Hard to cold start Stihl 026, arrrgh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the wisdom folks, it's an old post but so is my hard starting but strong running Stihl 026. I figured the in-filter choke in the new foreign made filters just don't close properly. I see now maybe there is something else to try.
UncleNat

Thanks for the wisdom folks, it's an old post but so is my hard starting but strong running Stihl 026. I figured the in-filter choke in the new foreign made filters just don't close properly. I see now maybe there is something else to try.
UncleNat
Put it in a vice with the chain off the bar and pull it over with your thumb on the carb to act as a choke and see if it fires.

A shim placed between the master control contact arm and the choke actuator makes the 026 an easier starting saw. The ones I have shimmed start in one pull if the carb is set up correctly.
Wonder how much of this might play into my very hard starting MS250? Guess I need to look a few things over. I'm close to trying a carb replacement with a WT215 or just dumping the thing.

Complete choke closure for cold starting is essential. On some saws with a long fuel line and no primer bulb, I have even soldered shut the little hole in the choke plate, makes for fewer pulls to get fuel into the carb, just have to be sure to get the choke off after the first burp.

A Stihl tec showed me the difference between the early and late air filters per the choke flap arm.

Study the geometry carefully.

A couple minutes with a Dremel and all was good.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tried putting a short piece of shrink tube on the choke-flap arm but now the start/choke thumb lever does not seem to go all the way into the choke position. So do you modify the arm on the switch shaft or the filter? Unfortunately I chunked the old filter.

Seems to be a reoccurring issue with the 026. I have my dad my 026 a few years ago. He just started to complain that it starts hard. Looked it over, sure enough it's the stupid choke not closing all the way. New shaft solved that issue.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tried putting a short piece of shrink tube on the choke-flap arm but now the start/choke thumb lever does not seem to go all the way into the choke position. So do you modify the arm on the switch shaft or the filter? Unfortunately I chunked the old filter.

It’s the shape of the cam surface on the choke flap arm.

There is actually a mould parting line on the genuine Stihl filter that you grind back to.

Latest posts

Back