Has anyone here ever modified/simplified a cat stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckydiesel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm pondering the idea of modifying my Vermont Castings Defiant Encore stove to get rid of some parts which seem unnecessary as it seems like other designs are much simpler. Not really a big deal for me as I run a steel fabrication/manufacturing shop, but in the interest of getting ideas, anyone ever take on a similar project?

Thanks,
Phillip

Any pictures of your stove and the parts you want to remove?

I doubt there are a lot of parts there just for the heck of it?

If you have the tools lets see what your thinking.

The part I really don't like is the Refractory:
Zoom
The cat sits in this and it's very prone to damage...plus it adds no support to the structure of the cat which I would like for it to have. The cat for this stove is around $200, Refractory also $200.

Also, the upper part of the fireback (part with the damper...sits above the refractory) Zoom has some warpage which is causing things not to seal up well. This is another $200

Basically, when starting the fire, you open the damper and the smoke goes straight to the pipe. When warm, you close the damper, diverting the smoke to an opening below the damper, into the top of the refractory, through the cat, through the bottom and out the side holes of the refractory, then back up to the pipe.

Most other cat stoves I've seen basically have a damper and a cat in the upper part of the stove. When starting the fire, you open the damper and the smoke goes to the pipe. When you switch to cat operation, you close the damper and the smoke goes through the cat (which is next to the damper) and out the top of the stove. Seems silly to have $600 worth of parts that don't hold up when I could simplify the design and only have to replace the cat.

What I'm planning to do is build a angled box which will attach to the back of the stove, angling up from the bottom where the secondary air inlet is to the top, just behind the top loading door. In this box will be a bypass damper at the highest point, and below that will be the cat which will simply open into the box, venting right out the pipe.

If anyone sees any holes in this plan, please let me know. I'll probably be building the box this weekend.

Thanks,
Phillip

Would the metal of the angled box be able to handle 1600 degrees f. from the cat? Will the design provide secondary fresh air for the cat to use when burning smoke? Will this design just let all the heat from the cat go up the flue? Just sayin....

Update on your Encore hack ??
It is a highly engineered stove, too many complex parts working together including the fragile refractory ass'y box. And yes, there is a secondary air "thermostat" that 'monitors' cat temp.

Back