Guide bar question and rant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneStaple

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So after much searching, I found a place that sold 36" sprocket nose guide bars for my Stihl 051 (seems like no one sells them anymore for the large mount Stihls).

Got the bar today, and they sent me a hard nose bar by Stens, which I was told was a replacement bar since GB had been bought out by Stens. Of course, they didn't let me know that they were sending a hard nose instead of a sprocket before they did, nor does their website have any mention of the sprocket noses no longer being sold (well, it lists sprocket noses for sale, but obviously that's not what you get). So now I have to go through the hassle of both sending it back and finding someone else that has a bar to fit my saw.

Now that the rant is done, on with the question. I'm pretty sure I've always heard people say to use a sprocket nose on a CSM to make it easier on the chainsaw. Should I go ahead with the return, or will the hard nose work? The 051 is 89 cc.

Thanks,
Tyler

Actually Tyler, I have always heard that the sprocket was not necessary and the hardnose was the thing to get. That said, I use a sprocket because it was cheaper at Baileys.

you can play around with different pitches with a hard nose bar i,m running a .325,063gauge on a 20 inch bar, and it seems to hold the oil in more, a sprocket seems to throw it.

I highly recommend using a sprocket or roller nose for milling. You can get away with a hard nose but at the cost of lost performance and increased wear and tear. Hard nose bars are intended to be used with more slack in the chain than sprocket or roller nose bars but when milling, slack chains cause derailments. The only real advantage hard nose bars have over sprocket nose bars is increased life in dirty conditions.

Who did you order the bar from?

Yeah, similar to what aggiewoodbutchr said, I had understood that the sprocket helped in milling where there was a lot of strain on the chainsaw. I wouldn't mind hard tip for regular cutting, and I certainly like its ability to handle different pitches.

I don't want to bad mouth the company that I got it from too much, cause they are willing to refund my money and pay for me shipping it back, but I guess I'm just a little frustrated with not knowing before I ordered or before they shipped it to me. I'm also overly eager to spend a couple days trying my new CSM setup before I have to leave the country this weekend for a few weeks, so not having a bar would make that rather difficult (which adds to the frustration). And the other products that I got from them were just fine. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But the company was Pat's Small Engine Plus (www.psep.biz).

I'm almost tempted to go to the local Stihl dealership and see if they have something that'll fit (they thought they did when I called a while back), but I'm not convinced that's the best route to go.

--Tyler

Yeah, similar to what aggiewoodbutchr said, I had understood that the sprocket helped in milling where there was a lot of strain on the chainsaw. I wouldn't mind hard tip for regular cutting, and I certainly like its ability to handle different pitches.

I don't want to bad mouth the company that I got it from too much, cause they are willing to refund my money and pay for me shipping it back, but I guess I'm just a little frustrated with not knowing before I ordered or before they shipped it to me. I'm also overly eager to spend a couple days trying my new CSM setup before I have to leave the country this weekend for a few weeks, so not having a bar would make that rather difficult (which adds to the frustration). And the other products that I got from them were just fine. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But the company was Pat's Small Engine Plus (www.psep.biz).

I'm almost tempted to go to the local Stihl dealership and see if they have something that'll fit (they thought they did when I called a while back), but I'm not convinced that's the best route to go.

--Tyler

I like the GB protop, and I like any Stihl bar. Stihl bars and chain cost a little more than the others but I think you get enough extra running out of them to mack it worth the extra money. Jim

I run a 42" woodsman pro (sprocket nose) on an 051 and have milled several thousand bf with no problems and very littel bar wear. I bought it from bailey's years ago when they were cheaper. I think current price is close to $160. Judging from the about of bar wear on the woodsman pro vs the greater amount of bar wear on my 038 with a stihl bar I think the woodsman pro bars are worth the money.

mantis - cutterschoice didn't have anything that would fit the 051.

Local Stihl place can get me a 41" Duromatic for $100 (can also get 36", but didn't know the price). I might go with this option.

**EDIT** Now I have myself confused as to what local businesses said what. The Duromatic is hard tip, but I think that's what they said they could get. Another place said sprocket nose (I think) for $110.**EDIT**

Jacob - I think Tennessee might be a bit of a drive for this, unless they ship as well.

Only bar on Bailey's that I saw that would work is a Woodsman Pro for $160. I understand they're nice, but I was hoping to find something for a little less, at least until I start making some decent money (I'm between graduation and starting work in a month and a half).

--Tyler

Last edited:
So after much searching, I found a place that sold 36" sprocket nose guide bars for my Stihl 051 (seems like no one sells them anymore for the large mount Stihls).

Got the bar today, and they sent me a hard nose bar by Stens, which I was told was a replacement bar since GB had been bought out by Stens. Of course, they didn't let me know that they were sending a hard nose instead of a sprocket before they did, nor does their website have any mention of the sprocket noses no longer being sold (well, it lists sprocket noses for sale, but obviously that's not what you get). So now I have to go through the hassle of both sending it back and finding someone else that has a bar to fit my saw.

