Headlamp Mafia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUCV

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Who else is part of the Headlamp Mafia, those who choose not to go inside when the sun goes down? I love being outside and hate to go in most nights til 9pm. Easy to do in the summer months but becomes more challenging in the winter months. Headlamps keep my hands free and able to keep on moving when the the sun goes down doing yard work, splitting wood, stacking wood, loading the boiler, delivering wood, the list goes on and on.

What do you use for a head lamp and what do you do at night wearing one?

I have a USB rechargeable lithium ion LED headlamp that I like a lot. I use it every day to feed the OWB and lots of other activities. Wife got them for the kids a few years ago and I liked them so well she got me one the next week. Three Trees is the name on it and they are $13 on Amazon (ugh!)

I have had good luck with the Nitecore HC33 lamps. I don’t use it as a headlamp. It comes with a clip so you can just clip it to your jacket, shirt, pocket ect and still have two hands free. Handy magnet in the base for wrenching on iron in the dark. Very versatile little light. I have two and run them every night this time of year for feeding the animals and putting the chickens into the coop.

NITECORE HC33 1800 Lumens High Lumen L-Shaped Headlamp (nitecorestore.com)

Who else is part of the Headlamp Mafia, those who choose not to go inside when the sun goes down? I love being outside and hate to go in most nights til 9pm. Easy to do in the summer months but becomes more challenging in the winter months. Headlamps keep my hands free and able to keep on moving when the the sun goes down doing yard work, splitting wood, stacking wood, loading the boiler, delivering wood, the list goes on and on.

I have a Fenix HM50R for walking the dogs in the woods in the morning before sunlight
It plugs into a USB for recharging, but the battery is pretty small so I do it every day

I have 12 headlamps! I buy the Costco 3 packs, stashed all over. House, Shop, Vehicles. I do a lot of wood splitting, slash burning after dusk, I never get caught in the dark.

I have had good luck with the Nitecore HC33 lamps. I don’t use it as a headlamp. It comes with a clip so you can just clip it to your jacket, shirt, pocket ect and still have two hands free. Handy magnet in the base for wrenching on iron in the dark. Very versatile little light. I have two and run them every night this time of year for feeding the animals and putting the chickens into the coop.

NITECORE HC33 1800 Lumens High Lumen L-Shaped Headlamp (nitecorestore.com)
I use coast headlamps. Three of the HL-5’ 175 Lumen lights . Sell for about $20.00 each . Easy to use and very reliable..

image.jpg
I get these from Amazon. USB, motion sensor. About $24 a pair. I've got about 6 of 'em. One's velcroed on my welding hood.

I use then for wood, leaf blowing, working under the car, camping. Have an old LED lenser, getting a USB charging one for christmas. Sick of replacing the batteries

I have 12 headlamps! I buy the Costco 3 packs, stashed all over. House, Shop, Vehicles. I do a lot of wood splitting, slash burning after dusk, I never get caught in the dark.
I think we are tied! 4 in the barn, 4 in the garage, 2 in the dump truck and 2 in the PU. Everything I have is rechargeable. I was buying one of my favorites on Amazon for $10 each and came with a car charger and 120v charger but can't seem to find them anymore. The are so-so comfortable but super bright. My favorite for comfort is a Husky headlamp but again no longer available. Lots good name brands to check you from you guys. I've been interested in an Led Lenser that looks super close to my Husky.

We use head lites sometimes. I also use this Kubota diesel, goes up about 30' so lights up a decent area. I also have big floods that go up 17' that plug into the light tower.

Attachments

• 20201002_202837.jpg
    20201002_202837.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20201002_202818.jpg
    20201002_202818.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20201002_202746.jpg
    20201002_202746.jpg
    1,003.9 KB · Views: 24

Kobalt has a nice one that sits around neck? I bought one earlier this year.

I bought my first one in the 1970’s.Used 4 D cells on a belt pack, cord to the top… high tech and great then. Have a dozen or two of the cheap ones using a single AA bat. They are Ok. Bought a rechargable one a few years back, Great for work and pretty good spotlight and throw.
Just bought this rechargeable one on Amazon for $24 or so. Ribbon of LED. Not nearly as focused or spot for say hunting or seeing a street sign, but I really like for working. Wide pattern good peripheral. High and low, but only about 20% difference. Strobe, dubious value. Side spot light is no help to me. Decent spot and throw, but far enough back it reflects off glasses and is not usable for me. That said, I am going to order a few more and replace all the vehicle and working ones with this style.

Headlamp Rechargeable, Super...

Attachments

• 1FAC06AE-F81B-497E-9358-1DC3525FC459.jpeg
    1FAC06AE-F81B-497E-9358-1DC3525FC459.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
I bought my first one in the 1970’s.Used 4 D cells on a belt pack, cord to the top… high tech and great then. Have a dozen or two of the cheap ones using a single AA bat. They are Ok. Bought a rechargable one a few years back, Great for work and pretty good spotlight and throw.
Just bought this rechargeable one on Amazon for $24 or so. Ribbon of LED. Not nearly as focused or spot for say hunting or seeing a street sign, but I really like for working. Wide pattern good peripheral. High and low, but only about 20% difference. Strobe, dubious value. Side spot light is no help to me. Decent spot and throw, but far enough back it reflects off glasses and is not usable for me. That said, I am going to order a few more and replace all the vehicle and working ones with this style.

Headlamp Rechargeable, Super...
I've been curious about the ribbon style as well, may be worth giving one a try.

I have a Kubota diesel light tower as well but it uses more fuel than the splitter!
We use it mainly for loading firewood after dark. I have used it with the processor but just to see how good it would light things up. It's really handy for events too. I work during the day so sometimes it's nice to have light when I really need it.

I use mine to go out at night and get firewood or finish stacking wood and etc

The one I like most came in a two pack from TSC, ( i haven't seen them since) one is usb rechargeable and the other takes AAA batteries, I like the USB one best. I was in need of another one recently and grabbed a cheapy from HD and it works great. They have come a long ways. I don't do much work out in the dark these days but do load the OWB about 6pm so one is needed then. The charge seems to last a good long while as well.

Back