Have you seen what the postal service did to prices yesterday? Oh my!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the postal employees I've met have been good, hard working people. The problem with the Post Office isn't generally their employees but Congress who don't know how to run anything. Everything they get involved in, like healthcare turns out to be a disaster. Congressional members should work at a business before trying to run it just to see how it's supposed to work.

Ours has gotten better after they had a bonfire lit under their asses by the postal inspectors. Took about 7 years of complaints for them to do anything though. Used to have lines 30-45 mins long and the clerks working in bull low gear.

I paid $16 something a few days ago. Different cost for different areas?

I think it should be the same prices. Ebay gives some discounts to some people. Also, you can go online and ship direct at the USPS site and get an "online rate" which is less than you pay at the window.

Dunno, it was $6.10. Paid online through PayPal's shipping program.

Used to be 5.50 or 5.75 I believe, but memory is fuzzy.

Could be they have a discount, I dunno. I don't go to the post office other than to drop off packages on the side counter. Easier to print the postage cs waiting in line.

commercial customers shipping thru paypal, stamps.com or any of the other similar sites still get a discount. small flat rate box is $6.85 but commercial customers are paying $6.10 vs $5.25 last week. The online discount for standard customers click/ship at usps.com is gone.

I agree with what has been said thus far. I know of no companies that would survive for long if they had to fund every retirement fully. When I worked in the corporate world they took money out of my check every week to help fund my retirement and my health insurance, not sure how they do it in the Post Office. Thanks to the company investing that money basically when I retired I got my own invested money given back to me. I doubt if the government is that smart with money so they expect taxpayers to make up the shortfall. My solution right now is to not sell any saws for awhile other than locally until I get something else figured out or if something changes..

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly...except I would change the highlighted phrase from "smart with money" to "HONEST with money"...

well finally found my limit today....packing orders and USPS rate was $29 with the discount it came to $27 and change....not paying to $27 to ship 2 bars.....fedex....$21 and it will be there 3 days sooner at least. I think the post office is off its rocker

I shipped a saw out yesterday and it was $21.23 for 20lbs, 13x17x20 box, +$4.60 insurance, from Ks to NC with retail ground USPS. That's with my Ebay discount. I think it would have been about the same at my UPS drop store.

For some strange reason it costs more to ship to California and New York. There are other places in the US that's just as far from here that doesn't cost as much. I guess everything is costlier in those two places. I haven't shipped anything since the increase. I'm still thinking about boxing up a chainsaw and weighing it to check the postage before I start selling again..

I shipped a saw out yesterday and it was $21.23 for 20lbs, 13x17x20 box, +$4.60 insurance, from Ks to NC with retail ground USPS. That's with my Ebay discount. I think it would have been about the same at my UPS drop store.
I could live with a $25 shipping charge on most of my sales but I don't think I could sell many saws that had a $63 shipping charge, which looks like it is to some places.

Any of the east coast and west coast cities are bad for me, which is where most of my stuff goes. I use 90210 when I'm checking my calculated shipping charges.

I guess I'm pretty well used to shipping to/from here cause shipping of $30 for 2 bars would be a great deal.

The last few bars I shipped were around $20-25 each Parcel Post. Saws run around $45-60 Parcel Post.

Been working quotes to ship 2 350lbs dump truck hoists up, I could drive to WA and back for cheaper. So far cheapest has been just under $1000.

Back