Hard Maple Bonanza!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We took down 17 trees around a cabin today, all Hard Maple except one Hemlock and one Basswood. Job took 7 1/2 hours with 7 guys. We chipped all the brush into the woods and didn't have to rake. We piled all the wood in log form and took 1/2 of it. The blooper of the day was when my groundman Chaz didn't seat my oil cap on the 200t and she let loose in the tree. At one point I got up to 70' on these nice tall, straight, pieces of timber.

DSCN2446.jpg

DSCN2444.jpg

DSCN2443.jpg

DSCN2441.jpg

Powerflex.
DSCN2449.jpg

DSCN2442.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my bro toppin' one.
DSCN2445.jpg

DSCN2447.jpg

DSCN2448.jpg

Here's the place after the massacre.
DSCN2450.jpg

Here's what the homeowner kept.
DSCN2451.jpg

I got 39 logs all told.
DSCN2452.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Treeco, around here a canopy will rot your roof in a hurry. Those trees were beautiful, but they will be put to good use. Maple saplings under those trees were thick, so there is plenty of regrowth started. That land is on the Flambeau River, I know a logger who has many 40's up there. It's all Hard Maple and gravel, construction company offered him $250,000 for one 40 ten years ago and he just laughed. Some of the best Canoeing/Fishing/Hunting up there.

Thanks, at least you got the power company to do something useful, it doesn't work out that way sometimes. They tend to be very poor at cuttin' trees, though they have all the money/time/equipment to do it. I used to work for them, not much to write home about.

Last edited:
Dan, now that you are back I am going to keep jumping this thread up until reply, probably making me pee my pants. Man, I hope it's soon........

i couldnt help but notice that you "borrowed" one of my poses. but i cant be too mad though as you did it in the tree. lol

looked like a good time.

tell chaz that he better make sure that oil cap is on right or you'll drop a biner on his head next time he's under the tree not looking up. lol

i see you got just a little more firewood for your collection.

Chaz is still learning, I try not to be too hard on the guy, but he insulted my saw by drenching it in oil, somethins gonna give.

Yes, the proven standard is the Powerflex, still workin at getting on the cover of the calendar. Sorry if I infringed on any patents, I'll send you the royalties in the mail. lol.

That job was a climbers dream. We had me, my bro, and my dad laying these things out 360 degrees around the perimeter. I pulled some stuff, but never let anything down on a rope, all freefalls. Dad had some roping, don't tell him I told you, but I could have felled it, lol.

My old man jumps in his first tree and tops it about halfway up and went for a nice whip, he was pumped, I was in my tree, looked over, and he's going back and forth like 4-5 feet. He says "haven't had a good ride like that in a while".

That log pile is twice as big now, I am stockpiling, clearing and logging, no time to cut and split. Just pulled a 30' trailer full in tonight after work and one last night. Will post a pic when it overtakes my yard!

Last edited:
We are just finishing a bonanza ourselves, 1 large live elm with a allthreaded trunk, 5 small to medium locust, and two small pines.
Got rid of the elm, got some board feet out of the pine and about 2 truck loads of locust for my firewood.
we do things differrent, of course, since it just me and Jamie, The Dan puts some stuff on the ground and then we chip and clear it. I go up and down the same tree a few times sometimes and why not? Its a BONANZA! The playing field we try to keep neat. Whatever it may be rest assured that I ( that's me) do NOT waste one single calorie of energy and every step taken is in foreword.
We got under 15 hours on this, I do have some pics, and alot of that time was spent on lunch. Can't wait to get the pics in my scrapbook. Thanks again for inspiring me to take some pics before I die. I also can't wait for show and tell and my kids school.

Glad to here you have embarked on a Bonanza of your own. Show and tell will be a good time, happy to inspire.

My dad and brother actually went to my old high school and taught climbing a couple times. I was busy, but would like to go and educate young people about it. When you are young is the time to learn this game, I wouldn't want to try to tackle all this at 30 or older. I had 8 years in the saddle by the time I was 20, you probably pick it up faster with maturity but years of experience can't be replaced.

There's comfort knowing you were born with climbing gear on and a chainsaw. You never have to wonder if you got into the wrong gig. You don't have a choice, it's destiny my friend.

Glad to here you have embarked on a Bonanza of your own. Show and tell will be a good time, happy to inspire.

