hand bones- maul injury

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WadePatton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
anybody ever stress-fracture one of the bones in the back of your hand? pretty sure that's what i did last year-swinging a maul and sledge. also irritated the rotator cuff, but that faded--in three months or less.

but the hand keeps getting re-injured--directly affects gription and well, just about all things done with any force. it's just a sharp pain...not a nagging or acute thing.

wondering if anyone had done similar and "got over it" eventually or was forced to seek surgery.

really don't care for the surgical route--but am quite sure that's all the docs can offer. with the inherent risks...

Stress fractures can heal on their own, if properly rested.

Did he refer you to PT?

Never any stress fractures but I did pull a muscle in my chest that hurt for about a year before it finally healed.

My BIL stress fractured his ankle. No surgery needed as he ended up wearing one of those removable boots for awhile and now all is well. Have a doc check you out before you do permanent damage to your hand, okay? A couple of weeks being immobilized is better than lifetime damage.

Shari

I think a common bone in the hand that gets injured from swinging sledge hammers is called the Hamate bone. I know a lot of MLB baseball players break this bone from swinging bats and have to go on the DL. Sounds like a good Google search.

It is time to start sawing bigger rounds into halves and quarters to avoid the impact stress on the hands from mauls and sledges. I think wood and fiberglass handles absorb shock best. Do not pick up a steel handled monster maul again. Just a thought or two here.

You could start a hamster and guinea pig farm, too. Lots of free litter.

When I was 16, I ran a pitchfork through my left foot.

It was left festering into infection for almost a week before I was taken to the doctor. I almost had to have my foot amputated. They never x-rayed it, but I know now that I had broken one of the bones in my foot.

It never has healed properly. I can rebreak it if I jump down on the foot hard enough. I kills for about a week, and then starts feeling better.

I have had this for about twenty years now.

All I can say freemind is OUCHHH!!!!

Pitch fork in the foot makes me limp just thinkin about it.

By the way. I live just down the road from ya in Montpelier, Ohio.

anybody ever stress-fracture one of the bones in the back of your hand? pretty sure that's what i did last year-swinging a maul and sledge. also irritated the rotator cuff, but that faded--in three months or less.

but the hand keeps getting re-injured--directly affects gription and well, just about all things done with any force. it's just a sharp pain...not a nagging or acute thing.

wondering if anyone had done similar and "got over it" eventually or was forced to seek surgery.

really don't care for the surgical route--but am quite sure that's all the docs can offer. with the inherent risks...
being a mechanic for the past 40 years I am very fimilar with hand pain.If you spray it real good with wd-40 and it seems to help for a while yer probabely dealing with joint problems.If theres no change you may have a fracture, I m no doctor I just watch House on TV

All I can say freemind is OUCHHH!!!!

Pitch fork in the foot makes me limp just thinkin about it.

By the way. I live just down the road from ya in Montpelier, Ohio.

True, I can think of more pleasent things than a pitchfork in the foot. Stuff happens.

Been to Montpelier many a time. I used to live on Nettle Lake about 6 years ago.

cool, thanks for the broad spectrum of replies.

will look into a couple of things yall mentioned...and see how much an office visit is going to be, or at least a home x-ray kit.;) i'll give it a few days "minimum exertion" and see how it gets.

and don't use a heavy sledge on a short stick neither nohow not much or as little as possible-or wind up with hand/shoulder issues in short order.

I went a little crazy with a sledge and wedges one day and I swear I got shin splints in my wrists! Took a while until it went away completely.

Broke the ventricular bone in my one wrist 10 years ago and had a piece of glass in the other wrist further back and it still hurts like I have been crucified at times with both wrist feeling like a spike is still in there.

Time to justify a powered splitter, It can't "get Better" It will only ebb and deteriorate till you just can't use it.

being a mechanic for the past 40 years I am very fimilar with hand pain.If you spray it real good with wd-40 and it seems to help for a while yer probabely dealing with joint problems.If theres no change you may have a fracture, I m no doctor I just watch House on TV

Interesting........I know a guy that has been spraying his deteriorated knees with WD-40 for years. Avoided replacement surgery, while maintaining mobility :dunno:

had a motorcycle wreck three years ago i rember holding onto the handle bars with all i could, but not for long my right hand was not broke but could not grip any thing for a long time. couldnot shake hands with visitors hurt to much . took over one year to get most of my strength back in that hand.

Back