Handloggers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Ellison

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Here is a good read. True story about "Handlogger Jackson" Takes place in coastal B.C. and Southeast Alaska from 1915 and on. Adventure, falling timber,hunting ,fishing and trapping. Handloggers fell timber directly into the water/ocean on steep faces, if it did not make it to the water they would use jacks to try and get the tree/log to move. A few good pictures and a heck of a tale.
I believe its out of print but have seen it at online used book sales.

Thanks for the tip, ordered a signed copy. Should be a good winter read.

I'm not a logger, in fact, I'm one of those treehuggers that loggers love to hate, but I enjoy reading about outdoor adventures. I do enough personal woodcutting to admire loggers for their skills even though it's sometimes hard to admire the results of commercial logging for profit.

I'm not a logger, in fact, I'm one of those treehuggers that loggers love to hate, but I enjoy reading about outdoor adventures. I do enough personal woodcutting to admire loggers for their skills even though it's sometimes hard to admire the results of commercial logging for profit.

Without profit, there would be no logging and we could get our lumber from countries without forest practices rules. So, stay on here and get educated as to what REALLY happens in the woods as opposed to what you are told by
well, not for profit (but somebody must be getting paid) groups such as The Sierra Club.

Logging is a disturbance and you just can't make it look pretty to folks who don't understand forestry. It looks destructive, but wait a few years and things look nice again. Meanwhile, behind those "looks" is often a healthier, faster growing stand of trees. Wood is the most eco friendly building material we have. Economical too.

There, you've started learning. Right?:cheers:

Without profit, there would be no logging and we could get our lumber from countries without forest practices rules. So, stay on here and get educated as to what REALLY happens in the woods as opposed to what you are told by
well, not for profit (but somebody must be getting paid) groups such as The Sierra Club.

Logging is a disturbance and you just can't make it look pretty to folks who don't understand forestry. It looks destructive, but wait a few years and things look nice again. Meanwhile, behind those "looks" is often a healthier, faster growing stand of trees. Wood is the most eco friendly building material we have. Economical too.

Well said.

without profit, there would be no logging and we could get our lumber from countries without forest practices rules. So, stay on here and get educated as to what really happens in the woods as opposed to what you are told by
well, not for profit (but somebody must be getting paid) groups such as the sierra club.

logging is a disturbance and you just can't make it look pretty to folks who don't understand forestry. It looks destructive, but wait a few years and things look nice again. Meanwhile, behind those "looks" is often a healthier, faster growing stand of trees. Wood is the most eco friendly building material we have. Economical too.

well said.

+1

well said

Just to add to slowp's response;
In the western US we generally have two choices. Either thin, or log the forest, or watch it burn. Just from the aesthetic side of the discussion, which looks better, an area that has been logged, or an area that has had a catastrophic fire?
It's not all about looks, but that's all that some look at.

Andy

Sorry to derail/side track or hijack this thread but I have to get this off my chest because it's been eating at me since this story started .
I can't say cheers at the end of this response because it is the sober reality of what or how much "The Club" and or it's people stand behind or believe it's convictions . It's hard to reason or set rational goals in regards to nature when you have people like this
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/10/29/ns-mitchell-mother.html
Yes I know this is a tragic story but I can't believe or agree with the parents response and can't help but feel that their ideology or lack of teaching respect for the wild did not play a part in this tragedy .
As a father to two daughters I have done what I can to give them life skills , respect and understand nature , ask questions and to look at things with both eyes open , they understand why people hunt , why people cut trees and why I don't agree with some less than desirable hunting or tree harvesting practices but they understand why these things are done and do not look at nature with a euphoric view like Sierra club , green peace or what ever club so keep this mothers response in the back of your mind because they scare me .

