Gullet removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtorque1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I think it was Gypo Logger who said that removing the gullet on a round filed full chisel chain will make it smooth and fast. Can someone shed some more light on this as to how much to remove and how best to do it? Thanks!

John

372XP Husky
046Mag Stihl
036 Pro Stihl

Slowtorque: The space betweeen the depth guide and the cutter can be deepened and blended into an arc that will allow more chip space and smoother flow of the chips, giving somewhat faster cutting times. Don't remove any material directly over the rivets so as to weaken the chain. The picture below is square filed chisel but similar shape in the gullet can be done on round filed chain. The material is removed with your regular round file after sharpening.

Frank

Nice job, Frank.

Do you think the time spent enlarging the gullet would ever be recovered?  In terms of competition it would likely be worth it regardless, but do you think it has value for field use beyond killing some time with a beer in the shop?  I suppose if one worked in situations where a less-than-full complement chain were in order because of clearing problems it might extend the usability a bit before needing to make the switch.

I leave my gullets as they form while filing and near as I can tell, the little point that's left right at the start does not protrude outward beyond the rivet.  They work acceptably for me, even when the tooth is back to the witness mark.  Though I must confess that my curiosity has now been piqued...

Glen

Filing the gullet deeply is definitely worth the time, even on an otherwise normally sharpened chain. It doesn`t seem like it would have much affect on the surface of the idea but you will see the benefit when you try it. Russ

Glen: Take a brand new chain and time a couple of cuts then deepthroat it without doing anything else, and see how much you gain. You can probably gain proportionately more after a few filings too.

Frank

I don't think I want to touch that one, even <i>in</i> context!

Glen

thats the clearest pic of square grnd ive seen. i can see why it would cut good now. if i could do it.id try some. but
im just getting by with my round grnd..
had a chance to get a loop of square
grnd recently but ,i figured it spoil me.:)
my appologies glen im pedaling, fast as i can.:)

Glen: dont be drooling over my chain. I think you watch too much late night TV. That chain did cut well, but I went a bit too far in some aspects of kerf narrowing and broke off a tooth when I hit on an exposed corner of a hardwood block.

Frank

Back