Hauling Firewood in Log Form. Why On Earth Would Ya!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TONKA ! :clap:

Ted: Pull/roll logs down from the pile onto other logs on the ground set perpendicular to the one to buck. Then no pinching, kickback, or droping.
Use a pulphook, peavy, hookaroon, etc.., or ATV and line to pull the logs down for bucking. Quick, safe, easy.
We never buck ON a log pile.

Last edited:
I get them in log form because that is by far the easiest way to transport from my father-in-law's property. Two and a half cords on the trailer or a half cord in the truck - one trip versus five (actually six because the back of the truck is usually filled too.) The best part is that he brings it to me, though I've picked it up a few times also. The best way depends on what equipment you have - in this case a dump flatbed trailer:
attachment.php

Though he has been known to attach sides to it:
attachment.php

When you haul wood 150 miles(one way) you do it in the best way. Plus 2 old geezers cutting dead and down trees or just unwanted ones, it makes more sense to load maybe 20 or 30 logs then 2 to 3 hundred pieces. We load them with the winch on the trailer and the smaller ones with a loader. We just let the young squirt make them into firewood.

Everyone has different needs. To be considered is time to load unload, distance you are hauling the wood, equipment needed, etc. For me this summer I drove to the lake, told game and parks what to load in back of my truck, then headed home with a fairly good load (three to four cords). Took about 10 minutes to load, about the same to unload by hand (truck is a drop-side). Now I can cut them up in my spare time at home, an hour here and hour there. You can get a lot more wood in log form then in stacked rounds. I would not have time to go get wood in less than an hour so it is getting more wood less time. Now when I have no one to load me I cut 16" and load by hand, although takes about 6 hrs to cut, load, and stack two cords then its time to go to real-work after that for 8 hrs.

Manual labor, I didn't get a mexican with my saw or splitter so I try to avoid too much labor. It's easier for me to drag my logs to the splitter, block them up there, roll the rounds to the splitter, split at my leisure. Right now I have a load of rounds at the splitter that start at 10" dia. up to 30" + dia. There's no way I'll haul them by hand any more, tried it once or twice and decided it was for the young and foolish. Now I drop a tree or two, drag to the splitter, buck up and roll away. Believe me it's a lot easier on the back. I'm offered many trees for pick up at a drop site but then again that manual labor part kicks in and I refuse it, if it's nearby and I can get to it with the tractor then it's a different story. Think long term health and you'll choose the easier method.

Well I just got back from the woods where I had planned on limbing and bucking into 6 foot lengths or so and hauling with a quad later on but the darn water in the woods wasn't frozen yet and I would have been standing (and dropping wood) in 4 inches of water. So I backed out and lo and behold found a sweet red oak ripped up by the storm and went to work. It was close enough so it was cut and haul baby. Had a brand new chain on the saw and it felt good. Like a hot knife through butter. I'll be hauling logs in a few weeks. I found some nice ones on my walk.
View attachment 217450

I cut, split & stack wood because I like the exercise. I also REALLY like saving money over propane, but mostly I like being outside and the physical labor involved. I'm 56 now, with no major physical complaints, so maybe when I'm 86 I'll think differently. :clap::rock:

Latest posts

Back