he traded up to a Wild Thing!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E&R_firewood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i've got an inlaw, who is sort of a know it all (i call him the know-nothin') . . .decided he is going to dust off his wood stove and use it for something other than a potted plant stand this winter . . .so he is going to cut his own firewood . . . he had a jonsereds 621 that was his dad's sitting in the garage, has been sitting for who knows how long with sitcky old mix in it . . . after he tore it apart and couldn't get it to run, he asked me if i would "fix it, make it run" i put him off, told him he could bring it over but would be a while before i could look at it, got too many of my own saws in boxes and such. . so he takes it into a repair shop, the repair shop calls him and tells him it is going to need a carb kit, fuel line and filter, and a good cleaning, etc . . .with labor will run him about a hundred bucks . . . this fool calls me and tells me "the con who owns that small engine shop wanted to charge me a hundred dollars to fix that old saw, simple stuff too i could have done myself, but i got me a darn good poulan chainsaw at wal-mart for a hundred dollars brand new, so don't worry about looking at it now" my only concern was perhaps scoring the 621 for little or nothing, but when i offered to take it off his hands he said he'd already deposited it at the landfill, the idiot . . . i am now expecting a call about that "darn good" Wild Thing within a week or two

Last edited:
...how does that go?.....

something about leading a horse to water.......:)

are you going to be making a trip to the landfill soon?

i wish . . .the landfill has a no salvaging policy and as i have been caught and warned several times for pulling old saws and string trimmers from the rubble, they watch pretty close now, send a guy on an ATV to follow me around and make sure i leave with an empty pickup bed

i wish . . .the landfill has a no salvaging policy and as i have been caught and warned several times for pulling old saws and string trimmers from the rubble, they watch pretty close now, send a guy on an ATV to follow me around and make sure i leave with an empty pickup bed

and the "green freaks" are more worried about you recycling your lawn clippings than keeping chainsaw/trimmers out of the landfill. go figure!

Take a case of beer along and toss out a few cans every now and then to keep him occupied and not bothering you.
Bob

Take a case of beer along and toss out a few cans every now and then to keep him occupied and not bothering you.
Bob

Bob,

Following a trail of beer? :monkey: You have been around me too much.:)

On a serious note how are things in the north? I assume you got the payment awhile back fine. I forgot to check back with you. Guys are going great guns on beans now but little corn. We have corn ready and no beans. It is a bit scary but screw it I am picking corn this weekend. You know how it is everyone goes off the neighbors.

Bill

A few months ago I would be on the Poulan bashing band wagon. But my partner that I cut firewood with uses 3 Poulans and he's had good luck with them.
He doesn't love them, but he's not got much money to spend, so he's making due with what he has.
They are still ugly and I wouldn't have one, but they get the job done.
Well one did have the clutch fall off in mid cut, but I don't know if that was the saw or him. He took the clutch off because he got a wire stuck in it. I'm not convince he put it back on right.
He cuts the small stuff with his Poulan and I cut the big stuff with my 395xp.

poulans do indeed have their place . . . i own a few myself, but i would hate to think of relying upon a newer one. Throwing away a classic 621 and being proud of it is what got my goat, the guy was pleased with himself for going to wal-mart for a quick cheap solution and throwing away a fixable saw and not supporting a local independent repair business.

Last edited:
.... my only concern was perhaps scoring the 621 for little or nothing, but when i offered to take it off his hands he said he'd already deposited it at the landfill, the idiot .....

......i wish . . .the landfill has a no salvaging policy and as i have been caught and warned several times for pulling old saws and string trimmers from the rubble, they watch pretty close now, send a guy on an ATV to follow me around and make sure i leave with an empty pickup bed

:censored: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

Last edited:
This Wild Thing business keeps coming up. I've never seen one this side of the pond, are they really any good? I can see a use for a cheap, small saw for light work like limbing and nipping off sticks, quick, rough joinery etc. Are they up to this? I guessed they weren't a a "serious" saw and could disappoint if used for production firewooding, but to every thing its purpose and so on. more details please! :)

Man they would have a pic of me posted all over the place. I think id get the camo and facepaint and do some covert latenight recon.That would make me sick to gothere and see stuff and not allowed to take.:cry:

Never seen one in real life, but I believe the old 42cc 2375s weren't too bad performers, as long as they held together - and some obviously did......
I suspect that performance has been going downhill for a while on later versions, due to EPA-related changes.

and the "green freaks" are more worried about you recycling your lawn clippings than keeping chainsaw/trimmers out of the landfill. go figure!

Unnecessary carpet bombing.

Seriously, why would you think that the "green freaks" (whatever the heck THAT is) are responsible for following the man around making sure he doesn't remove anything from the landfill. I suspect its a liability issue.

Trying to keep lawn clippings out of a permanent landfill does not sound freakish to me. I think municipalities are making an effort to save their very expensive landfill capacity for things that ACTUALLY NEED to be thrown out. Since they will pass the cost of the next landfill on to you and will charge you in taxes to do so, you might want to make the connection that they are attempting to be smart on your behalf even if you don't "get it." What of ANY of this does not sound like a good idea?

Or will you just throw everything you can into the landfill and then complain about higher taxes? If you are too lazy to think past your own garbage can, I would refrain from criticizing others for at least TRYING to be decent, thoughtful humans. We all differ somewhat on exactly what should be done on environmental issues (you gotta love this country for that!), but there are some real "no brainers" out there. Not hucking everything you feel like into a landfill is one of them.

I'm no psychologist but I think you're mad about something else that happened to you that has predisposed you to imagining an enormous category of insane human call a "green freak." There are some out there, just like there are murderers, pedophiles, and quintuplets. To imagine that "green freaks" now run your landfill is poppycock. You should embrace good ideas even if they are not perfect instead of villifying imaginary foes to justify lazy behavior.

Was Ronald Reagan really a Contra? Of course not. He wanted to take the stigma out of the word "Contra" so that people would have the courage to act on their feelings as lovers of freedom. You don't have to be a "Contra" to feel like your freedom is worth fighting for. In the same way, you don't have to be a "green freak" just because you care about taking care of terra firma.

I'll add my apologies now as I'm sure some folks will be ticked off at my post. The "green freak" comment just rubbed me the wrong way. There are a lot of guys on here that think intelligently about what they do every day and not just about chainsaws. They shouldn't feel badly about thoughtful behavior because someone has imprinted the idea that its a "green freak" thing. We can all quibble about the details, but it is a good thing to try to make good choices.

I'll bet even Gary composts his lawn clippings :clap: :clap: . I dare you to call HIM a green freak!!

Some people just dont get it...

Cant believe a saw like that ended in a landfill,,even if you could get a few parts off of it,,or recycle the metal...Dang...Anymore seems like alot of people have this if it's broke trow it away thing going on...Oh,,and my lawn clippings,,,LOL!! I just let it lay and mow over em again and again and again.... :)

Possibly, as happens here, it was recycled. Hard to think that a good lump of metal would actually get landfilled. We're not supposed to rescue stuff either, I suspect liability comes into it but mustly I think it's because scrap metal attracts a pretty decent price these days. Although they did let me go off with a bike wheel, 'cos I asked nicely and bought them the dead one back.

....Was Ronald Reagan really a Contra? Of course not. He wanted to take the stigma out of the word "Contra" so that people would have the courage to act on their feelings as lovers of freedom. You don't have to be a "Contra" to feel like your freedom is worth fighting for. ....

He was the last great president you had, looking from the outside......:cheers:

..before that it was Nixon, then JFK, and before that 2xRoosevelt, with a long time between them, IMO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back