Have you seen one of these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone seen one of these or used one. It is used to hang your chainsaw from your saddle on your back. Guess it is European as this guy is french. saw it in a few video clips and it looks like it works real well. Input on use or where to get one would be helpful. Thanks

So when you climb, you bar cuts nice notch on the back of your leg. I rather have my saw hanging few feet.

Get the big Petzl caritool. http://wesspur.com/carabiners/accessory-carabiners.html

Works excellent and you don't have to lower/pull your chainsaw up everytime you want to use it. Yes it is made of plastic, but I havn't broken one yet (but then I havn't been using it for life support either) I keep it on my righthand side, not on my back.

And I don't climb with shorts, so I'm not bothered with scratches on my leg from the chainsaw bar.

It's called a ladder hook and most major suppliers carry them. In that picture it is just fixed to the back of the saddle. Buddy of mine used one unfixed and worked pretty well but his was made of steel and I couldn't see it worth the weight.
Point of it being at the mid point on the saddle is just it is more ergonomical for your back. Saw fixed to one side or the other creates strain even if just minor and you don't notice or feel it. Also some don't like there saddle being pulled down or unevenly weighted. I use a #3 brass snap in a similar location and have never had a problem with it and on the treemotion it is low enough on the saddle that even if hit in the back it won't hit your spine and helps being its' size.

You can still hang the saw at your feet so your legs will not get cut up. Just run a rope to it from the hook. The hook being in the center of your back makes it a lot easier to climb. It does not throw off your center of gravity as much.

Nice looking product but it looks like trying to hook and unhook a saw in the middle of your back would be very difficult. I use a Caritool on my hip with a cable tie to hold it open. Strong enough for the saw but not so strong that if the open hook were to get caught on falling limb that it wouldn't break away. I've seen some nice 3/8" steel open hooks on saddles that could easily catch a falling limb.

Lol, going to be the odd one out here again. I use rear handle saws in the tree and use a swivel and a ladder snap on the right side (not the snap style shown there) to hook into the rear handle.
I just like it, and easier for me to snap in the saw with big hands and gloves. Left hand on the wrap handle, right unhooks and slides to the trigger.

I know OD uses a ladder snap as well (not like the one pictured). He sent me a pic of it onetime and it was a slick looking setup. I used a small caritool for awhile but I just could never put my mind at ease hanging my saw off a piece of plastic. I bought a small, pear shaped, aluminum, non-locking biner and that is what I hang my saw on now. Never have been comfortable when my saw is not on my hip.

EDIT:

Here's the one I use: http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Accessory-Non-locking-/Accessory-Carabiner-49

Last edited:
I have used this type hook I attach my leash to my saddle like normal and hang the ring on the saw loop on the hook. it seemes to work pretty well and if you don't like it your only out 2 bucks.

Here is one of the links I saw it used on. have to find the other vid where the guy was using it with a top handle. At about 33 seconds in you can get a good look and it and it doesn't look like a standard ladder hook, maybe modified but I think it was manufactured for this purpose. Currently I use a lanyard attached at center back for max equal reach left or right with a caritool on both hips. I find anything bigger than a 346xp on the hip cumbersome and it pulls my saddle down. I would prefer to put the 262xp or 460 on center back and it doesn't pull my saddle down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaGyx2AYlrw&feature=related

Before Petzl came out with the caritool, black diamond had Ice clippers, I stitched my first on to my harness in 2002 I think, It freaking rocked! When the ice clipper was no longer available I mourned, but the carrytool showed up and it was all good and I never looked back.

The centre back clip positioning is interesting but a petzl caritool would still be my preferance just a little back from my right hip point for easy reach without straining backwards, with the ms200 its a snap to clip and unclip, I no longer use a lanyard. By clipping into the handlebar its even able to carry an 88 (but its a PITA to do so) a 346 just sits there so nice.

Here is one of the links I saw it used on. have to find the other vid where the guy was using it with a top handle. At about 33 seconds in you can get a good look and it and it doesn't look like a standard ladder hook, maybe modified but I think it was manufactured for this purpose. Currently I use a lanyard attached at center back for max equal reach left or right with a caritool on both hips. I find anything bigger than a 346xp on the hip cumbersome and it pulls my saddle down. I would prefer to put the 262xp or 460 on center back and it doesn't pull my saddle down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaGyx2AYlrw&feature=related

I like that video, they are all like giving each other happy thumbs up and devil horns! I can here them "jeah, vee doing dis tree removal, jeah"

I'm a big fan of the large caritool as well. Place it on my right hip where it is easy to access the saw.

Even with an 046 hanging off it, it hasn't broken. Even if it did, the other end of the lanyard is attached to a different snap on my saddle.

The only drawback is if you are snaking your way through branches, it can get hung up. (only has happened a couple of times).

I've bought some for a couple of guys that have done some climbing for me (as a bonus gift). They love them as well.

I wouldn't worry about the caritool breaking even though it is plastic. Hell I'll hang but 660 on a piece of throwline which is how my brass snap is connected to my saddle and never think twice about it. More so the problem I had with those caritools is the actual gate breaking. Never had the plastic break but every one I owned I had the gate snap right out and be lost while in the tree being it don't take much force to pop them out.

Back