My dad and brother actually went to my old high school and taught climbing a couple times. I was busy, but would like to go and educate young people about it. When you are young is the time to learn this game, I wouldn't want to try to tackle all this at 30 or older. I had 8 years in the saddle by the time I was 20, you probably pick it up faster with maturity but years of experience can't be replaced.

There's comfort knowing you were born with climbing gear on and a chainsaw. You never have to wonder if you got into the wrong gig. You don't have a choice, it's destiny my friend.

I didn't start climbing until 33. I really wish I'd started sooner, but.... Definately alot of SORE going from soft and pudgy to good climbing shape when you're not a kid anymore. But it can be done, and the sore is well worth the reward.

My kids have/will start climbing early, and feel at home on a rope. My thirteen year old jumps at the chance every time it's offered. No saws in the tree yet for him, that'll be a few more years.

I too closed a BONANZA today. Going to do 9 hickory removals monday and tuesday. Mostly medium sized, but there's one nice sized one with a good bit of the crown over a very nice house.

Gotta climb and top several, get to drop a few whole, get to hang the smallest one and remove it from the ground up (haven't done that before), and then rig the big one down to about forty foot or so and drop the spar. Looking to be a fun couple days, and can't complain about haulin hickory. Planning on having someone there just to take pics, if I can find someone.

Sounds good DDH, pictures would be great if you can swing it.

That job you got commin' definitely qualifies as a !Bonanza! Nice to have a lot of different trees in one spot to try different tricks. Hang em' and slay em' is a nice technique, I am sure you will enjoy. The GRCS really shines in that role.

Keep pushin' that kid of yours, boys need a good man to make them into one. I'll be looking forward to your pics.:)

what? did you move the bonanza ? I, I, thought it was in the picture forum.
I like the log stack strat. 39? Though I am no fan of maple, hard nor soft unless it was for mill. Maple does come down easy.
Screaming eagle work for sure, medals for the crew and all. Special badge of merit for exellent use of a helmet cam while on duty to you.
How many are you up to now? Still 4? Hard maple? now that would be sugar? I forgot exactly. Any maple but sugar it pretty easy. Sugar is not to bad but its heavy. norways, silvers is soft? sugar is hard? silver does seem a tad harder than norway.
Trident and some others are a native around here but nothing that grows as big the others. I like a maple tree but I like em small... that is if it was close to anything.
I know some NASTY maples. People can't afford to get anything done. You know, like memmy's job but worse. All huge and busted up with power on the road. No real big deal, you get a bucket to get it down but then you have massive rounds of rotten maple trunk and even bigger stumps with even bigger lateral roots. No money for a proper job. I looked at it with some guy who was really trying to bid to win, he wasn't prepared as it stood ( like memmy). You have to be honest or you'll die trying... to do the job that is.
You would not want to stick your 3120 into this stuff regulary, all hollow by the road, you find all the rocks and puke rot. wood is worthless and it sucks. Hawks circle over ya cause they know something is about to run out.

what? did you move the bonanza ? I, I, thought it was in the picture forum.
I like the log stack strat. 39? Though I am no fan of maple, hard nor soft unless it was for mill. Maple does come down easy.
Screaming eagle work for sure, medals for the crew and all. Special badge of merit for exellent use of a helmet cam while on duty to you.
How many are you up to now? Still 4? Hard maple? now that would be sugar? I forgot exactly. Any maple but sugar it pretty easy. Sugar is not to bad but its heavy. norways, silvers is soft? sugar is hard? silver does seem a tad harder than norway.
Trident and some others are a native around here but nothing that grows as big the others. I like a maple tree but I like em small... that is if it was close to anything.
I know some NASTY maples. People can't afford to get anything done. You know, like memmy's job but worse. All huge and busted up with power on the road. No real big deal, you get a bucket to get it down but then you have massive rounds of rotten maple trunk and even bigger stumps with even bigger lateral roots. No money for a proper job. I looked at it with some guy who was really trying to bid to win, he wasn't prepared as it stood ( like memmy). You have to be honest or you'll die trying... to do the job that is.
You would not want to stick your 3120 into this stuff regulary, all hollow by the road, you find all the rocks and puke rot. wood is worthless and it sucks. Hawks circle over ya cause they know something is about to run out.

Latest posts

Back