Hauling in wood.. My style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I obviously never leave the farm to gather firewood. so I do not need roadability. I do go as far as 1/4 mile on the road. But that is just from one woodlot to another. The trailer will haul a little over a face cord piled and more if you bother to stack it. I hardly ever stack it.. I figure I need a drink and a rest sometime,

nice, I usually don't have to leave my property to cut, but occasionally am given a tree I can't pass up. Nice pic.

nice set

I obviously never leave the farm to gather firewood. so I do not need roadability. I do go as far as 1/4 mile on the road. But that is just from one woodlot to another. The trailer will haul a little over a face cord piled and more if you bother to stack it. I hardly ever stack it.. I figure I need a drink and a rest sometime,

Nice looking pile !

Jeep Hauling Wood in.

I use my jeep to haul in the wood. I have a winch front and back just in case I get stuck. I also use the rear winch on the crane mounted on the trailer to lift the logs up onto the trailer. This was a big load and put a bit of strain on the Jeep hauling it out of the bush. Jeep has 10/15 31 Goodyear Wrangler MT tires with a 3 inch lift kit for those into Jeeps. These pictures were taken last fall.

I use my jeep to haul in the wood. I have a winch front and back just in case I get stuck. I also use the rear winch on the crane mounted on the trailer to lift the logs up onto the trailer. This was a big load and put a bit of strain on the Jeep hauling it out of the bush. Jeep has 10/15 31 Goodyear Wrangler MT tires with a 3 inch lift kit for those into Jeeps. These pictures were taken last fall.

Nice, thats haulin wood my style. I use either my 93 Grand Cherokee, or a beater xj, all stock, farm vehicle only. I would love to see more pics of the winch, lift arrangment. Sounds interesting. Nice ride!:hmm3grin2orange:

Close up view of Winch & Crane

This is the best picture I have showing the crane and the winch. I have a 50' lead on the winch control so I can get out into the bush to hook up the logs without walking back and forth. That way I can unsnag the log as well. I just use a 1/4" choker chain on the log and a 5/16" winch cable. The crane is adjust able both in height and boom length depending on the load I am lifting. Th first few logs come in over the back and then once the trailer has sone weight in it I can lift from the side as well. I have posted a large version of this picture so you can see detail. There is a winch roller fairlead just below the winch base to help guide the cable.

Outfit

Very nice way to haul wood Graystone! That one log looks like it would have been difficult to get in there but you did it.:rockn:

Last edited:
a few feet yea

Thats a nice rig ,can you back it up?

I can put the splitter where I want it.. But the tractor and trailer might not be anywhere close.. You have to move the back end of the trailer to put the splitter to where you want it..
It is easier to just make a large loop. Or unhitch the splutter and turn the tractor around and rehitch.
with such a rig you preplan well in advance,
It usre is fast for splitting and loading the trailer..

Not a Ford

Nice picture. Those old Fords never die, do they?

That is a 350 Long. Belongs to my dad.. it is blue but he says it is gold.. He bought it used ran it for about a year,cutting and baling hay., Then it dropped a cylinder. So he hired a guy to rebuild it.. thinking just new sleeves and pistons.. by the time he was done it had new injectors, new injector pump and 3500 in parts.. So it is the joke.. tractor is not worth much over 3500. But it is handy. Pretty light though as it does not have any fluid in the tires. We also have a 310 Long in a 4x4 that little tractor has way more loader than it needs. You have to be very careful and not tip it up onto its nose, or worse over the side.tractor is so short if you have much weight on the front end and turn very sharp it is coming up.. You learn how to drop a load very quick.

That is a 350 Long. Belongs to my dad.. it is blue but he says it is gold.. He bought it used ran it for about a year,cutting and baling hay., Then it dropped a cylinder. So he hired a guy to rebuild it.. thinking just new sleeves and pistons.. by the time he was done it had new injectors, new injector pump and 3500 in parts.. So it is the joke.. tractor is not worth much over 3500. But it is handy. Pretty light though as it does not have any fluid in the tires. We also have a 310 Long in a 4x4 that little tractor has way more loader than it needs. You have to be very careful and not tip it up onto its nose, or worse over the side.tractor is so short if you have much weight on the front end and turn very sharp it is coming up.. You learn how to drop a load very quick.

My mistake. It kind of looked like a Ford at first glance. I wasn't familiar with Long so I checked out my tractor site:

http://www.tractordata.com/td/long.html

I don't think I've ever seen one around here. I've got a 1961 Ford 801. My uncle bought it new and I ended up with it when he passed away in the early 80's. It looks like hell but is mechanically sound...and paid for.:biggrinbounce2:

My Wood hauler

This is my wood hauler ,1942 Allis Chalmers C with old trailer . TEDMI
000_0647.jpg

another Jeep

here are a few pics of 2 of my trailers with wood loaded. The big trailer shown filled with pine is a homemade by someone 12 footer, mobile home axle. Its able to haul more than I care to pull with my Jeep. Its too wide for the woods. I can get it up my logging road, but its a pita. It only cost me $100. The 2nd trailer pictured has a small load of cherry to mill in it. I had to load that by hand as I couldn't drive across the saturated lawn without digging it up. Luckily the tree was only 50 feet from the driveway. The Jeep if anyone cares is a 93 Grand Cherokee, 318 multiport, custom by me dual outlet flowmaster muffler, 2 inch budget boost, 30 x 9.5 yokohamas mounted on Jeep Wrangle takeoffs, 04 I think. It gets the job done every time! Next it needs a winch or 2.

DSCF0573.JPG

DSCF0574.JPG

DSCF0572.JPG

DSCF0575.JPG

DSCF0577.JPG

Nice setup Stonykill ,

My tractor has a summer job to , it likes the tractor pulls . TEDMI
IMG_0068.jpg

Latest posts

Back