Harness for draft horse

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNClimber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anybody out there know a good company to get a harness from for a draft horse? I would like to get a leather one and would like to keep it as cheap as possible. A friend of a friend has a couple horses that they bought to ride but never do so they said I could use the one draft to do what ever with. I have been riding him for a while and he is very easy going. Also he was trained to pull but hasn't done it in a few years. I was going to try to log out 50-70 oaks off my old mans and two neighbors properties this summer with him. Also any advice would be helpful

Depends how you are going to be using the horses, as the synthetic harnesses are getting more life with less care, and are cheeper to buy.

The Amosh (spell check) are the bomb anymore with there tack, and hit a few of the bigger sales around here,,,,,,, one is just starting, if you the time, make it!

I could pick up a couple flyers if you would like?

Thanks for the info. To bad I cant make that. It wold cost me about $500 in just diesel to drive there. We have a horse show coming up in a couple months here as we'll. Thought I would check it out.

We'll I'm about 45 min north northeast of St.Paul on the Wisconsin border. My house is about 10 minutes from the St.Croix River.

A word of caution, you should really learn how to drive a horse before you hit the woods with him. When horses were used everyday in the woods of experienced teamsters, men and horses still got hurt. There are many things to consider before you do this that you haven't even thought of.

Yeah I figured that. Its dangerous enough in the woods with trees and equipment that usually doesn't have a mind of its own. Much less an animal and an inexperienced driver. At least my equipment usually does what I want it to do. I'm trying to get all the info I can before I try it out for real.

Maybe its not in business anymore but I think that I saw an ad once for a harness shop in St. Paul.

Driving a draft horse is not like riding one! At least take a class before you head to the woods. Better yet find a horse logger in your area and work with him for awhile. You risk injury to the horses by not using proper technique.

Nylon harnesses are lighter and easier to clean. With leather you have to clean and oil them constantly and during the off season they have to stay dry. Do you plan on driving one or two horses? The basic harnesses and trees can get pretty expensive. Add to that a logging cart and you may want to rethink the entire operation.

Driving a horse or a team is not like riding a horse!

Driving a draft horse is not like riding one! At least take a class before you head to the woods. Better yet find a horse logger in your area and work with him for awhile. You risk injury to the horses by not using proper technique.

Nylon harnesses are lighter and easier to clean. With leather you have to clean and oil them constantly and during the off season they have to stay dry. Do you plan on driving one or two horses? The basic harnesses and trees can get pretty expensive. Add to that a logging cart and you may want to rethink the entire operation.

Driving a horse or a team is not like riding a horse!

Very good advice 2dogs, it takes work to set things up right, and dedication to the animals to keep them happy and healthy combined with good overall knowlege of the techniques involved to keep alla critters safe (this includes people), it is way more than simply hooking a horse up :rock: :rock:

:cheers:

Serge

Good advice guys. Most people see the romantic side of driving a horse or a team behind a nice sleigh in the meadow and all of that stuff. They have no idea how dangerous it can be if you don't know what can happen.

Not to scare you MNClimber but I'll give you some things to consider. You say that the horse has been trained to pull but hasn't done it in a few years. Maybe its semantics but when I hear pull I don't think of driving or working. He may very well be an ex-puller. If so, that's not the kind of horse you want to start with. Have you ever seen the horse in a harness? A lot of people say that there horses are broke but the truth is that the horses may have had a harness on them once and that's it. Then you and the horse will be novices.

2dogs gave you the best advice. Find a horse logger or a farmer who uses his horses consistently. It will blow your mind about all of the things to consider with working horses. I don't mean to discourage you, I work my horses and love every minute of it. We just don't want to see your name in the paper.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Ok here we go. I have seen the horse in a harness but it was bulling a sled on the ground in the summer with sacks of something. He pulled for I believe 1.5 years. He is 6 now and he pulled when he was about 4. It wasn't an everyday thing. I would definitely like to see someone do it any if I could work with them a little. Because I in now way want the horse to get injured out of my stupidity or carelessness that I didn't even know I was doing. Also I realize that riding a horse is vastly different from driving one. As for cost I figured it wouldn't be cheap. But this is not for a business venture its for a hobbie for the most part. I figured if I take out a some trees it would offset the cost of the whole thing. Thanks for the links btw. Helpful info also I ordered a video from rural heritage. Thanks for the advise and comments keep'em coming.

