Guy falling out of a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guy falling

....he seems to be missing something.... like a belt... was he even going to strap himself in? Darwin at work once again.

Even if I go up 5-10 feet, I tie in just for that reason. I'd be the first to fall the day I didn't.

Hi Trees+ welcome, I always hear about spurless types using ladders.....hey at least this guy was trying to do something, would have been better of sitting on his ass watching tv, but at least he tried.

TreeCo said:
Looks like that guy has the potential I.Q. to become a spike climber.

If he hits his head again that is!
Was going to say something funny and put you in your place but you might run snivelling to the man, you sure can give it but you can't take it, wahhh.

So let me make sure I have this right. If you are cutting a limb off a tree, you sit on the side towards the tree?

This guy is dressed in typical lawn mower/ landscaping guy garb. Green shirt, kahki shorts with boots and 3 pagers, 4 cell phones, walkman and a leatherman on his side.
I bet the homeowner is the one taking the pic.
-Ralph

It's an old photoshop. Most falls off of ladders are because the ladder slips, in this picture the ladder is still perched precariously against the tree. The guy is standing on the ground but it's photochopped away. And look at the saw.

That is NOT an altered picture! Google something like "ladder/tree accident wisconsin" and you'll find the information.

The photographer got an award for the series of pics. The "Best of..." award was at least from Wisconsin and may have been a national award. Here is the whole series.

Interesting to deconstruct how this guy went down besides the fact that he was doing something stupid.

1. In the first photo check out the still attached but hanging (or dropping) large chunk of limb. There is a drop zone problem. The ladder is in the drop zone.

2. In the second photo, the guy has liftoff. But how? The bottom end of the limb hit the ground, the top of it tipped towards the ladder. It hit the left underside of the ladder around halfway up causing it to rotate on the axis of the right leg (amazing that the right foot of the ladder stayed planted and the top right of the ladder rail stayed on the limb) flipping the guy to his right and down.

3. In this photo the eagle has landed. Where's the ladder? It's still bouncing around against the trunk after he "kicked off".

4. Last photo, there's the ladder! Finally bounced back off the trunk and came down. Would you call that a sheepish smile? Or just "I'm glad to be standing up, could you get me my back-up shorts?"

If the log hit the ladder square, a few inches to the left I think he would've gone straight back with the ladder and possibly the log on top of him. someone will have to do a reenactment to see what the different trajectories of the climber would be with the log hitting the ladder at different points :)

Amazing photos, the claims adjusters must've had a field day with these. Thanks for posting the originals Tom.
-moss

ladder climbers

Hey,
That brings up some more questions from this new kid to the forum:

How many around this electron-campfire actually ladder climb to get started on removals or high trims. We actually do ladder up to 35'-40' then tie-in and proceed from there. Never had any problems. We don't do that many large removals - just large trims - so that's why no spur climbing. (guess we could start the no-spur climb thread here...)

..just always learning...

Good Eyes , moss

Way to go Moss, you should be a detective. I bet your favorite show is CSS. Very commendable attention to detail !

treespluscalif said:
Hey,
That brings up some more questions from this new kid to the forum:

How many around this electron-campfire actually ladder climb to get started on removals or high trims. We actually do ladder up to 35'-40' then tie-in and proceed from there. Never had any problems. We don't do that many large removals - just large trims - so that's why no spur climbing. (guess we could start the no-spur climb thread here...)

..just always learning...
35'-40' up on a ladder, I have been about 25' max on a ladder, working construction with the ladder firmly planted and the top against a building, which is solid and straight. The ladders in tree work are against something that can move, cylindrical if the trunk and could break if against a branch. No thanks, and why can't you just spurless up the tree, if it is so much faster than spurs, which I have heard here more than once?. Notice I am being polite, not advocating the use of spurs, just asking for some honesty.

We sometime use a ladder for access.
Even when spiking.
I guess its just being lazy
but some times its easier.
I never cut from a ladder....
Almost never....

fall

i bet the saw survived better than he did ,
you should always have a few beer first so when you hit the ground your not all tensed up.

ladder climbers

Clearence,

I guess we're just a bit lazy with our ladders - never cut with ladder as "base" always with flipline tight. Only had one close call in last couple of years when limb twisted when line loaded (must be the line twisted) and struck ladder - didn't dislodge ladder or climber. And I admit we use our 16' much more often than the 32 or 40. :)

Latest posts

Back