Half dead tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Btadler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

New to the forum but found you guys because I have a half dead tree in my yard. The tree was fine last year and this year the top has not grown leaves at all. I am wondering what your opinions are as to what could have caused this. We didn't have a particularly harsh winter. Also wondering if there is anything that can be done to save the tree or if the chopping block is the best course of action. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
Here is a close up of the leaves. Sorry idk more about it. The tree was here when we bought the place. We live in Madison Wisconsin if that helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 26
Yeah, that is an ash, and it looks like it is dying from Emerald Ash Borer (and your location fits that assumption too). Remove and replace. Even if you started treating it keeping what is green alive, the entire top is missing and you are several years away from having any hope of rebuilding a worthwhile tree. In that time, and for less investment you will have a tree you will not need to treat forever if you plant something else. (just make sure you pick a good tree for your site and it is planted correctly!)

It might be worth getting an expert to look at it but yeh I agree that planting another one may be more worthwhile if you are wanting a tree still? If your area is prone to these sort of pests maybe do a bit of research into the best one as ATH mentioned so you can ensure your efforts are not wasted.

Jeff

Thank you guys for your help. Any suggestions on a tree that would work better? Don't have a ton of space for a huge tree and the neighbors have a willow that they don't groom so half of it is hanging over into my property which shades out part of where the ash is now.

Reviving this thread because the top thought to be dead branches of the ash have started growing leaves. However, the bottom branches now have these weird bumps on them (see picture). Still EAB? Or something else? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
Ash leaf galls...they're just cosmetic no need to worry about those. Once the tree is infested with EAB its only gonna get worse.

Yea...those have nothing to do with EAB. Unless the top is in full leaf, it still needs to be replaced. If it is in full leaf, then you might reconsider treatment if you want to invest the money.

Back