BREAKING NEWS! STIHL MS 170 & 171 SERIES WILL BE DISCONTINUED!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MS 170 was the first chainsaw that I purchased new (bad experience with the Stihl dealer), and for cutting firewood (among other homeowner chores) it performed well, started on the first or second pull every time, and I was/am proud to own a Stihl. My sons both purchased Stihl saws after using my MS 170. Was there some fraudulent marketing campaign advertising the little 170 as a production saw, that I was unaware of? If it isn't a ported, polished, souped-up racing saw with backup bells, lights, and mudflaps, is it still a chainsaw?

The MS 170 was the first chainsaw that I purchased new (bad experience with the Stihl dealer), and for cutting firewood (among other homeowner chores) it performed well, started on the first or second pull every time, and I was/am proud to own a Stihl. My sons both purchased Stihl saws after using my MS 170. Was there some fraudulent marketing campaign advertising the little 170 as a production saw, that I was unaware of? If it isn't a ported, polished, souped-up racing saw with backup bells, lights, and mudflaps, is it still a chainsaw?
The 170 is not a great saw IMO. But that's just me. I'm looking to get a corded saw to take its place when I don't feel like dealing with its BS antics.

I just got off the phone with my friend at the local Stihl dealer when he called me about my warranty axe repair. I told him about the new weed-eaters coming to the AS battery line as well as the TS 910i and TS 710i when he told me that the MS 170 would be discontinued for emissions reasons and be replaced by the MS 162, 172, 182, and 212. I will buy a couple of MS 170s before they are gone. I will also probably get an MS 162.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

View attachment 1122188

Thanks for the info. That one got by me.

Back