Had a close call

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Had a close call a couple of weeks ago while removing a 30" Pin Oak with a good 30 degree lean over the house.

I hate admitting to making mistakes and hate making them even more. That being said I figured I would post about this one hoping that maybe someone else can learn from it and not make the same mistake.

I shot a line into the highest fork I could which put my rigging line as close to the drop zone as possible. My bull line still hung at the gutter line of the second story. Had to put a tag line in every stick, all the way to the ground and have the ground crew pull everything away from the house. Postage stamp drop zone with two sprinkler heads and an antique ornamental gate in the drop zone. Stamped concrete and ornamental brick in the drive which made the LZ very tight. The tree was around 90' which gave me plenty of clearance to lower every limb in one piece except for one large leader that went out over the house that I had to rope out in two pieces. Anyway after brushing out the whole tree I had to block out 4 good sized sticks until I could get far enough past the lean to just have the ground crew pull the rest of them over and free fall the remaining chunks into the DZ. After topping the tree I set my block to rig out the first stick of the spar. I was rigging out a 6-7' stick and made my cut in about 12-14" wood. No big deal really but I had nothing but smooth bark to tie my sling on where I needed to make my cut. I had two small branch collars maybe 2-3' below my sling and figured that if my sling slipped on the smooth bark it would catch on the branch collars below. I usually try to hang my sling right above a good branch collar or even better, 2 and snug it up real well to avoid any possible slipping. Well I sent my 200 down, called for my 260 while I went about tying my block and sling on, setting the tag line and tying the chunk off with a bowline and marl/half hitch. There was some kind of snafu on the ground with the saw and I got preoccupied in setting up my rigging. The spar was at a really bad crook at that point and I had to get on the back side of a severe lean to make my cut. I guess while getting preoccupied with tying the rigging, going up and down over the sling with my lanyard and dealing with the saw issue, I hadn't noticed that my timber hitch had loosened up and I really could not see the position of my block from the back side of the lean on the spar. I do remember that I noticed that my primary tie in, my lanyard was below the tied off block and my secondary tie in was above it... I was in a hurry because I was a little irritated about having to wait on my saw while in an uncomfortable position on the back side of the tree. the thought crossed my mind to just make the cut and not worry about it but then I thought better of that and went ahead and reset my lanyard above my block and sling. I always keep my tie in above my block and sling when rigging the spar out. When I made the cut my block and sling slipped and dropped down past the two small branch collars and dropped about 6' to a couple of larger branch collars from some good sized limbs. No property damage and no injury but it could have been disaster. It was a rookie mistake, I know and embarrassing but what are you going to do. Thankfully that put me on point and focused me and the rest of the tree came off without a hitch. I have heard some say in discussions that they tie in below their block in sling when blocking down the spar but common sense has just always told me not to do that. Sure am glad that I listened to my intuition on that one.

Takes guts to admit to a screw up. Glad that everything turned out ok.
I prefer a cow hitch to a timber hitch any day of the week. It tes quicker and you can cinch it up a lot tighter.

I normally use my lanyard above the block but I choke my climbline off below the block. Seems to me if your timber or cow hitch is real loose it could be a hazard but I cinch mine up real tight. I will admit that I've had the sling roll down over my climbline a bit when loaded and pinch it. I don't look at that as a hazard though, if anything it could help prevent the sling from slipping farther on smooth barked trees like you had today. I just make sure my line is set snug under the sling so that the block won't come in contact with it.

I had a timber hitch slip and go a few feet down the trunk. The piece nearly hit the driveway. My hitch wasn't tight enough and I was taking way to big of a piece.... I was a rookie making a rookie mistake. Since then I have been using loopie slings. They cinch really well and don't slide even on really smooth cottonwood tops. Not to mentiIon they are way quicker/easier to install.

I carry up at least three (sometimes ten) different sized homemade tubular webbing loop slings on every removal. I abuse them but they are cheap to make (a couple bucks a sling) and I replace them often. When I need to do bigger wood I have an adjustable tenex loopie and whoopie.

Maybe it is time for you to upgrade your slings.

Last edited:
Glad nobody got hurt and no damage was done. I got a good tip lately from a crane op about using slings/cinching knots. When I do crane obs I'm real careful about setting up the chains so that the load will cause the chains to choke more, and putting them in a position that they 'take up' and still have room for more choking. He pointed out that I don't always do the same thing when using slings or cinching knots like timber hitches and running bowlines. I kept an eye on myself over the following weeks and noticed he was right. I was very casual about where I was cinching the knot, relying on the weight of the piece to take up.

I've started being more careful with the direction I tie the 'choke' into with ropes, and the position on the clock I put it in on the branch. I noticed myself even tieing knots so they wouldn't choke, like putting your chain on backwards. I've noticed other guys doing it too. It's not so bad if you're using a marl, or tying into a fork, but on stem sections it makes a difference.

Shaun

Had a close call a couple of weeks ago while removing a 30" Pin Oak with a good 30 degree lean over the house.

I hate admitting to making mistakes and hate making them even more. That being said I figured I would post about this one hoping that maybe someone else can learn from it and not make the same mistake.

