handsaw vs chainsaw for pruning and reductions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
im wondering if im the only one who prefers to take my handsaw up with me and make all my cuts. idk maybe i just make life hard on myself but i feel it leaves a cleaner wound and obviously lighter but the main reason is i feel i can control the cuts better. anyone agree?

If I can avoid it, I like to leave the saw on the ground and be able to move faster and easier without it around a canopy. But my shoulder and elbow arent what they used to be so I have to choose my battles and choose whether I carry my 2600 or Ibuki.

I normally run a MS200 but for light work the echo 2600 is a heap lighter and will get the job done nicely.

im wondering if im the only one who prefers to take my handsaw up with me and make all my cuts. idk maybe i just make life hard on myself but i feel it leaves a cleaner wound and obviously lighter but the main reason is i feel i can control the cuts better. anyone agree?

Really???? Dont get me wrong or anything but, are you worried about pulling wood persay and not being able to please your costomer if you use a chainsaw???

I like handsaws for pruning to....

So many reasons.
Pros -
1. Far more peaceful for all concerned.
2. Less chance of 'accidentally' damaging the tree.
3. As you say, better accuracy for your final cuts.
4. Easier to move around the tree.
5. Safer

Cons -
1. Can be tiring.
2. Ground crew don't know when things are coming down so tighter protocols needed.
3. Can be a little slower.

I always climb with a handsaw and find I use it a lot on the ground too. The big advantage being I don't have to put on chaps to use it. That being said it still is fairly easy to cut yourself but the injuries generally are not life threatening (but still hurt like ####). The main thing is to know your limitations and use a power saw when it becomes economical to do so.

So many reasons.
Pros -
1. Far more peaceful for all concerned.
2. Less chance of 'accidentally' damaging the tree.
3. As you say, better accuracy for your final cuts.
4. Easier to move around the tree.
5. Safer
Lighter, less smelly, easier to start ;) too.

Don't forget pole tools; they can add leverage and make very clean cuts too.

Unless I am going to be doing a cut larger than about 8" or several cuts 5" and up, I leave the chainsaw on the ground. Cutting a bunch of 2-3-4" I do better (better quality, and probably faster) with the handsaw (Sugoi). Some days that means the chainsaw is up with me the whole day...others that means it doesn't even come out of the truck.

I prefer my hand saw doing clean-outs, and I just like my silky "tiger saw". My boss thinks I should only use a chain saw, but he likes to spur trees we trim too. I was in a large live oak clean-out without my spurs on and he told me that I should start putting on my spurs in the big trees, and use the 200t more. Really just made me mad since I was trying to be professional, and I know for a fact that I could smoke him going up a rope footlocking and him on the tree. He is a 32 year treeman that started his business with a old Chevy van and a little 16 ft trailer. Mad respect for him to have a new bucket truck, two dump trailers, trucks and all now.

It depends on how many cuts, of what diameter. On bigger trims I may lash the 020 in the center "just in case". On some moderate trees that are getting a radical +/- 50% thin & raise (yes, I'll go that far on a tree with a very high vitality) the chainsaw is used more on smaller cuts.

Given my druthers, I would much rather not have the stink and noise.

I almost always carry my hand saw. I will whip it out for most branches under 1.5 inches rather than start the 200t and it is also great for lopping off the little suckers that get in your face.

Also, if I need to make a cut that I have to accurately control the way a branch peels off or if I need to hold the branch in order to toss it accurately onto a small drop zone I will choose the hand saw. I have found that my razor sharp Silky can zip through stuff plenty fast enough to keep my production speed high.

As far as pruning goes I will always make my final cuts with the hand saw unless the branch is big.

Yes, mine is permanently attached to my saddle as well. I love the trees that I don't have to call for the 200 on. I like the ones that I can do with my Hayauchi even more.

I will start out with my Sugio on every prune. It depends on how tired I get of hand sawing or how big of wood I run into whether or not I call for the 200t. Most of my pruning is deadwooding on mature trees. I am still doing some storm restoration work. I will often run into a large split limb that is still green two years out from the large ice storm we had. When I run into those I usually have to call for the power saw.

I now find myself doing more and more with the handsaw on removals, its just faster on small stuff to pull out the handsaw cut and move on. Of course if the 200 is already out then so be it, but a good handsaw is a GREAT tool.

I now find myself doing more and more with the handsaw on removals, its just faster on small stuff to pull out the handsaw cut and move on. Of course if the 200 is already out then so be it, but a good handsaw is a GREAT tool.

Happiness is sharp saw, mama...
(hack hack, swoosh swoosh)
When i hold you in my hand

and I feel you handle in my finger

I know that tree is comin down!

Yes, the handsaw is the tool of choice for a prune...species dependent of course.

Lately most of my work, has been takedowns so the 200t is getting a workout.

I also prefer a broom to a blower...I can count on one hand the jobs I've wished I had a blower...my buddy has one I can borrow if I need it...

Today I had a little climb, pulling spanish moss off cedars, lovely sunny day, HO's sitting out by the pool, house guest...throwbag on target in three tries (using the TM method...its working!) handsaw, then down and sweep it all up, they hardly knew I was there...nice!

Latest posts

Back