Hard maple and cherry froze out ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chads

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was at one of the properties today and noticed one of the hard maples died over the winter.
I think it froze out.
The entire tree doesn't have even one leaf.
Also my ornamental cherry looks like it may not make it.
It does have a few leaves but no blooms this year looks almost dead.
The local peach growers said there will be no peaches as the buds came out with a few days in the 40s and then we had 8 deg the next night.
I guess it killed the buds, the peach trees will survive but I am wondering about this cherry.
20140515_195046.jpg

20140515_195056.jpg

Should I trim the dead limbs off or wait a few weeks to see how its doing?
Chad

I was at one of the properties today and noticed one of the hard maples died over the winter.
I think it froze out.
The entire tree doesn't have even one leaf.
Also my ornamental cherry looks like it may not make it.
It does have a few leaves but no blooms this year looks almost dead.
The local peach growers said there will be no peaches as the buds came out with a few days in the 40s and then we had 8 deg the next night.
I guess it killed the buds, the peach trees will survive but I am wondering about this cherry.
20140515_195046.jpg

20140515_195056.jpg

Should I trim the dead limbs off or wait a few weeks to see how its doing?
Chad
Wait a few weeks. Excellent chance all the trees in question will sprout new buds and leaf out like normal. You lose the fruit but the leaves will come back.

I have seen a lot of weeping cherry looking pretty sad up in NW Ohio. We have one on that list in our back yard... It is just finally starting to break some more buds open. Look close...open a few buds with your fingers to see if they are still green. If so, that is good news. I have seen a few hard maple that also look pretty bare...but they are starting to come along. We will know a lot more in the next week-10 days with this warm-up coming.

Latest posts

Back