Harbor Freight: proponents of safe saw use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with using a chainsaw on a demo job, but this guy appears to be using one to cut openings in a new subfloor. No carpenter worth his salt would ever pick a chainsaw to do such a task (piecework framers notwithstanding), they'd choose a wormdrive (or sawzall) for plungecutting such a floor, as a good carpenter can cut circles with a wormdrive...thats how good they are with them. Ditto for sawzalls.
You're obviously looking at a HVAC or plumber in this instance, although plumbers don't generally wear toolbelts (lol!). I'm betting HVAC.

FYI, you hear a chainsaw fire up on your jobsite, you'd best go take a look, as its usually one of the aforementioned trades hacking up joists that they shouldn't.

Right larry? :)

You obviously don't have to work for a living.:deadhorse:

I'm not saying it can't be done because I have had to do it a time or two in a pinch, but have you ever tried to start a plunge cut into OSB (*1) with a sawzall? I'd take a chain saw any day and do a cleaner job with it too. Granted, a circle saw would be the first choice but schmidt happens some times and you may not have one.

Circles with wormdrives?:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: Again, it can be done but...:laugh: :laugh: I'll I can say is why don't you use the right tool for the job, dude.:dizzy:

As for the advertisement... it's retarded on HF's part to publish that picture. Probably some yuppy marketing chump thought it was a cool picture because it had a big manly chainsaw in it.:monkey:

*1= Oriented Strand Board is the name of the stuff he's cutting.

Haha, good thing you guy's didn't see me gutting our house for a major "remodel". I fired up my little Husky 350 and started ripping out walls, then I went to work on the floor. I cut at least a jillion nails, some tin can lids, and some antique cloth wrapped "romex".
I did however wear pants. :laugh:

Andy

you guys laughing at the framer for using a chainsaw simply don't know what your talking about. how many of you know it alls build houses for a living? a small saw is the best most efficient tool for cutting door and window openings. and if you really knew anything you would see that he is cutting a door or window in a wall that is laying down, not a sub-floor, but it makes no difference. i usually do it from the inside after the wall is raised. saves drawing lines, but he may be trying to reduce the weight of the wall by cutting out door and windows first. in this case i usually use a 3 horse router with a large flush cut piloted bit. you bust a hole in with your hammer, then rout it out. still a lot slower, and more work, than a chainsaw. i been using a chainsaw for framing for over 30 years, starting with a mini-mac 30, which i still have, and it still runs good. nowadays i never go on any job, new or remodel without my echo 3000. the name of the game is efficiency. you can't tell the difference between a good sharp chainsaw cut and a rough cut framing blade. i use safety chain, with about .020 rakers. and for you guys doing all the laughing, i challenge any of you to come out with your sawzall, jig-saw(jeezus), or rotozip(unbelievable) or circular saw and try and beat me cutting out any kind of opening. you will leave with your tail tucked you know where. i see a lot of guys that can't cut a straight line with any kind of saw. knowledge comes with experience. the pic below is just an example. i built this for a friend out in phoenix in 98 using only my 3000 echo and a cordless impulse gun. i even cut the mitres on the rough sawn doug fir facia with it. i only did that cause a retired ???????? engineer lived next door, and he was laughing when he saw me with a chainsaw, too. he wasn't laughing after i completed the building, however, and i went back the following year and built him one, too.

Last edited:
i also built this on park lake in bath, michigan in 04 using, guess what? echo 3000 and paslode impulse.

Nothing wrong with framing with a chainsaw. But trying to get a tan on your legs while doing it??????
I have framed and done demolition work with a chainsaw. The real joke is that the guy didn't buy that little stihl from Harbor Freight.

What they don't show is that he is on the second story, so when that saw kicks, he's heading out the door!:blob2:

Back