slash piles and enjoying the outdoors. The Lord has been real good to me and mine. This is a great site for saw enthusiasts, and I have really learned a lot here. I have had saws for over 40 years, and never knew how to maintain them properly or even that there was different size and pitch of chain until I started visiting this site. May GOD bless you all.

Latest posts

Back