Guys, don't get complacent out there!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That vid is the biggest freakin lesson learned I've ever seen or heard. Funny thing is I'm always telling myself exactly what Brad preached...don't get complacent, I literally say that to myself when I go out....but nothing could ram the point home more than that Vid. I really appreciate you posting it, even knowing how some would react.

Thanks for posting this. It is a sobering reminder that mistakes do happen, even among people who know better and have run saws/dropped trees/limbed up/worked blowdowns and snags/etc. time and time before. The risks are real, and there isn't a reset button. What happened here was one step away from an unhappy ending. It could happen to any of us, frankly. This past year Caseyforrest's father-in-aw was killed by a tree he was cutting, in his own yard; he died many years before his time.

The difference between a close call, an injury, and getting killed can be mere inches, seconds, a small wind gust, or something like that.

Be careful out there, guys! This saw stuff may be fun, but it isn't risk free.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the "How to" video .

Thanks for posting and am glad that you are now a graduate from the school of hard knocks and not a flunkie .

All puns aside , I do most of my cutting alone and try to remember all the lessons that people have shared good or bad , thanks for the reminder and I am glad that you are still here to post .

Hi Brad: That was definitely a close call. Glad you're still with us. Tree felling isn't as smooth as some people try to make it. As RVALUE put it; it all boils down to 'variables'. PPE becomes very important to those of us who survive an incident without it.

Brad, glad you are still with us. And thanks for posting. Hopefully for ever one critic there are 10 guys who got their eyes opened that there is real danger in falling trees, even with PPE (as shown in your video, a hard hat would have helped but you got smashed twice -well, actually at least 4 times if you count the forehead into the stump). We all, including those who can recite the drill in their sleep, occassionally need the reminder in your title. Ron

Atgatt

THAT'S GONNA BE A SWEET SHINER!!glad your'e ok,and,thanks for sharing.everyone can learn something from this.as for ppe's on the tank of my motorcycle is a small sticker that says "ATGATT it's not if but when".ATGATT stands for all the gear all the time,it's the same in the woods!

Heal quickly, and thanks for sharing that.

I've done some unsafe things over the years, and even some stuff that when I look back on, I wonder how I'm still here.

Hi Brad: (Now I know your name)

I see your name (blsnelling) in lots of posts. I'm just so glad you're OK. It was by the grace of God. I commend you for your courage in sharing it with us. It made me think about how I do things. Some changes are in order. Ya did the right thing man. :rock:

Thank you !

Don <><

attachment.php

Brad, thanks. I am a rookie to the game and have had a casual attitude when cutting down trees. A real eye opener for sure. You did your job by posting this, giving us all a chance to learn from your mistake.

from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Glad that you are ok brad. It takes a true man to admit the mistake they have made. We are all human and we all make mistakes. hope your head heals quick.
jason

Well glad you're ok. I didn't know you needed a new 32" bar from the weekends troubles. I don't wear much ppe but when dropping trees I usually put on a hard hat.

Thanks for the post

Brad,
Glad to hear your OK (mostly). I'm a newbie that has read a lot of your posts and glad you can still do it.
I wear PPE most of the time. Your accident will cause me to wear it all the time.
You did the right thing by sharing your close call with us, I know that took some big ones to do it.
Thanks
Gary in CT

Pure Speculation on my part, Not sure a basic skull bucket would have helped you here. Looks like your head is down and you got pummeled a few times. My bet is that your helmet would have been gone by the time the big one hit you.

I wear a Petzl climbing helmet with the muffs and face shield now. The straps should help keep the helmet in place if it goes bad. My personal preference only mind you. I like having the helmet secure on my head for getting on the tractor, bending over, etc, and it is lighter than the Stihl helmet.

Don't be afraid to tell the Doc if you have some issues down the road. I avoided going to the Doc and suffered the side effects after I got hit last year.

Got shivers and goose bumps watching your video. I normally love watching your vids. This one, not so much. Good for learning but scary stuff that nightmares are made of.

Wish you the best and fast healing!

Glad you are OK Brad, and parrisw too! Thank you for sharing and reminding us of what can happen.

(BTW - before reading the thread I assumed that your title "Guys, don't get complacent out there!!!" was to admonish us that we had better not forget that tomorrow is Valentine's Day!!!)

Philbert

Brad, you done right sharing this, kudos to you and glad you will be alright.

Myself I dont take many chances dropping trees I got my education years ago. You remember I posted how my dad was out of work and was cutting firewood to sell with that Super EZ?

Well he had a big bushy Oak jump the stump on him and liked to kill him. The only thing that saved him was he was under the yoke of the tree. My brother had to cut the tree off of him to get him out from under it while he was unconscious. Long story but he survived and we all took lesson from it.

As for the hard hat? Just luck of the draw anyway, they get knocked off and dont always save you in a instance like this.

Mistakes are made, and lessons learned. Glad you came out of it mostly none the worse for wear, and are here to tell about it.

Brad, you better thank the good lord tonight. Happy to see your ok, Your video has me convinced to start wearing my helmet even when my pop is not around. I always wear it when he's watching, but never when Im alone. What a dope right? Thanks for being brave enough to post it and make me wake up.

I am glad you are ok but now your

branned husky your going to have to sell all your stihls, to bad you could send a few to montana for us to use!!!! by the way I had a top fall out of a tree smack my stihl helmet right on the top, busted it to crap but saved my head ! I got a new one for christmas !

Back