Has the Stihl 201t been factory tweaked?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetjetskier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was at a Stihl dealer the other day picking up some parts and we started to talk about the 210t.

He said they have had some factory updates to them that have made them run much better than the first production ones.

Changes were to cylinder and timing as he explained to me.

Was in a bunch of BS or did they make some much needed improvements?

Can anyone substantiate this?

I was at a Stihl dealer the other day picking up some parts and we started to talk about the 210t.

He said they have had some factory updates to them that have made them run much better than the first production ones.

Not for sure but from what I have read it would be nice if they did. It would surely stop those $1400 price tags those new MS200T are getting. :msp_razz:

Not for sure but from what I have read it would be nice if they did. It would surely stop those $1400 price tags those new MS200T are getting. :msp_razz:

I'm seeing more like 1250, which still means i sold out too early. I had 2 new ones and 2 used ones.

Market bubbles like this always smooth out. If I was an OEM I would most certainly be on top of this opportunity. It is obvious that arborists are willing to spend $1200+ on a good top-handle.

So make one, and make it $1200. I'm sure with twice the money for exotic materials etc, they could make something more powerful and lighter and more compact than a 10-year-old design.

Could be a mixed bag of truth and BS. Port timing is not a problem at all with the 201.

I call mostly BS. My 201 was a dog before Brad did his thing and I tuned it correctly in the wood. Leave the tach at home on this one Gentlemen.

Could be a mixed bag of truth and BS. Port timing is not a problem at all with the 201.

I'm not questioning your opinion. Do you think your mods would get past emissions?
Muffler tweaking, no doubt, will make a vast improvement. I know they did something to the saw after introduction. There was a colored mark near the bar code, on the box. Usually that's a sign of an update. Could have just been the carb. Our dist is EXTREMELY closed lip on the whole matter. The fatherland never admits to....... miscalculations.

I'm not questioning your opinion. Do you think your mods would get past emissions?
Muffler tweaking, no doubt, will make a vast improvement. I know they did something to the saw after introduction. There was a colored mark near the bar code, on the box. Usually that's a sign of an update. Could have just been the carb. Our dist is EXTREMELY closed lip on the whole matter. The fatherland never admits to....... miscalculations.

This Stihl dealer didnt get very detailed about what was done to improve the newer saws.

He did say they have over 6 of the latest production out in the field and they run much better than the original ones.

I asked here on AS because there are many Stihl dealers and end users of a 201, that may have either been made aware of changes or guys running them have seen an improvement on the latest saws from the Stihl factory.

I would buy one if they would start to get consistently good marks by those who own them. So far though, not so good. I'm still trying to string out my 200's.

Emissions? Who gives a **** about that. :msp_w00t:

Yes, there is some merit here. I dont know the specific changes, but can find out more if need be. A good friend in the industry told me about some changes to the 201 a month or so ago. A cylinder change was one of them. I will try and let you know some more info within the next week unless someone else here can first.

Agreed especially when the monster government owned SUV the EPA is driving is spewing more pollution than our chain saws.

Nope

"a saw having the power of a MS-361 and meeting the Phase 1 regulations puts out just about the same total emissions in 6 hours as a car meeting the Fed. Regs. driven 3000 miles."
-http://www.##################/board/index.php?topic=42187.0

Yes, there is some merit here. I dont know the specific changes, but can find out more if need be. A good friend in the industry told me about some changes to the 201 a month or so ago. A cylinder change was one of them. I will try and let you know some more info within the next week unless someone else here can first.

When you say "In the industry", you mean a Stihl employee ? Hard to believe they missed on cylinder design.

I call BS, I'm with a Stihl dealer, they are aware of the issue's with performance and are working hard to get a improved performing platform on the shelves, was at a update meeting this week, no mention of cylinder changes etc. The issue is with how to get more out of it and keep it within EPA standards. I think it's safe to say that you will see a 201TCM in the future, they are well aware of the issues/perception of this platform and more than one person brought up Brad's performance enhancing methods. You can bet the performance will improve on this model. The tune that was suggested was bring the saw to 3000 rpm on the LA screw, turn the L screw out 1 5/8 turn and the H screw all the way against the limiter for now.

I call BS, I'm with a Stihl dealer, they are aware of the issue's with performance and are working hard to get a improved performing platform on the shelves, was at a update meeting this week, no mention of cylinder changes etc. The issue is with how to get more out of it and keep it within EPA standards. I think it's safe to say that you will see a 201TCM in the future, they are well aware of the issues/perception of this platform and more than one person brought up Brad's performance enhancing methods. You can bet the performance will improve on this model. The tune that was suggested was bring the saw to 3000 rpm on the LA screw, turn the L screw out 1 5/8 turn and the H screw all the way against the limiter for now.

I haven't seen any service update that backs this up.

What I'm telling guys using the 261 362 and 201's is run as much as possible to break them in.
After they've loosened up bring them back in I richen them up 1/8-1/4 on avg.

It seems like they're super tight from the factory and need more fuel.

When you say "In the industry", you mean a Stihl employee ? Hard to believe they missed on cylinder design.

I will be able to tell you a little more by mid week. I cant say for sure that it is a cylinder change, but that is what I did hear. My information comes from a tech that is generally one of the first to know (or so it seems) about changes and updates. He has been right in the past, I will take his word on the upcoming changes.

You can bet the performance will improve on this model. The tune that was suggested was bring the saw to 3000 rpm on the LA screw, turn the L screw out 1 5/8 turn and the H screw all the way against the limiter for now.

The throttle response may get a tad better, and of course that is all the dealer may be able to do (EPA) but they are still way lean on the high side and miserable to run. Its a shame a dealer cant do the carb and exhaust work needed to bring them around. It isnt a 15-20 minute job.

I hope they get better out of the box, Im sure Stihl has lost some ground in the top handle market.

Latest posts

Back