Dan LeBlanc

Thats the problem with them . They have to draw attention to themselves ...... This should be a good thread about Hand Logger Jackson , but this #### head thinks so much of himself he has to brag about it on a loggers forum ........... What a totally un class act .................
. People who work in the woods don,t love to hate pieces of #### like you ... Mostly we don,t understand how anyone can be so ignorant and rude .

but about Handlogger Jackson .. He and his brother in law , Alan " I think it was Alan " Johnstone took around a million feet of spruce out of just Yes Bay alone .. I,ve seen trees they left because without iron it would be impossible to get them into the bay , one of the 3 bays ... He used to ROW flat rafts from Yes Bay to Ketchikan ......Anyone who has spent much time on the Beam Canal should be able to comprehend the severity of that kind of undertaking ....... It,s 50 miles from Yes Bay to town ... I don,t know where he would cross the Beam , but I would be pretty nervous ... To say he was at least 3 times tougher than me would still be an understatement !!!!!!

I won't even respond to tramp bushler's personal insults. That's a perfect example of why I seldom post on this forum, even though I have an interest in woodscraft and forest management.

Slowp, I always enjoy your posts and learn from them. Thanks.

As I said, I'm not a logger ...... but I spent a summer working in a ma and pa sawmill, and loved it. I spent a few weeks as a flunkie on a logging crew, and I loved it. I personally harvest wood for heat and for lumber, and I enjoy it. I agree that wood is the most eco friendly building material, and I built my house out of deadwood that I harvested from local forests.

I'm not opposed to all logging, just bad logging, and there is plenty of that in the west.

I applaud low-impact selective logging. I have no beef with thinning when it goes well -- but it doesn't always go well. Even small clear cuts have their place. But mile after mile of clear cut, as far as the eye can see -- NO THANK YOU.

Regarding what REALLY happens in the woods, uh, I live in the woods, so to speak. What I see is tremendous waste, where more wood is burned in slash piles and by out-of-control slash fires than is hauled to the mill. Perhaps that is unique to my local situation, but nonetheless that is what I see and it's hard to accept.

My local forests used to be predominately doug fir, ponderosa, and tamarack. Old timey logging practices, motivated by short term profits, called for harvesting the valuable trees first and the less valuable trees (white fir) last -- just the opposite of good management. That, plus Smokey the bear, leaves us with a 2nd growth forest of predominately white fir, which is a hot wildfire waiting to happen.

They've learned their lesson, and are now managing to encourage doug fir and tamarack and to discourage white fir. If they keep it up, 100 years from now MAYBE we'll have a halfway healthy forest again.

Regarding the fire problem, fire is natural and healthy up to a point. As everyone here knows, man-made problems have made fires much worse. Smokey the bear, global warming, beetles (due to global warming), fire-thinned old growth replaced by thick 2nd growth, fire resistant species replaced by white fir -- due to poor logging practices and Smokey the bear.

Before I moved to my present location, I lived near Yellowstone, and spent a lot of time hunting and hiking on land adjacent to the park, most of which had been heavily clear cut. I often hiked up a particular mountain that straddled the park boundary, where on one side of the boundary there was clear cut as far as the eye could see. The park side, of course, was beautiful despite the wildfires that have ravaged the park from time to time. The park side had lots of game, the clear cut side had domestic cows and not so much game. I think of that view every time I hear someone talking about how logging makes forests healthy and how the treehuggers are causing all the problems.

Like I said, I'm not at all opposed to logging when it is done well. I admire loggers for their woods skills even though I may not agree with their politics, and that's why I'm sure I'll enjoy reading Jackson's book. Thanks again for bringing it to my attention.

alot of yellowstone is predominantly lodgepole pine, and often in pure stands. a monoculture (especially now after the mountain pine beetle epidemic) is not good; especially if the stand is dead and/or heavily stressed.

clearcuts are good in those types of situations. it lets a variety of herbaceous and woody plants come in which is not as susceptible to insect attacks as a monoculture is.

that was definitely the situation in northern colorado when i was cutting there last summer.

Sounds like a cool book, the B.C. coast was originally hand logged or A-frame logged. The hand loggers were a tough breed, no doubt. What makes me just howl with laughter is to hear people speak about the old growth on the B.C. coast, there isn't any. It all grew back, too funny.

And, about clearcuts, they are no big ones being cut anymore here, not for some time. If you want to see animals and pick berries, thats where you go. Ever been in the old growth coastal B.C.? I have, its dark, all there is on the ground is moss. Thats why in the interior, in the old days, the natives used to burn the bush every few years, so it never got a chance, true story.

