Have you seen what the postal service did to prices yesterday? Oh my!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could actually deliver the saw myself to some locations for what the postage chart says. I don't think I could drive to California for $63 but I doubt anybody buying a chainsaw would want to pay that much for shipping to that location either. I'm kinda in a quandry right now figuring out how to ship saws if indeed in continue to. I have about 15 saws left to sell of different kinds and after I get rid of them I may just keep a couple around for myself.

arguing over how inept they are is pointless. Bottom line is that shipping just got more expensive and for some of us shipping charges are going to need adjusted and buying online may have just taken a jump in price. i just spent the morning packing boxes and printing labels. i charge $6 shipping for small/light items and it used to cost $5.25 for a small flat rate. It now costs $6.10 but on larger/heavier items like bars it is hard to swallow the price increase and just eat it. I shipped 1 bar this morning that i charged $10 for and actual cost was $19. $19 for 1 20" bar to Ohio to Oregon!!!! I was tempted to check fedex prices but usps is integrated into my store and printing shipping labels is a 30 second job...shipping fedex would require me to manually enter all the info, i decided it just wasnt worth it.
It's hard to "adjust" your shipping up to $63 because nobody will want to buy your saw with that and ebay fees tacked on. Remember, they charge fees for postage also, I think that fee is 10%.
Oh well. if I decide that selling saws and mailing them is not worth it I'm gonna be stuck with about 20 fairly nice chainsaws! Maybe I'll give them away as Christmas presents!

It's hard to "adjust" your shipping up to $63 because nobody will want to buy your saw with that and ebay fees tacked on. Remember, they charge fees for postage also, I think that fee is 10%.
Oh well. if I decide that selling saws and mailing them is not worth it I'm gonna be stuck with about 20 fairly nice chainsaws! Maybe I'll give them away as Christmas presents!
Get an account with FedEx or UPS. Buy your postage online with them. Should be about half that price. Plus be sure when shipping FedEx to play with the numbers, I've found some shipments that I saved $10 by increasing the insurance by $100. No clue how they figure rates because that is backwards to me but I didn't argue

OK, I did it, I went to the garage and got a couple of saws, on a 029 and the other a Homelite EZ and boxed them up, weighed them, and checked what it would cost to mail either of them. The box I used for the EZ was a little too big for it but I didn't have any smaller ones at the time, the one I put the Stihl in was an Echo 590 box. I checked what it would cost to mail them to various points in the US but not the adjoining states like ILL or OH because I figured they'd be cheaper. The increase is substantial but there are some places where they offer ground shipping which normally is the cheapest. I can't see any way to ship to the west coast via USPS. I may do a check later on UPS but prefer to not use them since we don't have UPS in our town.

I was told on the ebay message board to just use the shipping calculator and it will figure up the postage for you. That thing is notorious for undercharging for the shipping so I think I'll slightly overestimate the size and weight of the package to make up for it. It might also be a great time for ebay to stop their unethical shipping fee of 10% since they have nothing to do with shipping.

I've shipped 4 or 5 package USPS since this thread was started. I'm still getting a discount using click n Ship. Have not compared directly, but prices seem about the same, or slightly higher. Not shipping saws.

Yeah, I compared prices a few days ago of the shipping prices of today compared to some I actually shipped to and in some places it was considerably higher. I may try the shipping calculator sometime in the near future for a test and if it doesn't work out I may go to Craigslist and try selling locally. I know there will be less sales but no fees and I don't have many to sell anyway..

Yeah, I compared prices a few days ago of the shipping prices of today compared to some I actually shipped to and in some places it was considerably higher. I may try the shipping calculator sometime in the near future for a test and if it doesn't work out I may go to Craigslist and try selling locally. I know there will be less sales but no fees and I don't have many to sell anyway..
I rarely sell running saws other than in person.

I rarely sell running saws other than in person.
By the way, thanks for starting this thread, it will help some members who ship saws all over the country, like myself. I just looked at ebay's message board on shipping and their sellers are frantic about the shipping prices plus remember ebay takes 10% of the increased shipping charges also so it's not an easy thing to deal with. I usually sell several saws this time of year but I haven't even posted one for sale since the first of January which I sold but haven't tried since..

Latest posts

Back