Hazard turned into dangerous

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use plastic wedges to prevent the tree or big branches from closing. Even when I have a tree over 30" I use them.

attachment.php

Are you kidding me!!! :msp_scared: I think you should reevaluate your parenting skills.

The third photo in post 20.........

I hope that's an optical illusion and that child isn't standing as close to that nearly downed tree as it appears. If he is, what the #*@* ! were you thinking when you let him approach that thing?????

Relax girls, don't get your panties all bunched up...

1) That tree has been there like that for near a month now.
2) I've had a cable on it and pulled/yanked in three different directions with my 4x4 pickup, it won't even wiggle.
3) That kid isn't standing as close as the picture makes it look, but obviously too close for those faint-of-heart.
4) We live on a 100-year-old farmstead, surrounded by woods littered with abandoned buildings and old machinery, a stone's throw from the river... and I'm gonna' be concerned because my kid walks by a tree?

I'm 53-years-old girls... Tristan was an "ooops!"... I've raised two other kids, they survived it... I don't get myself in a tizzy when Tristan cuts his finger.

I still think parenting classes are in order. I think social services would be very interested in that picture. Oh, I am sorry my panties are all bunched up.

I still think parenting classes are in order. I think social services would be very interested in that picture. Oh, I am sorry my panties are all bunched up.

no need to get carried away.

i agree the picture is decpetive, as explained. at first, i also thought it was a bit dangerous for that kid, but he gave an acceptable explanation of the photo.

let's not get into CPS stuff. those people can be real jerks even with great parents.

no need to get carried away.

i agree the picture is decpetive, as explained. at first, i also thought it was a bit dangerous for that kid, but he gave an acceptable explanation of the photo.

let's not get into CPS stuff. those people can be real jerks even with great parents.

I wouldn't do that. But a word to the wise for the dad he just posted that on the internet for all eternity and anytime someone googles hazard tree this thread is going to come up. Maybe one day his son will read this and ask questions like was, I really an "ooops" dad.

Wow, how times have changed...

When I was a kid no one had heard parenting classes, social services, or other such nonsense. Mom fed us breakfast in the morning and kicked us out of the house, we were expected to be home for supper. Growing up in rural small town America we spent the days unsupervised. We'd go down to the river fishin', swimming and messin' around. At 7 I built a raft and floated it downstream to the next town... dad just said, "don't do that again." I was carting a gun, hunting with dad long before I was 10... at 9 I was given my own gun and at 10 I was hunting by myself. Got my first mini-bike at 8, first motorcycle at 11... rode them without supervision in the fields and such. Up at the summer lake home I'd take the boat out fishing on the lake, by myself, at 8-years-old. We lived 10 miles from Clear Lake, we'd ride our bicycles the 10 miles and spend the day over there, I was 7 the first time I did that... mom and dad didn't even raise an eyebrow. We'd lay penny's on the railroad track when the train was coming, and then show mom and dad the flat, thin copper at supper... dad just thought it was a waste of money. And of course there was the fist fights... fighting one day, friends the next... nobody called the cops, and parents didn't get involved, it was thought to be part of the growing-up experience. Dad taught you how to defend yourself, with your fists, at an early age.

We learned about the world, we broke bones, received countless stitches, bruised eyes and split lips... a Tetanus inoculation was a yearly event. And yes, a few didn't survive into adulthood... one drowned swimming in the flooded gravel pit, one was killed when he fell out of a tree, another was put in a wheel chair when he wrecked his motorcycle. Those were called accidents... no one thought it bad parenting, or looked up the 800 number for social services.

It was a good time to be a kid.

I don't have a problem with my son knowing he's an "oooops", I was 50 when he was born... do you think he won't figure that out for himself one day?. He isn't loved any less for it, and he knows it. Only if he was insecure about himself would the "oooops" thing bother him... and he ain't insecure, that's for sure.

Last edited:
i grew up the same way, man. left early and hung around a gravel pit all day fishing, building rafts, climbing huge sand piles, building tree forts, etc etc.

if you got hurt, you tried your best to hide it from mom.

but, yea, times have changed. you can't even tap your misbehaving kid on the rear end any more in public.

Sorry ,but I am with WhiteSpider on this one. I grew up the way he did. America has become-sissified-bunch of video game playing girlie boys,cant get their hands dirty. Friend of mine and I were saying this the other day, how the younger generations were left behind thinking how SMART and POWERFUL this high tech stuff makes them, ha,they are only fooling themselves. Turn the power off for a month like Japan had to do. See how quickley the boys get seperated from the MEN.:msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup:

Well, since we're on the subject of growing up....

My dad was "old school", he knew the best way to learn certain things was the school-of-hard-knocks.

He taught me how to swim. For my first lesson he took me out in the boat to the middle of the lake (about a mile from shore) and tossed a flotation pillow out one side of the boat, and tossed me out the other side. When I finally made it to the pillow, he smiled down at me and said, "see, told ya', it ain't hard to learn to swim."

