Having fun with 070 and Logosol mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave k

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A fellow member, Little Monkey and myself have been lucky enough to be allowed to mill a load of timber at the rear of a property nearby so when I get a couple of hours spare I go up and continue the learning curve of CS milling !
This was todays efforts and I have to say that I find it very relaxing. The timber is Macracarpa and has been felled for about 3 years.

As an aside I don't understand the dates on the first 2 posts of this thread. They show up on the thread listing as being posted today
BUT
are dated 8/1 and 8/2 respectively?

Oh yeah - and thanks for posting - nice pics!

Yes it is in fact Monterey Cypress and are very very common here as they are very tolerant of salt air and get to be a good size ! The timber is very weather proof and I suspect not much used since the location of felled trees tend to be very restricted so are normaly section felled and the timber is also very heavy so even if straight felled is a problem to lift and move !
As you see we have quite a pile to play with so it's more about learning, but, as I find Im running out of table space for saws a set of shelves are in order as well as garden seating !

That's interesting that Monterey Cypress is common over there - it's one of the rarest wild trees in all of North America; there are only a few hundred trees in the wild in a couple groves on the coast of California (around Monterey, duh!). As you said, they are very tolerant of salty air and in fact are quite reliant on salty, coastal fog.

The wood looks a lot like Douglas Fir if the color in that one picture is accurate. I only have one question: Why weren't you using your 090?!? :chainsaw: Just kidding. 070s are almost as much fun.

Not sure I've heard anyone call chainsaw milling relaxing before - that's usually all I feel like doing after a day of it though!

Yes since I posted that Brad, the 090 has started milliing duty and while the 070 is fun the 090 is indeed great fun !!
As for the rarity of mac's on your side of the Atlantic, I would often have wished that was the case here when I was climbing full time ! they almost seem to fight you with all the dead needle pointed branches.
The colour varies a great deal from pale almost white through yellow and red and when fresh full of resien.
Here is a couple of pics of a good sized one, although not uncommon in size, on an estate where I was working the other day.

Macracarpa

Macracarpa is a very common farm tree around here for wind breaks and stock shelter , but is not native to Aus , some of the older guys around here reckon some of the shearing sheds have weather boards 90 or more years old and still going strong , there is a small plantation about 30ks from where I live about 10 acres . Cheers MM

Back