Hate to ask, but would you guys take a look at this splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firtree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I saw an interesting splitter that caught my eye for sale the other day. Price is
pretty low and some of it seems well thought out, but there are a couple of
goofy things.

My biggest concern is what looks like pipe elbows connecting the hydraulics
to the valve. Am I right? Any idea of what it would cost to fix this? Anything
else catch your eyes?

Thank you so much!

woodsplitter002.jpg

woodsplitter001.jpg

The pipe elbows will not be any problem.

The splitter that I borrow, has them also.
It is about 30 years old and the elbows are too.

I know it has also been mentioned here about the location of the hydralic tank, it should be mounted above or at least level of the pump to allow gravity feed to the pump.
I have seen several splitters with the tank mounted below the pump, but I think it is a concern about the pump cavitating and starving for fluid. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry Moddoo but i strongly disagree. Not all pipe elbows are created equal and you (or anyone) probably can't tell from these pictures what these elbows are. The splitter looks to be a simple, clean looking design that should get the job done for almost any homeowner. If the price is right I'd jump on it and head straight to the local TSC store to buy the correct fittings to replace those street 90's. I'll bet you have less than $50 in fittings to correct someone elses mistakes. Keep in mind you dont have to replace the fittings on the return side but there is no way I would get near that thing without the correct hydraulic elbows on the high pressure lines.

If the price is right, I would buy it. It is a good starting point if you want to modify it little by little while still using it. I love the wedge!

I wouldn't give a lot of thought to the tank/pump location. All of the store bought splitters with the tank in the axle are below the pump and they function fine.

How long has the thing been working with that elbow installed? If it has seen a reasonable amount of use, it will likely continue to be ok.

Sorry Moddoo but i strongly disagree. Not all pipe elbows are created equal and you (or anyone) probably can't tell from these pictures what these elbows are. The splitter looks to be a simple, clean looking design that should get the job done for almost any homeowner. If the price is right I'd jump on it and head straight to the local TSC store to buy the correct fittings to replace those street 90's. I'll bet you have less than $50 in fittings to correct someone elses mistakes. Keep in mind you dont have to replace the fittings on the return side but there is no way I would get near that thing without the correct hydraulic elbows on the high pressure lines.

I guess I only should have said that the elbows that are on the splitter that I borrow are 30 years old and haven't had any problems.

I have no idea what you've got there.

I am no hydraulic parts expert.

It looks well built. I like the wings & was already thinking about adding them to mine. If the price was right you should scarf it.........

RD

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input, guys. I called the seller and will have to wait until
tomorrow to go out and look at it, as he says the tires are not up to a
one hour trip home, so I need to bring my trailer to work tomorrow. Alas,
someone is, of course, taking a look at it tonight so I expect that it will be
gone. Thank you for all of your opinions.

My 2 cents - If I owned it, I'd cut the wings on an angle from the back to the front, so I could stand right next to the beam, rather than leaning over. Extend them out past the wedge to make a catcher/tray there for the pieces that need to be re-split. Looks good though, like they say "try it before you buy it"

If the price is right, I would buy it. It is a good starting point if you want to modify it little by little while still using it. I love the wedge!

I wouldn't give a lot of thought to the tank/pump location. All of the store bought splitters with the tank in the axle are below the pump and they function fine.
Yeah, I agree with you on that one. I mentioned it because I have seen the discussion here about location of the tank, but mine is axle mounted and I havent had any problems. After reading the discussion about the potential problem, it made me leery about buying mine, but I havent had any problems with it.

Thanks for the input, guys. I called the seller and will have to wait until
tomorrow to go out and look at it, as he says the tires are not up to a
one hour trip home, so I need to bring my trailer to work tomorrow. Alas,
someone is, of course, taking a look at it tonight so I expect that it will be
gone. Thank you for all of your opinions.

If that splitter is priced right it will be gone. Better call him and tell him you will be right over after work with the money, but you will have to run it first.
I miss alot of deals because I can't get there in time :censored:

Brian

The 30 year old elbows on the borrowed splitter are probably usa made. I would change to hyd fittings on anything that is going to see pressure. Injected oil is not pretty.

Last edited:
Don ask me about hydraulics or function but I kind of like the mix of John Deer and McCormick tractor colors! TeeHee! That blue - is that a Marlins football color? Actually, I really do like the colors! Makes it unique so if it ever walked away from your yard you would have a great description to give to the police! :)

Shari

Other "buyer" was a putz. After making the seller go through a full demo the
guy said that he wanted to take it home but he had no money. Could he take it
and send him the money? Nice...

So I am running over tomorrow during lunch. Hopefully I can get the thing onto
my 8'x6' utility trailer. As a plus, I won't have to worry about registering it if
that works. Thanks for all of the advice, I'll let you know how it goes!

Latest posts

Back