Gypo's piped 346 husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdhotsaw2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Finally finished up john's 346 husky. I don't know what all the fuss was about, It only took about nine months to finish. I was sitting here one afternoon last month and john shows up with 2 big, burly friends from toronto. Well, I worked well into the night finishing the 346 under threat of great bodily harm. When we tested it at 2:30 in the morning waking up all my neighbors we new it was a runner. we ran it at a local saw race in oroville and managed a 8.08 second cut in the six cube class in a 18 inch. not fast enough to win but it suprised a few folks. its the fastest 346 out there. Hopefully this will keep john happy for a while. lol, enclosed some pictures
ken

Hi Ken, I got the pipe in the mail today, so I bet I get the saw tommorrow. Robert had to send it in two packages. I will post some times when I get it. Now I have 4 346's.
John

346 piped husky

hello little leroi,
you had better look that saw over carefully, when he ran it a oroville he came and asked me if a 346 barrel and a 026 stihl barrel would interchange. I told him of course they would. I think thats why he's had your saw so long.
ken

Hey, Ken, Lit'l Leroy,
Steve here... Cute little hotsaw guys!!! Hey John, maybee if you come down for Christmas, you could bring your lit'l 346 and trim up my Giant Sequoia's
Steven

Hi Ken, just got off the phone to Rotax, said he mistakenly sent the 346KDP to Doug Babcock, so I guess I will have to wait another 20 months for the carbon dated 346, but then again, there is no wine before it's time.

Hi Ken, just got off the phone to Rotax, said he mistakenly sent the 346KDP to Doug Babcock, so I guess I will have to wait another 20 months for the carbon dated 346, but then again, there is no wine before it's time.
Lil Leroy

Hi Ken, got the KD 346 today, what a lil ripper with the muffler. The header for the pipe got bent in shipment, but it's nothing I can't buff out. Will make some timed cuts tomorrow against my JD 346. Called 7 times today, but your phone line is still messed up, wanted you to hear 2 346's run in unison ore' the phone.
John

Hi Steve....
John here......,
Not a problem, will be heading South to Dozer Dan's, will bring french frying artillery with to slice and dice unasuming Sequouiaoua.
John

Lambert Logger
Here is a picture of your PPP346.
It should be fun when you come down here.
It will sound like a heard of Bumble Bees.
There will be at least 5 346s here at that time.
Later
Dan

Hi Dan, that is great ,thanks.
When we all meet at your place we should call it the 346 Fest. They will all be lined up at the gate to try and beat my KD 346.
Do you think it will beat Woodsjunkies 372?
After doing the math and dynoing out the 346KD it shows up at just under 8HP with the pipe.
Will show when the ground freezes.
Lambert Logger

ok a stupid question. if that thing is making 8 hp..
is there any danger of it just blowin up on u. or just coming apart all of a sudden.
it sounded real good in the video from the other post. but i just wondered
if thats a factor to be considered.

Good point Tony. I have a 250 CanAm rotax motor that a man made into a chain saw. He was running it when the rod let go. It sent a piece down and into his leg. He sold it right after that. I had a saw blow the cylinder off the crankcase when a broken piston piece got between the piston and head. Lucky me- not a scratch. Les Skirvin had a multitude of stitches to his arm, after the chain flew off his 500 race saw. Dennis Harvey showed me his chain scars too. The fact that more saws don't blow up after all the stuff we do to them is a testament to the engineering built into these machines.
Bottom line is anytime modifications are made to our machines catastrophic falure can occur at any time. It would take someone like Doug Babcock to compute the energy in a rotating flywheel @ 15,000 RPM, because I don't know how. Mike

Give me the flywheel diameter and weight and I'll figure that out for ya, Mike. Of course, if you can also give me the cross-sectional mass profile or at least a centerline cross-sectional view with the mark-space ratio of the cooling fins, it'll be a much more accurate answer.

Here's an interesting one. When William Weldon of the University of Texas was doing work for the government on the "EM" or "Rail" gun (which uses an electrical pulse to propel a plastic cube projectile), most of the work involved developing an extremely well controlled, high energy pulse in the Megajoule power range (a Megajoule is equivalent to 1 million Watt-seconds, a sh!tload of energy). This kind of power, used to propel a 3 inch solid plastic cube (think Rubic's cube) down a set of 15 foot rails, was capable of "muzzle velocities" of over 25,000 fps. I don't know how many grains a cube that size weighs, but since energy is proportional to the square of the velocity, it's not hard to understand why this plastic cube could penetrate 6" of armor plate. One energy source that proved viable was a special motor/generator that spun a 3 foot diameter, 300 lb. flywheel at 3600 RPM. The series resistance of its windings was so low, and its magnetic coupling was so good, that when the gun was fired, the flywheel would come to a full stop in less than 1/4 of a revolution. A few people were injured and many flywheels were scattered because of the extreme deceleration before they got the design correct. I built a capacitor banked rail gun some time ago and ended up with 26 stitches over my eye when it bounced a 2 inch cube off of a cement wall and directly back at me. A trip to the hospital and a catcher's mask later, the bugs were worked out and she was firing the cubes across a 300 yard pond and through 12 inch pine trees on the other side. My friend's chronograph had the velocity at slightly over 7000 fps.

Great chainsaw stuff, eh?

Back