Had some fun in the woods today with a new toy/tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a Husky 346xp (OE) muffler-modded from AS member nmurph a week ago and finally got to get out in the woods and put it to work today. New little brother to my 044.

Perfect weather for sawing in the woods today. Sunny, slightly breezy, in the 40s...couldn't ask for better cutting weather

I got a 16" Carlton Speed Tip bar/Woodland pro bar/chain combo from Bailey's and put that on...cranked it up and sawed up some 10-12" diameter locust logs in the yard to dial the new chain in a bit.

Then i headed over to my normal cutting spot on a friend's property a couple miles away for a couple hours. Started on a bunch of downed white oak spread out on the side of the ridge (mountains here...not many flat cutting spots in the woods.) Pretty good mix of limbing and bucking stuff under 12-14". This saw is so quick in the smaller stuff! Before I knew it, almost an hour had passed (on the same tank of fuel!) and I wasn't even really fatigued...Half that amount of time will start to wear on my back when bucking with my 044. Don't get me wrong...the 346 is no match for the 044 in stuff 12" and up, but man is it easier to tote around and saw up smaller stuff. Didn't realize I'd notice that much of a difference and I'm a young guy (25)

Went back to the truck to file the chain a little bit/re-fuel and remembered on the walk back that I'd spotted some standing dead locust trees that the tops had broken off of, no real branches to speak of, pretty straight.

Sized them up and decided to fell 2 of the smaller ones (about 8-10" diameter, 30-40 ft tall.) Gave them each some good walking around and thought about which way they looked like they wanted to go and which way I wanted them to go (no risk of them getting hung up and landing on anything to speak of.) Took them both down exactly where I wanted them to go. This is a good feeling for me because this is the first time I've felled a tree by myself (I'm sorta new to all this.) I took my time with it and kept my head up, making sure to keep an eye on the top of the tree while making the back cuts.

Question: Does anyone take off their hearing protection when felling particularly so they can hear the tree coming down better. I had my muffs on today and realized that it didn't really help me to not be able to hear that happening...was just relying on my sight. Thoughts?

Called it a day after that because I had to get back to the family...but not before I went by the local Stihl dealer on the way home and picked up some extra chains, wedges, and files. Can't wait to put a Stihl chain on the Carlton bar...the Woodland Pro wasn't bad, but definitely didn't hold up to the locust like Stihl chain does. I guess I've gotten spoiled with the harder Stihl chain...but you get what you pay for I suppose...

Sorry I don't have any pics to share...no real time for all that today. I just wanted to share a bit from a great day I had cutting out in the woods. Also would like to say thanks to this site for it's wealth of knowledge that I always keep coming back to and learning from.

Last edited:
I picked up a Husky 346xp (OE) muffler-modded from AS member nmurph a week ago and finally got to get out in the woods and put it to work today. New little brother to my 044.

Perfect weather for sawing in the woods today. Sunny, slightly breezy, in the 40s...couldn't ask for better cutting weather

I got a 16" Carlton Speed Tip bar/Woodland pro bar/chain combo from Bailey's and put that on...cranked it up and sawed up some 10-12" diameter locust logs in the yard to dial the new chain in a bit.

Then i headed over to my normal cutting spot on a friend's property a couple miles away for a couple hours. Started on a bunch of downed white oak spread out on the side of the ridge (mountains here...not many flat cutting spots in the woods.) Pretty good mix of limbing and bucking stuff under 12-14". This saw is so quick in the smaller stuff! Before I knew it, almost an hour had passed (on the same tank of fuel!) and I wasn't even really fatigued...Half that amount of time will start to wear on my back when bucking with my 044. Don't get me wrong...the 346 is no match for the 044 in stuff 12" and up, but man is it easier to tote around and saw up smaller stuff. Didn't realize I'd notice that much of a difference and I'm a young guy (25)

Went back to the truck to file the chain a little bit/re-fuel and remembered on the walk back that I'd spotted some standing dead locust trees that the tops had broken off of, no real branches to speak of, pretty straight.

Sized them up and decided to fell 2 of the smaller ones (about 8-10" diameter, 30-40 ft tall.) Gave them each some good walking around and thought about which way they looked like they wanted to go and which way I wanted them to go (no risk of them getting hung up and landing on anything to speak of.) Took them both down exactly where I wanted them to go. This is a good feeling for me because this is the first time I've felled a tree by myself (I'm sorta new to all this.) I took my time with it and kept my head up, making sure to keep an eye on the top of the tree while making the back cuts.

Question: Does anyone take off their hearing protection when felling particularly so they can hear the tree coming down better. I had my muffs on today and realized that it didn't really help me to not be able to hear that happening...was just relying on my sight. Thoughts?

