HD honored my chainsaw warranty, but it cost me $24.95

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up in Maryland, and remember the winters back east ..........the snowblower might be in the way now, but I am quite sure you'll be giving it a good workout next winter, and will so glad NOT to be shovelling the snow by hand.
I'm glad to hear your deal worked out well too and everybody in the chain made a few sheckles.

How long did it take that snow to melt tom?

When I ordered it the snow was still deep. It took two weeks for the machine to arrive. By then I was all dug out and had no need to even fire it up. Monday it was in the 90's here in Va so I guess that snowthrower won't see any action until next winter. I got it out in the shed and the SOB drives me crazy, I keep bumping into it, it takes up too much room. I keep thinking why did I buy this thing,LOL However I work at a condo complex on my day off. There are 280 condos in that place. Those poor people were out there shoveling their cars out after that last big snow. I figure they would probably pay 20.00 to have someone do it for them. That snowthrower may well pay for itself if I don't stub my toe on it first and shoot it with my shotgun,LOL

I have to contribute a little real world experience with those cheapo Homy's vs. status driven dribble...you can go and search as I've posted about an old Homelite Ranger...33cc of wheeze as compared to pro saws. BUT Like anything else, you treat it well by using it within its limits, that red plastic lump will out last you.

When you have moved onto another saw and the warranty isn't as important, things like mild muffler mods along with re-tuning the carb will wake those things up enough to notice. I did that to my Ranger 3-4 years ago...it got retired by a Husqvarna 440e when the other who use it got bored with its wheeze. It never had a problem of any kind and it always started...now it sits as there are more exciting options in the barn to work with. My bet is the rubber parts will eventually fail (Carb kit & Fuel Line) and will be its only mechanical requirement before I'm a worm farm...or someone will need one and I'll move it along.

My bet is stock tune (lean) and dull chains have killed more of those things than any real weakness. The damn thing doesn't make enough power to hurt itself..

Last edited:
Thats a pretty good deal. I guess HD is charging 24.95 to recoup future losses down the road. If those saws held up real good its a winner for HD but those saw aren't known to last very long.

HD has done something else that surprized me. Back in Feb we got 30 inches of snow here in Va. I always said I would never own a snowthrower but after all that shoveling my mind changed. I got online and looked around at the various brands and did alittle reading. Seems the Airens suppose to be one of the better brands of snowthrowers. I started checking prices and found they vary greatly depending on where you buy them from. While searching various web sites I got a e-mail ad from HD featuring Airens snowthrowers of all things right when I was in the mood for one.

I checked out several different models and decided on a 30incher with a 342cc motor and heated handles. I check several sites and the prices varied as much as 500.00-600.00 for the same model. I wrote down the model of the one I wanted and went back to the HD ad and low and behold there was the exact same model I had decided on. It was 1599.95, which was way lower than anyone else.

I hopped onto the HD webiste and brought up the snowthrowers and while looking at them a box appeared on my screen asking if I wanted to talk to a outdoor power equipmemt rep. I clicked yes. This person asks how can I help and blah blah blah. Then they go if you order today we will give you a promotion code that will save you 10%. I was like dayummmm so I took the offer and ordered the machine. Free delivery, now over 700.00 less than a few other sites I had priced with that 10% off promotion code they tossed in.

Two weeks the local Airens dealer calls me and says we have a snowthrower to be delievered to you. I go huh. They say didn't you order one from HD, I go yes, they go that order went to Airens, they contacted us to make the delivery and we will be your servicing dealer for that machine. I was like okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. So it worked out pretty good for everyone I guess. They showed up with the machine, gave me a demo, a card to call if I have any problems. So HD made a few pennies, Ariens made a few pennies, the local dealer made a few pennies and me, I made out like a bandit saving over 700.00 verses some others and having a servicing dealer about 30 minutes away. Best of all that Airens dealer is also a Stihl dealer so we will get along real good. The bad part is its warm in VA now and that snowthrower is in my way already, grrrrrrr..

Hate to break it to ya but I did the same thing you did.
I will tell ya their not the exact machines, if you look at the pro models.
compared to the middle of the road models at HD completely different grade of parts are being put into these machines.....NO JOKE.....
cheeper parts= cheeper price.....period....

compared to the middle of the road models at HD completely different grade of parts are being put into these machines.....NO JOKE.....

I see you missed where he compared the same model number.

Beats me, my thrower wasn't delivered from HD, it was delivered to me from a local Ariens dealer. Here's what I bought and when the snow was 30 inches deep this unit wasn't on sale like it is now. Notice the model numbers, they are the same, so I think its the same unit I paid $1440.00 for.

http://www.countryhomespower.com/details-for-Ariens-921018-ST30DLE-snow-blower/652

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...D28X-_-100671184&locStoreNum=4647&marketID=43

Tommy that POS HD Arien's will be shop rotted by next winter, you better call UPS and have it shipped to (my address) I'll give you $1000 for it shipping included, and throw in a few of your once used saw chains would ya, Ya cheap sob buying from HD wait till I tell Peter hans Stihl you've been shopping at the competition who stocks Husky.LOL:hmm3grin2orange:

You are technically correct, but your post is still a bit misleading. The fact is, Home Depot doesn't sell the pro models that are only available from the dealers. Pretty much the same thing as Lowes selling 455's but not 372's.

But a particular model number that is carried by both depot and a dealer is exactly the same. But in the case of the Ariens pro stuff vs the one Tommy bought, the differences are more about features than quality. Cast iron gear case, differential drive.

The stuff that really falls into the junk category are the "sno-tek" cheapies that Ariens made to compete with the cheap MTD stuff. Dealers can buy them also, but I passed on that crap.

Tommy: You should have sent me a Franklin for gas and I'd have had one down to you before the snow melted. :givebeer: The wacked out prices you found were likely the result of greedy dealers gouging. There ain't much lower than you can go than gouging people during an emergency. At that point, it's not about business it's about people needing help.

$20 for those condo driveways? How about this: The mountains near me got 4 to 5 FEET of snow. By the time the town opened up the roads, the mound of snow in front of peoples' driveways was more like 10 feet. Couple of screwball excavators went around and "offered" to open up driveways for $500. Some people payed it. Some plan on doing a little midnight tuneup work on those machines. Those guys deserve it too.

Back