That's a good start. Maybe that horse knows something then. Who was driving the horse at that time? Can they help you with the harnessing and driving? If they are familiar with that horse then you are one step ahead.

Maybe you could get the harness that the horse was driven in last or find out where they bought it from. Might save some headaches for you. The video can't hurt either but one on one help is invaluable.

I might be from a different pattern of thought here, but I believe that there is something we are born with that gives us certain abilities. Like shooting a bow to some, or an ability with horses. Just the fact of the love interest, there may be something there to begin with. And a very good chance that tapping and fallowing those instincts will far surpass years of 'force trained' skills.

I am not saying to just jump right into it, by all means get with someone first. What I am saying, trust that 'feel' you may already have.

Trust me here, there is going to be situations that team and teamster will fall into a working harmony that there are no words that can describe. When that happens, go with it and a rethem will develop.

God made horses as prof that he loves us and wants us to be happy. God gave us an ability to work in harmony with horses I think to show us how we can relate to him.

write a letter to this guy---clarke miller 19994 clay avenue dumont,ia 50625 hes good---but cant tell you about price as i dont know--hes been at it for years------i dont have a ph no for him--------

I might be from a different pattern of thought here, but I believe that there is something we are born with that gives us certain abilities. Like shooting a bow to some, or an ability with horses. Just the fact of the love interest, there may be something there to begin with. And a very good chance that tapping and fallowing those instincts will far surpass years of 'force trained' skills.

I am not saying to just jump right into it, by all means get with someone first. What I am saying, trust that 'feel' you may already have.

Trust me here, there is going to be situations that team and teamster will fall into a working harmony that there are no words that can describe. When that happens, go with it and a rethem will develop.

God made horses as prof that he loves us and wants us to be happy. God gave us an ability to work in harmony with horses I think to show us how we can relate to him.

I also believe each of us has a gift, maybe more than one, but that gift has to be discovered or pointed out. It may also be a burden at times. I can tell you what my gift isn't, farriery! :D My back hurts after trimming one hoof. Anyway I think we all agree that to get started properly takes quality instruction.

Mn I think you are saying that you will be ground driving one horse and skidding the log on the ground with tongs. Ground driving a horse or a team while you are pulling a log is a real challenge. You have to watch where the horses are going, you have to watch your footing, and you have to be very aware of the log that is trying to run you over. Agility is very important here. And a single horse can NOT pull a large log. Expect low production. But as you know horses are quiet, warm, and smell great. They will depend on you for food and water and companionship. You have to give of yourself to expect the same from your horse.

Hi, havent been on in a while.. Alot of good points have already been made here... You have to start somewhere, but be careful!!!! The bond between you and a good team in the woods words cannot describe!! They get to know what you're doing, where you're headed without you even saying a single voice command.. "Trust" is a big word working in the woods with a team, I trust my life to these animals every day I'm out there, as do they trust me... You wont get enough lift with one horse, I prefer Bio-plastic harness, it holds up to heavy pulling, low maintanence, and is pliable, not a whole lot lighter than leather, but its all I use... If a horse/horses sense (and believe me they do) you're nervous or edgey they will be as well, if they sense you're truly relaxed and confident so will they.. <Keep this in mind!!! When you do get in a situation you have to be calm or you'll have a mess on your hands for sure!! Horses fall in the woods on a regular basis.. Always have a good sharp knife on your belt!!! A skid cart does make it easier on the team if you have the room, but start out ground skidding, its dangerous as well, but trust me you're better off, side hills tight places, you can menouver alot better with just a team on the ground... Good luck, and be careful!!!

Last post got cut off somehow, sorry... A skid card does give your team some lift, and ground skidding is dangerous as well, but start out ground skidding.. You can manouver better with a team on the ground, tight places/trails, side hills... Down hill skidding is very dangerous as well, use one horse, stay tree length, and grab a couple sticks together for brakes, and just nudge til you get the feel of it... On a side hill a nice but log can flip a team.... Good luck, and be careful!!

Latest posts

Back