Harbor freight sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullCry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I run a small operation;therfore, I can't afford an expensive sharpener. I found where Harbor Freight is now selling theirs for $29.99 LOL. It looks ok and turns 4,200rpm and has a 7/8 inch arbor. Does anyone on here own one or know about them? Will they actually sharpen a chain and do a fair job.I sharpen all of mine by hand,which isn't too bad to me anyway. Thanks, FullCry

Will work okay if not pushed too fast. Doesn't have a tilt adjustment for the chain holder. Probably wouldn't hold up to everyday use.

I bought one and after 30 min of hard work mounting it to my workbench the darn think would not run, so I took it back to the store an got my money back. I was offered another one but I refused. I guess I will go back to my hand files.

I have the one your talking about and I have the NT Oregon copy($89). Spend the extra $ & get the NT grinder. The little HF one works ok, but the clamp system sucks and the motor makes some really strange noises. Do a search here on the NT grinder and there is about a page of threads, most arte favorable.

RD

The stock wheel mine came with is for .325 chain, not the 3/8 I run. It gave me straight edges, but not very sharp. There was a lot of play in the grinder too.

Andy showed me how to hand file correctly and I have never used the grinder again.

A correct wheel might make it better, but it is hard to plug it in out in the woods anyway. Plus, hand filing doesn't take long.

I won't go back.

I have one and used it to sharpen two dull stihl chains. After the sharpening they cut great. I'm no pro and simply wanted to save money vs. having the saw shop sharpen them. The HF will pay for itself very quickly and then if you want you can upgrade to a better one.

I have one.
I posted how to imporve it, while ago.

HOWEVER, if you have not bought one yet, you should stay away from it.

I would recommend to put that $30 you are about to spend aside, add $5 to the money pile everytime you hand file a chain loop, and when the money pile becomes $100 or so, buy NT and add improvement you find in this web site.

Good luck!

Noko

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I will stick with hand filing for now and maybe in the future get one of those Oregon machines. FullCry

lol ok ill be the odd man out im am actually happy i got mine for $ 39.99 :) dont get me wrong its not hand filing but as much cutting as i did before i hand filed it was well worth the money. that little hand grinder saved me A LOT of money why drive 26 miles to my stihl dealer when i could do the same if not better at my shop and save myself the gas. mine runs like a champ and i still use mine 5 or 6 times a week never failed me.

:):):)

Latest posts

Back