Called it a day after that because I had to get back to the family...but not before I went by the local Stihl dealer on the way home and picked up some extra chains, wedges, and files. Can't wait to put a Stihl chain on the Carlton bar...the Woodland Pro wasn't bad, but definitely didn't hold up to the locust like Stihl chain does. I guess I've gotten spoiled with the harder Stihl chain...but you get what you pay for I suppose...

Sorry I don't have any pics to share...no real time for all that today. I just wanted to share a bit from a great day I had cutting out in the woods. Also would like to say thanks to this site for it's wealth of knowledge that I always keep coming back to and learning from.

I leave my foam ear plugs in all day on the job site i can still hear to have a close conversation and use hand signals to communicate with my ground workers, i don't really need to hear what noises the tree is making i always watch the top so i can see when it starts to go over or sit back or what ever its gonna do. The only time i listen is when its under tension like when the top blows over and still connected or uproots

Way cool man! I don't have a 346 yet but I *do* want one. My huskies are all aces nice and read so much about those, they can't be lyin! I bet you had fun and good for checking and double checking.

Hearing, yep, easier without, but I use my eyes more and just gauge it better. Already lost enough hearing, almost all in one ear and 50% or so in the other, so I am just not cavalier about it anymore. it doesn't come back. I use the husky integrated helmet and muff system, just got it this past summer, so the muffs stay on. I have found I can still hear "enough", I can catch the creaks if the saw is just idling. Judgement call, if it was real dicey to me I would pop the muffs up. For me, what I made myself learn the past little while, is look up and still cut and sort of know where you are in the cut, and fast glances, up, down, all around. And ain't no shame in vamoosing early, either.

Yep!

On standing dead stuff and leaners I'm worried about doing something unexpected, I'll lift the muffs off.
They will talk to ya and pop and groan quite often before going haywire.
Having a plan, an escape route with options, and a good idea of where the thing will go helps, but sometimes they decide to take off early and it's good to have a heads up. Eyes are good, eyes and ears are even better IMO.

On the WP chain, remember to factor in that you were cutting dead Locust. RSC dosn't hold up much better if at all in that stuff.
WP semi-chisel or Stihl RM is the ticket. Dadgum Locust just eats chain.

Sounds like ya had a great day in the woods, getting to know a great little saw.
The 346 is one of those that grows on ya untill you wonder what you did before having one.
Wont replace the 044, but you're soon gonna find that 80% of your cutting can be done with the little booger, and it wont wear ya out as much untill you get into bigger stuff.

Pics next time!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That's like taking off your sunglasses because you don't want anything to interfere with your vision when the sun is bright.

Using the proper filters will enhance, not harm, your senses.

I find ear muffs especially tend to improve my hearing of critical things. I do wear ear plugs, but less often, and think they block all noise more.

I don't have the scientific literature handy, but I'd bet you'd find good quality ear muffs filter out the higher frequency noises better then lower frequency noises. Revved up equipment == higher frequencies. Most things going boom, and conversational speech == lower frequencies.

Yeah...I know the locust is tough on chains like nothing else! It just seems that the Stihl RSC holds up a little better, but maybe not. Will look into the semi chisel...I look for, cut, and burn as much locust as I can find. Stuff is firewood gold in my book. It's worth the extra effort when it's burning all night in my stoves.

As for hearing protection...I've just got the cheap Stihl branded muffs that came with some safety sunglasses in a $20 package, so I don't know if I'd call them high quality. I would like to experiment with ear plugs if there are some that filter in the way that Dalmatian90 is talking about. When I was felling the locust trees today I didn't really hear anything, from when it started to fall or even when it hit the ground with my muffs on. I need to get a helmet/hardhat of some kind so maybe some new/different hearing protection is in order too? Definitely pretty serious about protecting my ears. I'm a musician before I'm a woodsman and would rather go blind than deaf, if I had to choose.

I must be going deaf, I never considered my chainsaw noise to be a problem. I run a stock 460 and a stock 041. The 041 is louder than the 460 but neither of them are what I consider overly loud. I have used ear plugs in the past but don't always have the presence of mind to get them before going to the field to cut. Safety glasses are a big issue with me. I get the best I can find. I don't cut wood for a living so I have the luxury of time to size things up and stay out of trouble situations. The guys on this site were very helpful to me when I had to drop some entangled trees. The advice I got kept me out of trouble.

We want to see some pics.

Yessiree a 346 is everything they are bragged up to be. I love a quality 50CC saw when working in the limbs, we have a 346, a 260 Pro and 446S Shindy for that work, all great saws. As for noise and felling I was taught at a young age when making the felling cut to watch behind the bar at the notch and at the first sign of widening,, scat. A safety note, last weekend I tripped over a dead branch when retreating from the tree, luckily was just embarassing. The books and safety people all tell you to clear the area around the truck and plan your escape route, DO IT!!