I shot a line into the highest fork I could which put my rigging line as close to the drop zone as possible. My bull line still hung at the gutter line of the second story. Had to put a tag line in every stick, all the way to the ground and have the ground crew pull everything away from the house. Postage stamp drop zone with two sprinkler heads and an antique ornamental gate in the drop zone. Stamped concrete and ornamental brick in the drive which made the LZ very tight. The tree was around 90' which gave me plenty of clearance to lower every limb in one piece except for one large leader that went out over the house that I had to rope out in two pieces. Anyway after brushing out the whole tree I had to block out 4 good sized sticks until I could get far enough past the lean to just have the ground crew pull the rest of them over and free fall the remaining chunks into the DZ. After topping the tree I set my block to rig out the first stick of the spar. I was rigging out a 6-7' stick and made my cut in about 12-14" wood. No big deal really but I had nothing but smooth bark to tie my sling on where I needed to make my cut. I had two small branch collars maybe 2-3' below my sling and figured that if my sling slipped on the smooth bark it would catch on the branch collars below. I usually try to hang my sling right above a good branch collar or even better, 2 and snug it up real well to avoid any possible slipping. Well I sent my 200 down, called for my 260 while I went about tying my block and sling on, setting the tag line and tying the chunk off with a bowline and marl/half hitch. There was some kind of snafu on the ground with the saw and I got preoccupied in setting up my rigging. The spar was at a really bad crook at that point and I had to get on the back side of a severe lean to make my cut. I guess while getting preoccupied with tying the rigging, going up and down over the sling with my lanyard and dealing with the saw issue, I hadn't noticed that my timber hitch had loosened up and I really could not see the position of my block from the back side of the lean on the spar. I do remember that I noticed that my primary tie in, my lanyard was below the tied off block and my secondary tie in was above it... I was in a hurry because I was a little irritated about having to wait on my saw while in an uncomfortable position on the back side of the tree. the thought crossed my mind to just make the cut and not worry about it but then I thought better of that and went ahead and reset my lanyard above my block and sling. I always keep my tie in above my block and sling when rigging the spar out. When I made the cut my block and sling slipped and dropped down past the two small branch collars and dropped about 6' to a couple of larger branch collars from some good sized limbs. No property damage and no injury but it could have been disaster. It was a rookie mistake, I know and embarrassing but what are you going to do. Thankfully that put me on point and focused me and the rest of the tree came off without a hitch. I have heard some say in discussions that they tie in below their block in sling when blocking down the spar but common sense has just always told me not to do that. Sure am glad that I listened to my intuition on that one.

Good thing you had the sound mind to catch where your life lines were.Big of you to come here and admit your mistake on the slipped blocked attachment.

Kind of makes me glad my oldest son and I had a little spat a few months ago.He found work elseware[installing stainless restaurant equipment,mostly hoods and such]. He likes the work and is doing OK $$ wise.
We have made up ,but he is still with the other job.As much as I love tree work[most of the time] I am glad I don't have to watch him go thru the mistakes that we all do while learning to climb,which he was pressing me more to teach him everyday.
I still make mistakes after 30 odd yrs.Probably not noticeable by others ,,,but I notice them.

Anybody else feel this way about their boys??

I just had a close call too. Almost knocked my drink over. I mean I just barely caught it. And...I'm out and liquor store is closed so that would have been it.

You sir,need to take a long hard look at yourself and the possible consequenses of your actions.

Where I come from ,spilling one's drink is considered alcohol abuse.:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

My son is 20. He started "helping" his old man when he was a little kid, and gradually became proficient running saws and equipment. The best move he has made was to move to his own place, and go to work fulltime as a grunt on a construction crew. Helps me now occasionally on Saturdays. Working fulltime together during summer school breaks was sometimes stressful for both of us.

When dismantling a spar, I like to have my block and sling as close as possible to the piece I'm cutting, so I'm tied in below the block. Haven't been pinched yet by a sling, but when the pucker factor is high, sometimes I'll take a couple of minutes to notch a groove to seat the sling into. Like on a beech.

I remeber way back when my foreman who was a crazy and good climber said he'd never teach his kids how to do treework because he wouldn't want them to do this dangerous work. I think about that all the time. I have girls and my oldest always wanted me to show her how to climb but I never did. I don't regret it at all.

Good cautionary tale.

I always double check my rigging knots before a cut. I lost a big chunk of locust once onto a concrete driveway -- BOOM -- slipped right out of my (loose) knot. I was sure I had cracked the driveway, but someone did a great paving job, must have been 6 in. slab. I had tied the chunk off with a clove hitch -- I almost never use them now. Instead, I almost always tie a marlin hitch (loop around the piece and a cross over) and then either a running bowline or a double wrap (kind of like how you start a timber hitch) with a steel locking 'biner on the end and clipped back on the rope.

I usually am tied in on similar situations with two metal core lanyards, one at the cut and one lower (which would be below the block). I might have my lifeline, or not -- if it seems like it is just going to get tangled in the rigging. Better to have your lifeline in another tree.

jesus get over it ,keep dwelling on this and something really bad will happen

I see there is still no shortage of nut cases in the peanut gallery around here. Would be nice to have a reasonable conversation with other professional CLIMBERS from time to time. Ah well, looks like those days are over with around here.

more like too many "NANCIES" around here ,start a thread when you take a chainsaw to the face,or a log adds a skylight to a house ,or hits your groundie

nobody got hurt ,nothing got hurt get over it

I see there is still no shortage of nut cases in the peanut gallery around here. Would be nice to have a reasonable conversation with other professional CLIMBERS from time to time. Ah well, looks like those days are over with around here.

Thanks for posting MD. It is a great reminder for the experienced and a great lesson for the novice. That had career ending potential for sure and your experience saved the day.

Thanks for sharing Tree MD.

Don't let these guys get you down. There's good stuff still on here. Just have to filter out the crap.

I tend to find most mistakes happen either when in a rush, being distracted, at the end of the job, the end of the day, or a combination of these events.

Trust your gut, instinct, feelings. It's usually right.

Latest posts

Back