Haven't been in the Milling section in a while, been too busy to mill...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdad07

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
and have been doing a rebuild on my 044. How is everyone faring this winter? Anyone gotten into some nice wood?

got a nice walnut blown down in a storm,40'+ to the first limb.
I really like some of the mills the guys here made and I'm debating on whether to take them to a local mill I always use or do it myself.CSM wastes more wood though, it will take me a while to get one together or buy one and I don't even know how to start. Downside to a local mill is sometimes it takes months.

It's too hot to mill here and early on the cooler mornings I've been working for a few hours each day on the retaining walls and concrete pad of my new home shop.
attachment.php

The new shop is 20 x 13' and is built right next to my existing 17 x 11' shop. Once my new shop is built I will transfer everything from the old one to the new one and then rebuild the old one to blend with in the new one - ie connect the two with a wide opening.

The limestone block retaining wall consists of 32 - 20" x 10" x 14", and 32, 20" x 8" x 14" blocks. This all then has to be filled in with 300 cuft of sand. The shop sits on top of the sand pad to make it level with my existing shop floor.

The bigger blocks weigh 160 lbs and the smaller ones weigh 135 lb. I can lift them OK but I use a hand cart to get them close and then roll the big ones into place. The smaller ones I can lift.

I see it as good weight lifting training for working the new mill!

Everything has to be carried 50 yards into my back yard by wheelbarrow or hand cart. So far have put down 36 blocks.

Adventures so far include removal of a vicious Bouganvillia that nearly took my right eye out and getting rid of a wasp nest.

Last edited:
This is how I do it Bob. Mix right in the bucket for a smooth uniform mix and just the right amount before it starts to set.
2819299920105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2241602240105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Haven't been doing much here either except chipping ice and shovleing snow. Did get up to the shop last few days. Didn't feel like doing much after digging out the front door. Just lit up some lanterns and had a few frosty ones.
2410893410105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2980940580105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2829389930105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] At least those Colemans can warm the place up.

You can mill at night with these things strung about the site. I plan on it. These three here were made 1953 and like new. Just look on the bottom. Month/year are stamped.
2598809060105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]. After the glaciers recede in the Spring check yard sales and such. Pick them up cheap that way.

Last edited:
The area of the shop in the images is 28' x 25'. Getting ready this Spring to open up to the carriage barn. Overall when I'm done shop size will be 60' x 28' Forgot to add. Those lanterns give off heat. Helps to dry damp wood.
2548342000105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
That's going to be a nice building Bob. You milling lumber for it or are you doing metal?

I was advised to rip the lawn out so that took up most of Saturday morning, Then with the help of my nephew we moved the 300 cuft of sand. Now the sand has to be leveled compacted and refilled.

That's going to be a nice building Bob. You milling lumber for it or are you doing metal?

I'm building above the edge of a 350 ft long termite nest that runs between two blocks of houses so I'm going for Galv steel frame and colorbond cladding. We've had multiple termite attacks on our house in the 30 years we have been here so this has made me really nervous.

Last edited:
I would think that every method know to man has probably been attempted to thwart those destructive insects and chemicals only worsen the problem. Anyone down under ever try a steam injection into the ground then into their tunnels via tubes? Kill on contact, cool, then settle into the aquafier if not evaporate. On second thought...that just might stir and surface other critters like those formidable funnel webs. Thinking....

Last edited:
I would think that every method know to man has probably been attempted to thwart those destructive insects and chemicals only worsen the problem. Anyone down under ever try a steam injection into the ground then into their tunnels via tubes? Kill on contact, cool, then settle into the aquafier if not evaporate. On second thought...that just might stir and surface other critters like those formidable funnel webs. Thinking....

It's the sheer size of the nest that stops this from happening . City block consists of ~180 homes and it is impossible to get everyone to agree to attack the blighters at the same time. Some home owners refuse to have any poison used on their property but this has meant others have used WAAAY too much old school poison to the point where the whole block is contaminated with poison. Can't run chickens in a back yard unless they're on 6" of concrete, Vegetables should be grown on raised beds etc.

BTW - did I tell you we also have ~5 layers of leaded-paint inside and outside our house?

Latest posts

Back