Thiknow s is a good feeling for me because this is the first time I've felled a tree by myself (I'm sorta new to all this.) I took my time with it and kept my head up, making sure to keep an eye on the top of the tree while making the back cuts.

I know I'm going to sound like a jerk, but, never cut alone.
If you must, tell someone your plan and timeline, it may save your life.

I like PPE, for me gloves and hearing protection/ Z87 eyegear makes me more comfortable with a saw. I do cut alone. If it comes time for me to do the four leg salute, I'll walk to the mountain. Coulda been dead a thousand times. But I'm not. I'm still here.

Stroker Ace;3976your263 said:
I like PPE, for me gloves and hearing protection/ Z87 eyegear makes me more comfortable with a saw. I do cut alone. If it comes time for me to do the four leg salute, I'll walk to the mountain. Coulda been dead a thousand times. But I'm not. I'm still here.

Yeah,well, that's just your opinion, man....
The Dude.:dizzy:

I find that 1/2 the time a 2nd person around is actually more dangerous. At the min, just another thing to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
Not the people I work around.
Not all people are equal, despite what modern educational systems promote though. ;)

It's a choice. I cut on my brother's crew when thing else is going on. Too many guys with 70 cc plus saws in close quarters don't work. I don't like suprises. Never had to give meself stitches yet.

OK, that I'm in total agreement on. Had a 25" dragged across my palm once on a too crowded site, know what you mean!
I just think it prudent to, if going out alone, to let someone know is all.

I was technically alone in the woods, but my friend was outside his house in the yard about 100ft away the whole time I was cutting. My GF knew exactly where I was and how long I was supposed to be gone.

I hear ya about not cutting alone. I thought about not going but sometimes I just gotta get some stuff done and can't find anyone else to go when I have time to go. Having a little one, working full-time, and trying to collect firewood to keep the house warm are all full time jobs...hard to coordinate the firewooding with someone else every time. I did think this one through and decided to go for it and take my time in the woods.

You never know what's going to happen anywhere, anytime, but I think if you play it safe and cover your bases with safe cutting practices and PPE then you're doing a lot better than some folks who leave themselves a bit more vulnerable to mishap.

Appreciate the concern and advice, though.

Oh....

View attachment 264771

The 346xp is a hell of a saw and I miss mine dearly (don't leave it in a burning truck). I didn't realize the benefits of a good 50cc saw until I discovered this site. I like the torque of my 261 better than the old 346, but that 346 had a beautiful feel and balance to it, with scalpel like precision. I definitely agree about the epiphany of realizing how much wood you can buck, while burning little fuel, with a smile on your face and no real wear on your body... They are wonderful things and I'd conservatively say that they take care of about 65% of my firewooding. That said, when I need it, I love my Stumpbroke 372xp and will be getting a 395xp to replace my burned up MS660...

PPE is an indispensable necessity. Whatever vision/hearing you have is not going to improve with age, and toys like saws/guns/tractors/airplanes/etc don't help either. That doesn't stop me from doing the activities that I love, but I do try to do them intelligently to preserve the hearing and vision that I have. I have never lifted the earphones to 'listen' to the tree as when I'm felling, I take my sweet time and go slowly and carefully while watching the tree. Think twice, cut once and remember that wedges are your friend!

Cutting with others can be a bit of an Occam's razor depending on the people you're cutting around and their relative level of experience/situational-awareness/common sense. I learned to cut via my father (and others) and it's something my Dad and I like to do together to de-stress and relax. One of my best friends has also cut a lot with me. When we're in the trees, we usually don't have to communicate a lot as we've worked around each other long enough, that we know what to expect out of each other. It's a lot less individual workload and each has their job. Dad limbs with the 50cc saw, I throw clear brush and buck the bigger wood and my friend clears brush and helps to clear bigger rounds. Then we all help load out. I like having a second person because though (thank God) I have yet to have an incident, it is always a distinct possibility and driving a manual transmission vehicle with potentially one bad leg or knee, 30 min from the nearest medical attention, is not a very appetizing prospect in my view.

Congrats on the saw purchase, have fun and saw safe!

I just got my first 346 and got to run it last weekend. I didn't need another saw, especially since I have a like new, less than a year old Jonsered 2152, but it was one of those deals that couldn't be passed up. I bought it used but its real close to new. The only thing it needs is an 18 inch bar. Guy I bought it from has a 20 on it. He gave me 3 new chains for the 20, so I'll be getting some links removed too. I have a feeling the rest of my 50cc saws are gonna get dusty from sitting.

Locust is the shiz nits around here. I picked up 1/2 a truckload left by the right away crew. I couldn't believe people were passing on it because it was 20 inch rounds.

Hearing, sight, and flesh-don't take them for granted!
And learn to LISTEN to that little voice inside your head.
That is as long as its not telling you to go and pi** on some dude's carpet!

Back