Hauling Wood As You Get Older...What Changes Have You Made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent thread. I am 38 years old and have been cutting /splitting wood since I was a very young kid helping my dad. I have seen a few people mention picaroons/hookaroons, I have to say to those who dont have one, GET ONE. An extremely handy tool. When I was growing up my dad had one and he always referred to it as his peckerdoodler, I didnt know what it was really called till a while back when I wanted to get one for myself and looked around on computer for picaroons, you wont find them if you type in peckerdoodler, I found a manufacturer right here in my home state of Minnesota at a sight called pickaroon.com. I ordered 2 of them a 48" handeled one and a 36" one. I would strongly recommend any one who works with wood to get themselves a 48" "peckerdoodler" you will wonder how you got along without one. No I dont work for the company, I am just a guy who really enjoys his peckerdoodler. Any way I cut-split-burn 8-10 cords a year and enjoy the work. My dad (74yrs old) burns 12-14 cords a year and enjoys cutting but doesnt split hardly any, just noodles. My grandpa (passed on) cut and split up till he was in his mid 80s. I hope I will be able to cut as long as they have. I am already slowing down alittle, enjoying a few more breaks, watchin the squirrells/birds. This is making me want to go out and cut something, dang it, its dark outside.

I'll be 34 on the 22nd. I have been splitting wood longer than I can remember <used to help dad in my younger years>. As I grew up I thought I was bullet proof. Well I have learned I am not. My body has been to hell and back, but you cant keep a good man down.
I have learned not to try and muscle the nutbusters by myself, its not that hard to swallow your pride and ask for a hand lifting it.
Just because there is a huge round worth 20 splits sitting there doesnt mean you have to take it, grab the smaller stuff < less labor intensive>
Cant hook is a MUST
Water, Water, Water during your breaks. Oh yeah a cold pop or beer tastes great, save that for when you are done.
I usually work 45 minutes and take a 15 minute breather, stretch out the old muscles while Im on break
Stretch before you start splitting or cutting, sure beats a cramp or stitch in the middle
If you have the machinery <bobcat, tractor, whatever> use it, thats why you have it.

Our bodies can only take so much abuse, and you are only as good as your body allows you to be....Be safe out there

Jeff

you know the ramps for a pickup,,to load a atv or the like? well, i used two treated 2x8's..6 foot long,,and had a guy bend 2, 1/4" thick pieces of metal 8" wide x 12 in long,,with a ??23?? degree bend in them, at the middle..they are bolted to the 2x8..youd be surprised how big a rounds you can roll up onto the truck!!! set them 2X8's about 10 inches apart... just enough to step thru on the way to log roll to top..

Yes and no. I use a set of conveyor rollers, or "skate track" about the same length to either push up the smaller ones, or in combination with a come-along to winch up the monsters. I caution you about standing between the timbers you're using because you've a possibility of becoming trapped when you slip suddenly, and the monster rolls back on you. But generally I've been using the egyptian techniques like you for...shall we just say...over half a century now. I move stuff for a living...hauling...at least I used to anyway...and larger items are the staple 'cause I don't have to fight over the pick-up load stuff that any craigslist hack will do (present company excepted). Anyway; Safes, balers, commercial refers, etc..This year I moved some sizeable boulders into a guys backyard for a fountain that nobody else would quote him. 600 pounders and a few smaller ones that had to go uphill driveway, across a walkway, alongside a house (narrow), and across a lawn. Needless to say, no power equipment fit. Then, had to stack some on top of the other. I'm no muscleman, and barely weigh in at 140 after gaining 15 lbs in the past few years. My advice, as has been that of others is to plan, scheme, and let equipment and leverage work for you.

I like the low trailer thing as previously mentioned, however lower trailers generally don't carry as much weight as deck-over wheels trailers. That said, I have always wanted one of those trailers like they use to haul scissor lifts that drop and raise the whole deck. I used to rent a small one for some safe moving jobs, and I saw a company that makes them longer. Really cool trailer.

I'm often removing cut wood or stumps from peoples back yards after they get their fill of wood cutting. They get the smaller stuff done, and then the scope of the work overcomes their ability or equipment, and I step in. For the money involved, you cannot be hauling out power equipment for one tree stump, so you've got to make your hand tools work. The hot days will hurt you as mentioned here before. It's over 100 here in the summer all the time. I'm always dousing my head with water to increase evaporation.

v7w4rr.jpg
this saves my back

This is magnificent! If I had this I'd probably gain another 30 pounds in less than a year, and would have a small chimnea mounted next to the seat:tongue2:
And....is that a nice boat I see partially sticking out in the back? With both of those, I'd be in heaven already, and dying would be a mere formality

And after a couple of hours you can't find any places on your shirt dry or clean enough to wipe them off with! Every couple of minutes you gotta put down your tools, take off your gloves and wipe the sweat off your glasses - it gets really old.

