hacks with chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksman08

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has any advice on getting rid of "fly by night" companies that swoop into town after a storm and leaving. Most of us probably do not have a problem with someone trying to make a living but these guys are climbing live trees with spikes. making internodal cuts, and topping. they put a bad label on the industry. the city is very uncooperative in this issue as they have very lacks tree regulations. any help would be appreciated.

jacksman08

just wondering if anyone has any advice on getting rid of "fly by night" companies that swoop into town after a storm and leaving. Most of us probably do not have a problem with someone trying to make a living but these guys are climbing live trees with spikes. making internodal cuts, and topping. they put a bad label on the industry. the city is very uncooperative in this issue as they have very lacks tree regulations. any help would be appreciated.

jacksman08

Not much you can do to get rid of them.

Just do your job well and word of mouth will keep you busy.

There will always be a "fly by night" company trying to get your business.

jacksman08

Most states and provinces have government legislation where only licensed & insured tree services can do pruning. Whole tree removal is another story almost universally less lenient. But home/ property owner beware, if tree service has no insurance or workers comp the property owner may be liable for any injuries that the workers incur on their property,in other wards the property owner could be paying the workers lifetime medical bills.
So to get rid of fly by nighters turn them in if not licensed, insured/ workers comp.

Last edited:
I just got a call from the police this afternoon, asking about a local bunch of criminals and hacks known as COSAC and some burglarys.

Every arborist in town wants these guys to fall into there own chipper but they are still operating after at least 5 years of standover tactics, raising prices on quotes, cons, destruction and generally being right bastards.

Not much you can do

There is something we can do- go to our state legislators as an industry and lobby for regulations. If we do not get some sort of regulations these types of business will continue to give all of us a bad name. I believe that it is time we as an industry pull together and put a stop to this. I think the TCIA would help us with this.

you might as well get use to them and just don't stoop to their level, we can push for regulation and such but if they are not legit now why would regulations stop them, people will continue to hire the low ball scum (wait, that's me) because they get the work done dirt cheap...............

you might as well get use to them and just don't stoop to their level, we can push for regulation and such but if they are not legit now why would regulations stop them, people will continue to hire the low ball scum (wait, that's me) because they get the work done dirt cheap...............

They will be thinking twice being faced with a $10,000.00 fine for performing tree work without the proper credentials.

They will be thinking twice being faced with a $10,000.00 fine for performing tree work without the proper credentials.

No they wont. They'll pass the Polan "Wild Thing" to their brother in law, and catch back up with him after the deportation hearing.

Credentials?
give me a break..........

This is life in the real world.

Shown up to many a messed up yard and trees that look like ****.
homeowner wants the mess cleaned up, freaks at the price I quote him, and I tell him "you get what you pay for" as I get in my car and leave.

Cheap is no economy.

Say it ain't so

TimberMcPherson:

"I just got a call from the police this afternoon, asking about a local bunch of criminals and hacks known as COSAC and some burglarys.

Every arborist in town wants these guys to fall into there own chipper but they are still operating after at least 5 years of standover tactics, raising prices on quotes, cons, destruction and generally being right bastards."

Is COSAC the local Adventists Church group?

Experience from both side

Hi there guys. I have worked in Europe, UK, and in the US, and the one big thing I became aware of, was the lack of legislation and safety standards in the US, compared to the UK. I have seen first hand that if there is good legislation, and if it is practised, it helps to keep the fly by nighters out. Dont get me wong, there still is a degree of them, but not as much as in the US

I have seen first hand that if there is good legislation, and if it is practised.......

Here is one of the problems. We keep thinking more laws will solve the problem when existing laws aren't enforced.

When you see these guys hacking up a job, the best thing to do is to make sure as many people as possible know what they are doing wrong. Contact the newspaper or local TV / radio station and see if they will do an article or series on proper tree care. They do it each Spring and Fall for Lawn care, auto care, Home improvement. Why not trees?

Educate your client. I can't tell you the number of jobs that we have got by simply talking to the client, explaining the complexity of the job and the knowledge required to do the job safely, properly and efficiently. When they say to you "no one else noticed that" or "It wasn't explained to me that way" you're good to go! Let the fly by nighters wear themselves out for 20% of what the job should have been. Their bodies, crappy equipment and luck can't hold out for that long....

Back