Now that the rant is done, on with the question. I'm pretty sure I've always heard people say to use a sprocket nose on a CSM to make it easier on the chainsaw. Should I go ahead with the return, or will the hard nose work? The 051 is 89 cc.

Thanks,
Tyler

just went through exactly this for my 051 (that morphed into an 076 ;))- I'm in UK but trying to mail order from US. I had to double/triple check they knew large mount Stihl was different from the rest, and a couple of times almost ended up with the wrong one.

I was going to go for a Canon for $120, I think from Madsens, but can't quite remember (I rang so many places). I ended up getting a good 2nd hand 36" sprocketnose off ebay ($50+p&p). It was the old style narrow nose and I then had a hard time finding a replacement sprocket tip (I wanted 3/8). Found one eventually, and the part numbers...

Last edited:
Yeah, I think you first started the discussion on where to buy large mount bars around the same time I started looking, which was helpful for me. Also made me aware of the problem.

I've been keeping my eye on ebay recently. Difficulty is that most of them that go through are .404 instead of 3/8 (I'm also looking for 3/8). I might go the ebay route and replace the tip (which of course means another chunk of money).

I've been keeping my eye on ebay recently. Difficulty is that most of them that go through are .404 instead of 3/8 (I'm also looking for 3/8). I might go the ebay route and replace the tip (which of course means another chunk of money).

I'd go this route again I think - I hear people saying Stihl are better than most, and as long as the seller posts good pics of the bar or will refund I reckon it's the way to go. And I don't think the tips are too bad over your way are they?

In fact, some on there now I see, you watching?

just went through exactly this for my 051 (that morphed into an 076 ;))- I'm in UK but trying to mail order from US. I had to double/triple check they knew large mount Stihl was different from the rest, and a couple of times almost ended up with the wrong one.

I was going to go for a Canon for $120, I think from Madsens, but can't quite remember (I rang so many places). I ended up getting a good 2nd hand 36" sprocketnose off ebay ($50+p&p). It was the old style narrow nose and I then had a hard time finding a replacement sprocket tip (I wanted 3/8). Found one eventually, and the part numbers...

Since the original poster is running an 051 I don't feel too bad about hijacking this thread. Would you care to expand on the 051 to 075 conversion? I have gathered all the parts except gaskets for a similar conversion. The bigest reason I have not done mine is that the new jug is the newer style with round sides while my old jug has the square base with the two little notches. I think if I mill .060" off the bottom of the cylinder and then make a "gasket" out of .060" aluminium to cover the small area of the notches in the case not covered by the new cylinder I should be ok. I have a friend with a mill but just havent found the tuime to get over and shave my cylinder down.

The other delima I am havng is whether to use the muffler off the TS760 or if I should cut the manifold off it and graft it onto the 051 muffler, any thoughts? The 051 muffler actualy has a bigger expansion chamber which is why I was thionking about the muffler mod. How did you do the re threading for the larger cylinder studs?

Since the original poster is running an 051 I don't feel too bad about hijacking this thread. Would you care to expand on the 051 to 075 conversion? I have gathered all the parts except gaskets for a similar conversion. The bigest reason I have not done mine is that the new jug is the newer style with round sides while my old jug has the square base with the two little notches. I think if I mill .060" off the bottom of the cylinder and then make a "gasket" out of .060" aluminium to cover the small area of the notches in the case not covered by the new cylinder I should be ok. I have a friend with a mill but just havent found the tuime to get over and shave my cylinder down.

The other delima I am havng is whether to use the muffler off the TS760 or if I should cut the manifold off it and graft it onto the 051 muffler, any thoughts? The 051 muffler actualy has a bigger expansion chamber which is why I was thionking about the muffler mod. How did you do the re threading for the larger cylinder studs?

hmm, this is a mega derailment... I'm linking you to a new thread - http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=949026#post949026

Ref getting a sprocket nose bar

Hi there,

Cannon (as in the cannon superbars) made in Canada do a 36" bar with sproket for the larger Stihl saws http://www.cannonbar.com/ - at least for the Stihl MS880.... I know for def as I am holding one in my hand now ready to go on my own saw!

But they are more expensive though......

Hi there,

Cannon (as in the cannon superbars) made in Canada do a 36" bar with sproket for the larger Stihl saws http://www.cannonbar.com/ - at least for the Stihl MS880.... I know for def as I am holding one in my hand now ready to go on my own saw!

But they are more expensive though......

I special ordered a Cannon bar, 3/8 X 50 X 36" from Madsans years ago. It took a little time and a lot of money but it came in perfect shape and works great on the 084 and 075. While I was waiting for it to come I took a GB PRO TOP bar that I use on my 066 to the machine shop and had it cut to match
the 084 bar. It also works great on all the saws.

Actually Tyler, I have always heard that the sprocket was not necessary and the hardnose was the thing to get. That said, I use a sprocket because it was cheaper at Baileys.

I like the hardnose the best for milling.My saws have no trouble when using them.Plus it gives you the extra inch or two as you can clamp closer to the end.Oil seems to stay on them better also.You don't have to worry about wearing out the sprocket either.:)

Last edited:
Back