At age 68 I sweat like a stuck hog. The best thing I've found to keep the sweat out of my face is a large cowboy (pure silk) bandana. I usually cut wood alone, so who cares how it looks.
Only thing I've changed in 40 years of firewooding is exchanging the sledge hammer and maul for a hydraulic splitter, and the days shortened to 2-4 hours. Considering a busted sternum, lung, a few heart attacks, 3 hernia patches, and a broken leg, I still love cutting wood.

I like to go at a relatively slow pace, and I'm usually alone. I have about 7 cords of wood in my back yard. My wife and kids say, "Dad, we don't need anymore wood!!" I keep cutting though, because it keeps me healthy and in shape!!

Take care and keep cutting![/QUOTE]

They wouldnt say that,if you ran out of wood,,and started to get cold!!!!!

With the cost of my saws, tractor and splitter, my wife says we could have spent the rest of our winters together in Hawaii.
not necessarily.. ng,propane,,and fuel oil,,just keep climbing!!!! and you already own the tools necessary to go get the wood....

She's Wrong

With the cost of my saws, tractor and splitter, my wife says we could have spent the rest of our winters together in Hawaii.

not necessarily.. ng,propane,,and fuel oil,,just keep climbing!!!! and you already own the tools necessary to go get the wood....

Your wife needs to do the math on that. Forget a move to Hawaii or a season-long vacation unless you have over 100 grand a year salted away for it that you don't need.

Only thing I've changed in 40 years of firewooding is exchanging the sledge hammer and maul for a hydraulic splitter, and the days shortened to 2-4 hours. Considering a busted sternum, lung, a few heart attacks, 3 hernia patches, and a broken leg, I still love cutting wood.
Well, maybe after 40 years I'll put down the hand tools too, but I love swinging and axe. It's great exercise. I hope you didn't accumulate that list of issues from wood heating, or I may have to consider other options! I give you a lot of credit that you're still at it and haven't let that stop you.

I'm 41 and in the best shape of my life, but the best tool I've tried to make getting wood out of the woods and on the stack is a high school football player. Talk to your youth pastor. There are young men out there that need your time more than you need their help.

One tip it to tell them that you're not sure if they are $8 or $10 per hour help. It's amazing how they will bust their humps for 4 hours for another $8.

Well, maybe after 40 years I'll put down the hand tools too, but I love swinging and axe. It's great exercise. I hope you didn't accumulate that list of issues from wood heating, or I may have to consider other options! I give you a lot of credit that you're still at it and haven't let that stop you.

Actually; my work habits have been A-1. But in my prime (mid 40's) I couldn't turn around for having accidents of sorts. The heart has been a crop out from an arithmea issue. I ain't supposed to be here these last 11 years.:D

I consider myself a pretty good welder/fabricator and have built my own splitter and my own wood trailer.
I always thought a splitter station built on a trailer would be cool. I would rather do all of my firewood work in the mountains.
Its cooler and prettier. You could save another step in the handling process with this. You could come home with a load of split firewood ready for stacking.
I would really like to build one someday.

Hi,I mounted splitter across the A frame of my 2.5 cub metre trailer,built it myself,21 inch stroke,6 sec cycle time.log lift off pulley on outward stroke of ram.whole thing is on a slide,closed is same width as trailer,slides out to work it.catching tray for splits,no bending down.Handling wood at chest height is comfortable.:chainsawguy:I had 2 hips replaced,am 54,been sawing most of my life but need to work smarter not harder.this way only bend to saw wood,the log lift also adjusts to load rounds direct into trailer bin .Cut,split,loaded at the stump,use log hook to empty when home or delivering.THIS WORKS FOR ME,just my 2 cents:cheers:

Gee Shari your starting to look like a firewood factory.
I'm just a whipper snapper at 61, over 80% of the bone in this body have been broken (60% at one crack,That was fun) but they put me back together pretty well. I process some 10-12 cord a year, I do not sell, just like to be warm in winter, so I am a couple years ahead. I have slowed down speed wise, but not quantity. I have tools to deal with the massive stuff, skid steer , fork lift,powered lift for back of truck, Moto barrow( powered wheelbarrow) ( somehow the good stuff is always down hill behind whatever, 50yards from the closest access point with the bigger equipment and even if you could get it down there you"d need something bigger to get it out.) Just recently I transgressed bought a used Englander pellet stove - for the basement,( jeeze I can hear the smirks already) but I am going to make my own pellets to make use of all the splitter leavings and whatever. This is a project that perhaps might prove out,or not time will tell. Processing the wood keeps me in decent shape as long as I do not push it. Don"t swing a maul much anymore,tough on the back. Like Shari I try to arrange stuff to reduce lifting, actually the bending over part is good for me as it stretches out all the parts that tighten up if I am not active.