Interesting. I attended a forestry seminar yesterday. One of the speakers, a PHD from the U of Warshington spoke on the topic of global warming. I'm not highly educated, but I can summarize his info. Apparently, a scientist put together a model that showed global warming. It is called the hockey stick model. A big brouhaha erupted. Finally, a statistician in Canada started studying the statistics of the data and it had problems. Meanwhile, enter Al Gore and various folks. Universities are getting lots of funding to study global warming. Etc.

Scientists are bailing out who once thought global warming to be legitimate.
If you study graphs of climate change, we're in a normal spike. And the spike isn't very sharp. More like a gentle curve. You'd get it a lot better if you were at the presentation.

Back to dying timber. Yup, earlier logging caused some problems. Yup there's bugs. BUT lodgepole pine has bark beetles as a normal part of the cycle. 80 years, 8 inches dbh and it is pretty much mature and ready to be eaten then burned up. No global warming needed. Lodgepole is a fire dependent species. Now, if you get to it early enough, and have a market, and don't get held up by lawsuits, you can mimic nature and remove it by logging it. You leave the slash in the unit, then burn that on a suitable day, and you'll have lodgepole seedlings all over the place coming back up. No planting required.

People are noticing more dead trees than they used to along the highways and on the hillsides. My theory is that in the past, those dying trees were harvested--salvaged so you didn't see them. Now they can't be because of evironmental groups, so are now left standing.

Out here, we don't have much of a fire problem. We'll have a catastrophic one every 100 to 300 years. That's why we have Douglas-fir here.
That's why clearcutting is favored on private lands. Dougs like sunlight.

Everywhere is different. We grow trees well here in SW Warshington. We can burn slash piles without them getting away, we started last week. Those piles get burned because the roads to them are REQUIRED to be torn up. No firewood cutting because of that. The enviros tend to whine about roads so this appeases them. I don't know of any biomass market that is viable to haul to. Broadcast burning in clearcuts provides some planting areas and also knocks back the competing brush which gives the seedlings a head start. Think of it as a race for light.

I only work in thinnings now. That's all. I'd like to see some clearcuts so we can have more huckleberries and elk browse. But it aint gonna happen unless we have a major political shift. In thinnings, we leave the slash in the unit for mulch and nutrients. It rots away. As do any big trees that have to be cut for safety reasons. That's how it is done in this climate, in this region.

Yes, a lot of the areas that were logged in the early days are now grown back, with big trees that are labeled Old Growth. A lot of the areas are grown back with buildings, we call that Seattle. :laugh:

Last edited:
Sounds like a cool book, the B.C. coast was originally hand logged or A-frame logged. The hand loggers were a tough breed, no doubt. What makes me just howl with laughter is to hear people speak about the old growth on the B.C. coast, there isn't any. It all grew back, too funny.

And, about clearcuts, they are no big ones being cut anymore here, not for some time. If you want to see animals and pick berries, thats where you go. Ever been in the old growth coastal B.C.? I have, its dark, all there is on the ground is moss. Thats why in the interior, in the old days, the natives used to burn the bush every few years, so it never got a chance, true story.

Right on !!!! There have been several Excellent books written about loggin in BC ... One was ( Never Chop Your Rope ) .... One book I really enjoyed , I don,t know its name was a pirated copy of an unpublished book .. Another , that was in comic book format , or whatever its called , I still have around here somewhere . . Then there was one about A Frame logging , and a tug named the Ima Hogg ... It was a wood fired steam tug of not many horse power ... All these were from British Columbia and steam or wood tree steam loggin .....

Just can,t stomach trash that want to run their mouth where it isn,t wanted ... Do timber beasts go to liberal light in the loafers forums and post , I doubt it , but don,t know for sure as I don,t go there ....... He shouldn,t be allowed on here !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I do post on a tree hugger (the majority of them) site. I try to counteract the "OH MY! THEY"RE GOING TO LOG THERE!" usual BS and maybe, just maybe, inform some of the nitwits. I'm on the "ignore" list of many.

So, on with log pushing. Was it well planned? Or did they just aim and launch?

Latest posts

Back