Hung-up tree -- 100+ years old!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachAK

Maker of much sawdust
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fun stuff. I found a very old hung-up tree over the weekend a few miles out of town, here in Sitka, Alaska.

I was hiking down a forested hill, about 1/3 of a mile from the beach and saw this from a distance:

cedar1.JPG

I thought it might be a hanging broken top, but it just looked really odd. When I got up close I saw that it's an old yellow cedar top hung up in a western hemlock crotch. Below this is a narrow slot canyon about 70-80 feet deep.

I can only guess that the tree naturally fell uphill, or possibly an ancient handlogger dropped the tree and it fell the wrong direction—but that seems a little less likely, since logically an old logger would drop the tree up or down the canyon. It would have had to have been a pretty big screw up to fall 90° to the facecut. Probably will never know that side of the story.

But here's what's a bit crazy:

cedar2.JPG

That ancient hand logger chopped the top of the cedar free from the bottom while standing pretty much strait under it. Granted, there were surely branches holding the top back then, but that would've still taken some big balls.

That said, that old handlogger had some good judgement, since the top is still hanging. I can't guarantee how old it is, but yellow cedar is known to stand dead well over a hundred years, and even still be good saw wood for up to 100. The area this is in was selectively cut of smaller yellow cedar, probably for ship building, since the stumps indicate a love for curves. Large scale boatbuilding slowed down here in the 1850s, to my understanding, before the Russians sold Alaska in 1867. Could be more recent, too, just no telling.

Those axe marks are still pretty clear:

cedar3.JPG

From this and other abandoned face cuts I've seen, it's clear the old handloggers kept their axes nearly razor sharp, but often had little nicks out of the edge. Must've been some burly dudes.

Happy working in the woods, everyone. What you leave might just be there for a heck of a long time.

Maybe the logger climbed the tree and topped it and this is the top after it fell from the canopy.

Maybe the logger climbed the tree and topped it and this is the top after it fell from the canopy.

That's a good theory, but I don't think so—though I could be wrong. The photos don't show everything, but based on steepness of the cut, the lack of a face cut and backcut, and the perfect height and orientation of the cut, I'm fairly convinced it was cut in it's current location.

Most likely he hung it up, then bucked it and the tree swung away like that. I did that today and will be pulling it down tomorrow.

Back