I suffered a triple whammy as not only am I getting older but we doubled our wood usage and both of my sons grew up and have their own lives. It didnt take long to figgure out I needed help with forewood production or a means to pay a larger gas bill. I can still run a saw all day long and enjoy it and truthfully swinging a maul or ax I can deal with by pacing my work but picking up wood from the ground is no longer fun no matter how I do it. I have "fixed" that problem by building a processor and by adopting a technique that I had previously not thought much of, that is leaving the smaller branch wood in long lengths to process later with the buzz saw. Now when I cut a tree for fire wood a very small portion is cut firewood length with the chainsaw, just that which is too small for the processor and too large to lift when left long, I have managed to stay two years ahead, dry wood is important, no way I could ever keep up tossing green wood in the OWB.

Was told by my grandfather, you only go so many bends in your knees, back elbows, etc...He used to keep his marking hatchet on his belt, and had wedges in a pouch, and a tapemeasure, he never sat anything on the ground. He tried his best to teach me but of course being young know it alls we didn't . Know i look back and wish i had continued that thrpughout my teensa nd twenty and my arly 30-s

When I lived in Virginia, back in the '90s I cut and split firewood with a $99.00 HomeLite and a maul. I was younger then, too. Started cutting and burning again last year. I'm 54 and already have made some changes in how it's done. :D

No more cheap, Harry Homeowner saws. Those things will work and worry you to death. A $550.00 saw is well worth the investment, trust me on this one.

Got an orphaned garden tractor and fixed it up for work in the woodlot. Ag tires, wheel weights and no mower deck. Started with the JD lawn tractor last year, it wasn't fit for the muddy conditions out there. Got a larger dump trailer on order, the first one was too small and required more trips in and out.

Never considered noodling large rounds until I started reading the comments here at AS. That sure saved my back many a strain. Was rolling 'em onto the dump cart with a makeshift ramp. If they'd roll at all, that was. Big rounds near the stump can be lumpy and egg-shaped. What a PITA that was.

I quit cutting up smaller branches in the woods and gathering 'em up. That's a lot of bending and stooping. Now I pile that stuff, chain it and drag it to the yard near the wood stacks where it's easier to cut up and it's all in one place. The brush is broken up for kindling.

I've learned to clear the bed or fall area before felling trees. It's easy to drop a tree ~ not so easy to get to it with the tractor when the area is overgrown with crap, there's widowmakers and springpoles in the road.

And I pace myself. Buck a little bit, sit on the trunk and rest a little bit. Load rounds in the cart, take a break on the tractor seat. There's no rush, ain't like it's on a timeline or nothin'.

For folks our age, safe lifting techniques are a must. Lift with your legs, not with your back. If it feels too heavy to lift, it is too heavy to lift. Get help or noodle it into manageable pieces.

And don't even mention axes or mauls... this old dog ain't going there. Hydro splitters are available for a reason. :)

Well, my axes keep me fit. The 8lb maul, not so much - it doesn't hurt me to swing it some, but it's a little heavier than I can swing for an extended time. I can feel my energy dropping with every hit, and often muscle damage results when I don't quit in time. I have to pace myself with it. And lifting big rounds is the worst danger to my back.

The key is that working the muscles to a point is great, but pushing them past that point is causing damage. I will not exercise for exercise sake, I get my workout doing work. The problem is that unlike a controlled workout in some sterile exercise environment, this is real work and there aren't any inherent limits - some of it is beyond the injury point. You have to be able to judge what those limits are for you, but then the work still needs to be done so you must find another method that won't injure you. To me, I'm in this partially to reduce energy use, so throwing equipment at it is not the answer I'm looking for - I will noodle some of the nasty pieces in order to get stackable wood, but that big pile of noodles represents wasted wood and wasted fossil fuels.

I'm wondering what they did with the crotches and stuff in the old days before chainsaws and splitters - I'm betting they didn't "noodle" them with a misery whip. I suspect they left them lay, which is one of the things I do with them now too. It's just not worth it to spend so much time an energy on a cranky round that won't split.

Nasty crotches and such, if the 30 tonner don't split it it just plain gets sheared in two, beauty of a long thin sharp wedge with a spreader behind it. ( provided your beam is of sufficient strength to withstand the forces.)

Latest posts

Back