Hated to do it.. but......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I hate to admit this.. But I used a match tonight and refired the OWB. My baby girl is cold.. 17 and if her room gets below 82 she whines..LOL It has slipped down to 73.4°
Although this radiant heat in the slab it might be morning before her room gets back up to temps.
OWB was at 63° when I lit it a bit ago.

I threw the bucket over the stack last night & told the wife that was it for the season. With all the rain today I'm starting to think a little different.
I might be tempted to fire the old girl back up the next couple days.

I keep thinking about letting mine go out.....But it still is cool at night and the free hot water... Maybe another week or so...Maybe june!

Mine's still burning @ 160 with the temp diff set to 3 deg, otherwise it'll go out. Still dips to 32 or so @ night here.
:cheers:
Paul

Still burning since oct. 1. Will till go out west second week of may is always shut down, hae had to refire when got back before as my buddy from Fla. has thinner blood now it seems after several yrs down south.

C.B.

I shut mine off a few weeks ago,the propane has only turned on a few times.Stat is set at 62...it's cold.I have been thinking about re-firing it.

I got home from Muskegon last night and I heard the furnace running and the stat is set at 60, so I figured I should refire for a few days. Temps may be in the 70's on Wednesday so I may let it go out for good then. It doesn't take much to get it back up to temp with good dry wood and a few slabs of pallet wood.

Kyle

Let it go out? Mine has been burning since the install last August and don't really have any plans of letting it go out. Wood is cheaper than electricity or gas to heat my water, plus it has been getting cool around here at night, especially with a couple of windows cracked all the time. Man, I love free (almost) heat.

I had thoughts bout letting mine go out also after the few 80 degree days we had....not now it's back to 30's mornings and damp rain. I took down 200' of half rotted locust split rail fence last weekend that's burnin nice mixed in with some storm damaged pine I cleaned up, It's lookin like june is gonna be the fire down month.

Ive still had fires in the woodburner at night. It looks like its going to be cool the next day or two. Im not ashamed to say Ill keep burning for a while.:cheers:

I let the fire go out, capped the flue and turned the power off to my OWB about 3 weeks ago - but I had not yet cleaned out and oiled the firebox.

Last night I fired it back up.....it got cold here and was down to 43 degrees last night and I didn't like watching the electric meter spinning.

The temperature will warm back up into the 70's later this week.....I am sure this is the last burn for this year.

When I got home last night after a meeting it was about 9:00 and getting colder.....so I stirred the coals from the Monday night fire and threw in a couple arm loads of wood. When we woke up this morning the thermometer said it was 34 and there was frost on the car. This should be the last day of the OWB revival........but only time will tell.

Still buring during the nights. I have a thing for free hot water and a nice hot shower in the morning. I set my OWB at 155/145 and the house at 70º during the night and keep a window open.

Yesterday I cleaned out the ashes while in my T-Shirt and fired it back up with twigs and branches the came off the trees during the winter. Not a good thing to do. Lucky it was cool outside because those limbs smoke up a storm. Nothing beats well seasond wood.

Still burning here too. It keeps dropping down to freezing at night so an armload a day will do.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yesterday I cleaned out the ashes while in my T-Shirt and fired it back up with twigs and branches the came off the trees during the winter. Not a good thing to do. Lucky it was cool outside because those limbs smoke up a storm. Nothing beats well seasond wood.

I made that mistake as well.....once. It was spring and lots of little sticks and branches had blown out of the trees when we had a strong wind. Since the limbs and sticks were all dead and appeared to be dry I threw them in the OWB. It was pretty warm that day and I spent the entire day cleaning up the yard, picking up sticks and mowing....and I had the OWB it pretty well stuffed full by the end of the day. As the evening coolness approached and it just began to get a little dark I lit the fire to keep us warm that night.......What a Mistake! There was very little air movement and the evening air was damp, and the OWB belched a thick cloud of grey smoke that settled to the ground and covered my 5 acre hay field with a layer of smoke that went from the ground up to about 10 feet. Thank goodness I don't have any neighbors that can see that portion of my property.....I would have been one of those guys that give OWB owners a bad name. I no longer burn sticks in my OWB....except maybe to throw one or two in while a hot fire is already in progress.

Still burning here too. It keeps dropping down to freezing at night so an armload a day will do.

Same here. One fire with an armload of seasoned maple to cut the chill in the morning and then it's good for the rest of the day if it's sunny.

Latest posts

Back