Has anyone split locust into fence rail posts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long straight first cuts is the premium stuff to split and also last best. By far the best spilts as well if you are familiar with slitting rails or even if you are not. You can start a wedge in the end as was suggested but spilting them is a process as the other guy describbed and you follow the split down the log. Some cases more than Knot( pun intended) you are correcting the split down the log. The two bar method the one man described is also good. You also need a pole axe and or double bit and very sharp ones. Using a chainsaw with ripping or standard teeth is a possibility but not generally the one for the desired finished look.

All folks here also described using poles and plunge cuts etc. Not bad advise from the man from WVA but have you considered a more traditional stacked rail fence? These was more often a 12 feet rail and not post or holes are desired.

Then you have ask how big? Well when you get used to splitting you will find the bigger the better of course. After first split the hugher the better. Rest of the splits then are much easier after first. This is not childs play you understand nor for frail yungins or women. It is hard work and is made easier only with years of it and some patience and skills. If there are any 90 year old men around you they may can watch and advise you better.

See a log hughing kit on ebay some months ago and while it was every professional 200 year old tool needed for making a hughed log house, many of them would make your spliting easier as well but you do not require more than wedges and a hammer but sheap nose maul and axes and splitting mauls ( not really the modern ones) more blunt older ones specific to your needs makes the job much easier.

Hope some of this helps.

Again of all I have written here, large straight trees are your friend and no limbs for first 10 feet.

Finally talk to your customer and see if they would prefer sassyfrass if it is avaliable as it works easier and is lighter 10 times and will out last the locust in the same conditions .

Last suggestion is if they want blackgum or dog wood split for any reason you run just as hard as you can go.

Charlie

Gladhatter, you are right on the mark with what you say. I like to do things the traditional way and should try using only wedges - may even be faster than sawing with the right tree. Stacked rail is also a good option. Takes a little more splitting but no digging and no holes to cut.

Lovetheoutdoors,
As for size, if I have a 4" - 5" dia. tree, I'll split it in two for rails. I like at least 6" for a post. If the diameter is 9" or larger, I'll split into multiple rails. Haven't worked with anything bigger yet but will be soon.

As Gladhatter said, the tradional length for a section of fence is 11'. This was done to aid in surveying. Six lengths equals 66' or one Gunters Chain. Ten square chains equals one acre, 80 chains equals one mile (880 feet or one furlong). One could walk along a fence and determine the size of the field.

I believe ten feet is the standard length for rails now - at least that was the length I got when I ran out of locust and had to buy some.

buzz sawyer said:
Gladhatter, you are right on the mark with what you say. I like to do things the traditional way and should try using only wedges - may even be faster than sawing with the right tree. Stacked rail is also a good option. Takes a little more splitting but no digging and no holes to cut.

Lovetheoutdoors,
As for size, if I have a 4" - 5" dia. tree, I'll split it in two for rails. I like at least 6" for a post. If the diameter is 9" or larger, I'll split into multiple rails. Haven't worked with anything bigger yet but will be soon.

As Gladhatter said, the tradional length for a section of fence is 11'. This was done to aid in surveying. Six lengths equals 66' or one Gunters Chain. Ten square chains equals one acre, 80 chains equals one mile (880 feet or one furlong). One could walk along a fence and determine the size of the field.

I believe ten feet is the standard length for rails now - at least that was the length I got when I ran out of locust and had to buy some.

thanks for the info, im gonna have various sizes from 5"-6" up to 2ft or so. I have started off cutting them into 10ft sections.

lovetheoutdoors said:
thanks for the info, im gonna have various sizes from 5"-6" up to 2ft or so. I have started off cutting them into 10ft sections.

Well I think you will do well but at 10 feet you will have to do the post at around 9 feet to allow the hewn ends to penetrate the post. 13 feet is good for stacked rails but then they are not as easy to manage.

I think you will enjoy it regardless and it can be a rewarding experience if you allow it.

You want to get a good center split on the larger one for sure then just start spliting healthy slabs off them and then respilt them to a desired size. It should make a beautiful fence. If you get er dun we may work out another one and let you ship her down this way...

Charlie

As to size. Just personal preference but I wouldn't bother with a log that I couldn't get at least 4 rails out of.

I started to put together a "old timers" log kit. All I got so far is the adz and a drawknife. Have been looking for a broadax but the ones I found (ebay) are way over priced.

That adz is a great tool for taking stumps down below ground level. Hard on the tool but it works great.

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
As to size. Just personal preference but I wouldn't bother with a log that I couldn't get at least 4 rails out of.

I started to put together a "old timers" log kit. All I got so far is the adz and a drawknife. Have been looking for a broadax but the ones I found (ebay) are way over priced.

That adz is a great tool for taking stumps down below ground level. Hard on the tool but it works great.

Harry K

That had one to die for on there almost a year ago. 400 I think for it all but it had dove tail jigs and brace and bit and other boring rigs all the trimmings some that I had never knew existed with it.

Hope you can find it in a search as I doubt it sold.

I dunno Gladhatter i hear Blackgum makes a mighty fine split rail:hmm3grin2orange:

B-Edwards said:
I dunno Gladhatter i hear Blackgum makes a mighty fine split rail:hmm3grin2orange:

Well yeah but I hoped to throw all the users off and they would not split up all the Black gum that a way. Now I will have to try and hide the next in line favorite of green Sycamore from them.

Charlie

gladhatter said:
Well yeah but I hoped to throw all the users off and they would not split up all the Black gum that a way. Now I will have to try and hide the next in line favorite of green Sycamore from them.

Charlie

BLACK GUM!!!!:deadhorse: geez i dont even try to slpit that stuff by hand.

I will keep you fellas up to date on this project.....i fell several trees today, and i looked around and counted there are way more than 30 locust trees....more like 70 or 80......its a good thing im working by the hour.

Latest posts

Back