Has anyone split locust into fence rail posts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovetheoutdoors

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a side job coming up and will be cutting about 30 locust trees down. The guy im working for wants the trees split into fence rail posts, have any of you guys did this? Whats the right way to do it? and what are the best lengths? any info will help.

I used to split these into posts about 8 feet long. At first i did it using a sledge and wedges think i kept 3 or 4 wedges handy but usualy 2 is all it takes .Its just like splitting firewood ,but you want to keep the things as uniform as you can .Later i made a hydraulic splitter for this . If these are going to be rails as in horizontal im not sure on the length but the thickness would be smaller than a post. I think the same way to split as for posts would apply.

B-Edwards.....When you start splitting the 8 ft section, where do you begin with the wedges?

lovetheoutdoors said:
B-Edwards.....When you start splitting the 8 ft section, where do you begin with the wedges?

You start a wedge in the end of the log and then chase the split with other wedges as you work down the log. You have to plan the start of the split to (hopefully) miss any knots. I did a bunch back in the 70s splitting them for fence posts. Locust really is not that hard splitting, I think it is ranked as either 'easy' or 'medium' - been a long time since I saw a list.

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
You start a wedge in the end of the log and then chase the split with other wedges as you work down the log. You have to plan the start of the split to (hopefully) miss any knots. I did a bunch back in the 70s splitting them for fence posts. Locust really is not that hard splitting, I think it is ranked as either 'easy' or 'medium' - been a long time since I saw a list.

Harry K

thanks for your reply, i dont know if 8 foot lengths or 10 ft lengths would be better.

lovetheoutdoors said:
thanks for your reply, i dont know if 8 foot lengths or 10 ft lengths would be better.

Depends on the fence you're building. If you want a 6' fence, you're going to need 8' posts, or thereabouts.

I should get started on it at the end of next week. First i will drop all the trees and cut them into the lengths prefered. Then go to work with the axe and wedges:clap:

lovetheoutdoors said:
I should get started on it at the end of next week. First i will drop all the trees and cut them into the lengths prefered. Then go to work with the axe and wedges:clap:

Be aware before starting that your rails/posts will not be neat, straight thingies. They will twist, turn and have knotty bumps. Great for a rustic look. Locust doesn't split into neat things like cedar does.

Harry K

The Amish up here in NE Ohio go crazy for locust fence post simply because the last forever. I believe they like to cut them when they are somewhere between 4 and 6 inches in diameter so they don't have to monkey around with splitting them, but I am sure they would take them however they could get them. I used to have one guy that was always asking me for them.

I did start at the end when splitting them but i didnt do it like firewood, i stared on the side . You need to see where the grain runs, and go through knots or avoid them. It wont take you long to learn all of this.Make sure your not splitting them to small or to large because you want to get all you can out of a log but dont make toothpicks either. Good luck.

I saw on pbs or something some guys splitting long pieces of wood with a froe and some kind of jig they made to keep it up at chest height. The jig allowed them to pinch the wood in between two other pieces of wood so it wouldn't move while they pounded on the froe. If sounds feasible write back I will try to explain it better.

I can't remember the program, sorry. There is a froe being autioned on ebay. The jig was like a horse you would make to lay logs in to cut them with a hand saw, follow me? But it was six foot tall. the crossmember was two 2x4's offset close to the width of the wood you be spliting. The wood to be split was placed in between the 2 bys and put some down force on while the other guy wacked at the froe with the mallot. There is a guy (woodshop) on this site, he is the jig master. pm him with this he'll be better at setting you up with a plan. Good luck, happy spliting.

Adrpk said:
I can't remember the program, sorry. There is a froe being autioned on ebay. The jig was like a horse you would make to lay logs in to cut them with a hand saw, follow me? But it was six foot tall. the crossmember was two 2x4's offset close to the width of the wood you be spliting. The wood to be split was placed in between the 2 bys and put some down force on while the other guy wacked at the froe with the mallot. There is a guy (woodshop) on this site, he is the jig master. pm him with this he'll be better at setting you up with a plan. Good luck, happy spliting.

thanks for the info!!!

Ah the memories.........

I have never spit locust wood but have done far too many rails from cedar. I wouldn't even bother with a froe (sp?), we used two (3) good wide wedges and once you get two or three feet down the length use two long (6+ft) prybars to seperate the rest, saves a ton of work but takes two peeps. We made our bars out of circa 30's car drive shafts (the octagonal ones) and had the one of the ends tapered and flattened (we took them to a local blacksmith who did that for a case of beer and 20$, good deal imo, kept them from being brittle), they were about 7' long for leverage (watch yer shins btw) as we were doing logs up to 3ft diam.. It beats the heck out of hammering away for half the day and my mate and I could do several hundred on a good day. Biggest mistake I made was offering to build the fence lol, iyiyiyi, 10ft posts in gravel (ever go for a ride on an auger? oi), he wanted 3ft in the ground, burnt ends. A week later when it was done the owner told us they were too high (the posts) and I had to walk down the line with saw in hand and buck them off (if I remember it was about 200 posts in) :cry: You will find prybars will make short work of it, as for using locust from what I know they do last a very long time and are one of the best post choices.
Just my 0.02$ worth despite the, um, fond memories.

:cheers:

Serge

I've split rails and posts by striking a line and then make a sawcut about halfway through lengthwise, then finish with wedges. That eliminates uneveness from knots and curves and still gives the hand-split look. Never once felt safety was jeopardized. After the posts are in the ground, I mark the rail heights with a storypole and chainsaw the rail holes with a plunge cut using safety chain to minimize kickback. No problems after doing this for about 25 years.

buzz sawyer said:
I've split rails and posts by striking a line and then make a sawcut about halfway through lengthwise, then finish with wedges. That eliminates uneveness from knots and curves and still gives the hand-split look. Never once felt safety was jeopardized. After the posts are in the ground, I mark the rail heights with a storypole and chainsaw the rail holes with a plunge cut using safety chain to minimize kickback. No problems after doing this for about 25 years.

A man from wheeling should know for sure after 25 years of doing this. I am no expert but have lived in the woods a life time.

I will correct a few ideas related here. A from is for pallens, shingle shakes and tobbacco sticks and such. Not for spliting rails.

Now you say locust is it black locust or yellow or some kind I have not heard of. Traditional rails are 11 feet in lenght for 10 feet spans.

Locust is preferred by them that have nothing better and is a fine material but far over rated. It will last 20 years in the ground and longer is harvested in the fall and set in a good gravel bed. I have seen some last 100 years but its the exception not the rule. Osage orange ( bodock and other perverions of the frech name that I will not attempt here is the best) for post but Chestnut (not available so much any more) is the ultimate rail.

Spliting is a learned art and you tackle it and learn as you go. 2 wedges work fine for small trees but larger ones may require 3-4 wedges and numerous wooden gluts.

Buring ( charring) then ends of post will extend the life many fold and will make white and red oak last near as long as locust.

Slant cut tops or tin can covered ones where function over looks is a good way to go.

If it is rocky ridge stunted holler and dying locust then its not going to last 20 good years but if its rich ground healthy locust you may get a good bang for your buck...

Least that is how if is around here.

Charlie

What would you guys say the best size of wood will be to split, i dont want to waist my time on small stuff, it is very good firewood. i dropped a few of them yesterday and limbed it and cut my 10ft sections but im wondering what thickness is to small to split.

Back