Dad also understood that the world worked on the internal combustion engine. When I was about 8/9-years-old he brought home an old horizontal shaft Briggs... no recoil start, one of those that you had to hook the rope in the pulley and wrap it... those that would sometimes fail to slip off the pulley and rip your fingers out of their sockets. He mounted it to a heavy plank and gave me a can of gas. I learned the hard way what parts got hot, and what parts would supply electric shock. After I'd played with it for about a week he told me to take it apart, completely apart, carburetor, everything, and put the parts in a box. (I broke the flywheel pulling it apart) Dad brought home a new flywheel and explained the proper way to pull it. Then he laid out all the parts, told me what they were, and explained there purpose. Then he told me to put it all back together and make it run... then he walked away, leaving me with a box of parts and an un-organized pile of bolts, nuts and washers. I wasn't allowed to leave the yard until it was running! It took me three days, but I finally got it back together and running... Probably one of the most valuable lessons he ever taught me. I learned more than just how an engine works, I learned about tools and their proper use, I learned about organization and it's importance... and most importantly, I learned to have confidence in myself, I learned that, "yes, I can."

DUDE uh their is a kid standing under that death trap proper procedure for removal first remove kid i repeat remove kid then proceed!

Yeah I have to agree that America is turning into a bunch of emo metrosexuals. Obviously you don't want to go doing dumb things on purpose, but come on. The person that said the comment about social services is probably the type to sue someone for getting fat eating at McDonald's or if they spill coffee on themselves. My wife's brothers have never even mowed the yard because they think their foot might slip under the deck and get lopped off, and they are both in their mid-twenties. I was mowing the yard as soon as I could reach my arms over my head to grab the handle. The inlaws also completely freaked out when they found out I own guns (never mind the fact I carried one for over a year in Iraq and have a carry permit). I'm not sure why some are on this forum... chainsaws, axes, and big pieces of wood are pretty dangerous in themselves, even following all the safety precautions. Find somewhere to live with no natural disasters and sit in a corner to be safe.

My apologies to Turnkey4099 for this thread hijack. I have to jump in here and say to all the folks who are concerned for the three year old standing next to that hanger, where are you on the thread here on the board of the ten year old running the chainsaw? Everyone thinks that is great. Standing next to a hung up tree is dangerous, but so is hovering over razor blades that spin at 60MPH. You can't get me wrong, I'm not ragging on anyone. It just caught my attention.

Harry, when you get your 'puter back online I look forward to more pics of your tree in its current state. Sounds like the hard part is done.

If it's black locust, I trust Harry will find a way to git-r-done. :msp_cool:

Yeah, he doesn't have a choice. Says he only has enough for another 8-10 years. So, in other words, if he's not eating or sleeping, he needs to be cutting on a Locust somewhere.

All kidding aside, I think its great to be that far ahead. Myself, I might be lucky to get almost 2 years ahead before I have to quit to go to the next thing that needs to be done.

Wow, how times have changed...

When I was a kid no one had heard parenting classes, social services, or other such nonsense. Mom fed us breakfast in the morning and kicked us out of the house, we were expected to be home for supper. Growing up in rural small town America we spent the days unsupervised. We'd go down to the river fishin', swimming and messin' around. At 7 I built a raft and floated it downstream to the next town... dad just said, "don't do that again." I was carting a gun, hunting with dad long before I was 10... at 9 I was given my own gun and at 10 I was hunting by myself. Got my first mini-bike at 8, first motorcycle at 11... rode them without supervision in the fields and such. Up at the summer lake home I'd take the boat out fishing on the lake, by myself, at 8-years-old. We lived 10 miles from Clear Lake, we'd ride our bicycles the 10 miles and spend the day over there, I was 7 the first time I did that... mom and dad didn't even raise an eyebrow. We'd lay penny's on the railroad track when the train was coming, and then show mom and dad the flat, thin copper at supper... dad just thought it was a waste of money. And of course there was the fist fights... fighting one day, friends the next... nobody called the cops, and parents didn't get involved, it was thought to be part of the growing-up experience. Dad taught you how to defend yourself, with your fists, at an early age.

We learned about the world, we broke bones, received countless stitches, bruised eyes and split lips... a Tetanus inoculation was a yearly event. And yes, a few didn't survive into adulthood... one drowned swimming in the flooded gravel pit, one was killed when he fell out of a tree, another was put in a wheel chair when he wrecked his motorcycle. Those were called accidents... no one thought it bad parenting, or looked up the 800 number for social services.

It was a good time to be a kid.

I don't have a problem with my son knowing he's an "oooops", I was 50 when he was born... do you think he won't figure that out for himself one day?. He isn't loved any less for it, and he knows it. Only if he was insecure about himself would the "oooops" thing bother him... and he ain't insecure, that's for sure.

Didn't even read any other post, I'm 23 and I'm with ya

Back