Heads Up to People in Northeast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heads UP: Part II

Just saw the extended forcast. Maybe another icying event this coming Sunday, 12/21. Can you bellieve this?

Worse Than Nebraska Last Year?

Just saw the extended forcast. Maybe another icying event this coming Sunday, 12/21. Can you bellieve this?
This may be worse than what hit central Nebraska last year around this time. Power lines in NE were down for weeks because thousands of power poles were driven to the ground by the ice, flattened as if someone had stepped on them.

An Alberta clipper just came down to say hello today. Temperature dropped 60 degrees in 15 hours. No ice or snow, but it's really cold and the wind is treacherous. Fall is over.
:dizzy:

An Alberta clipper just came down to say hello today. Temperature dropped 60 degrees in 15 hours. No ice or snow, but it's really cold and the wind is treacherous. Fall is over.
:dizzy:

I heard about this today. Yikes. Now that's cold.

Folks in S. NH migt not be getting power back until the weekend, with a significant number still w/o power - potentially - at Christmas.

I heard about this today. Yikes. Now that's cold.

Folks in S. NH migt not be getting power back until the weekend, with a significant number still w/o power - potentially - at Christmas.

Glad you're ok WB :clap: I was worried about you guys over that way. Here we really lucked out for once! :clap: The temps have been doing some amazing jumps this past week! 40-50 degrees in a 24hr period already 3 times in 8 days. Give me snow or give me no, but keep the ice.

Glad you're ok WB :clap: I was worried about you guys over that way. Here we really lucked out for once! :clap: The temps have been doing some amazing jumps this past week! 40-50 degrees in a 24hr period already 3 times in 8 days. Give me snow or give me no, but keep the ice.

We're on the northern fringe of the worst-hit area, so we were a lot better off than our neighbors in towns to the south. I have family that lives not too far from Derry.* Still no juice and no telling when the lights will come back on.

Needless to say, the sales of generators are through the roof. The one storm-related fatality I know of in NH was a guy who ran his in his garage and who died of CO poisoning.

*Tree-related geography trivia: Derry was settled by Scots-Irish in the early 1700s from the Londonderry, N. Ire. area. Derry takes its name from Dore/Dorrie/Dorre, all related to a Gaelic word for oak.

*For the potatoe lovers out there: while the spud is native to the Americas it was first re-introduced by the Scots-Irish of Londonderry in 1719 who brought it along as one of their early staples that would sustain them and be introduced to farming elsewhere in British North America. Now where's the sour cream and bacon bits? :clap:

Power out 65 hours

Lost power Thursday night, got it back last night!!!! I'm lucky, just North of me some may be out for another 7-10 days. Generator with OWB worked awesome , house nice and toasty. Had TV too! (thanks DirecTV). Took 30-40 minutes on Fri morning with 372XP to cut my way out of my driveway (that wood is already in my pile next to OWB and burning now:) ->chance favors those who are prepared!!! I have at least 6-7 cords of wood now on the ground just on my property for next winter. Every tree has top broken off of it. My CAD is starting to have an eruption.....I need another saw:popcorn:

Last edited:
Lost power Thursday night, got it back last night!!!! I'm lucky, just North of me some may be out for another 7-10 days. Generator with OWB worked awesome , house nice and toasty. Had TV too! (thanks DirecTV). Took 30-40 minutes on Fri morning with 372XP to cut my way out of my driveway (that wood is already in my pile next to OWB and burning now:) ->chance favors those who are prepared!!! I have at least 6-7 cords of wood now on the ground just on my property for next winter. Every tree has top broken off of it. My CAD is starting to have an eruption.....I need another saw:popcorn:

Way too go Scooter! I wondered how the OWB crew faired with the power out? Nice having the backup gen! I have a Lincoln Ranger welder that could easily sub as a backup generator. It's an 18hp onan twin. I've just never done up the connection too the mains too plug it in. Need too look into that. My Brother is out in western Mass right on the NY border and he said they only lost power for a few hours too.

Last edited:
Still without power. Propane generator has been running since 2am Friday morning. Had a steady stream of family and friends over to shower and eat all weekend. I saw some crews on the way to work this morning, so I think we will have power back by tonight. Lots of tree damage.

Still without power. Propane generator has been running since 2am Friday morning. Had a steady stream of family and friends over to shower and eat all weekend. I saw some crews on the way to work this morning, so I think we will have power back by tonight. Lots of tree damage.

I'm still without too and I'm considering getting a generator (the "rugged outdoorsie" thing is good for a fews days but I'm getting bored).

How do you like the propane generator? This question is for everyone really. The gas/diesel one's are clearly more common but propane looks more sensible.

Thoughts?

Thanks

We lost power Thursday around Midnight and still don't have it back. Could be another week or longer. I am probably in the worst hit town (Alfred-Lyman) in the worst hit county (York) in the state of Maine. At least we are not freezing with the woodstove.

I'm still without too and I'm considering getting a generator (the "rugged outdoorsie" thing is good for a fews days but I'm getting bored).

How do you like the propane generator? This question is for everyone really. The gas/diesel one's are clearly more common but propane looks more sensible.

Thoughts?

Thanks

We are very happy with the unit. It is a 7kw automatic Briggs and Stratton similar to the one Northern Tool sells. It it nice not to have to run out every 8-12 hours shut off the unit, let it cool, refuel and restart it. My father and brother both have gasoline units. The gas/diesel units have their place, but for an extended outage, I like the propane. You need to have a large enough tank of propane to supply the generator. At least 200 gallons.

The real concern for me was the sump pump after the Mother's Day flood a couple years ago. We didn't lose power, but if we had, we would have lost the furnace and the hot water heater in the basement due to water damage. That was the deciding factor for me.

The only creature conforts that we can't use are the dishwasher, and clothes washer and dryer. With a 12kw generator the whole house could run, but it wasn't worth the extra "investment".

If you want any more specific information, PM me.

Still out here. Went out 11:20pm Thursday.

I just got a second loaner generator, this one has a 220 output so I can run the well pump and furnace correctly through my generator switch panel (came with the house). It's loud and sucks gas, but it's enough for a hot shower and washing the sink full of dishes and baby bottles. I'll run the little Honda most of the time and spool up the loud one for bath time!

--Andrew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr93Or6afPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZMiJY-ljCw

Whole bunch more:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Worcester+and+ice+storm&search_type=&aq=f

Makes you appreciate a storm like the '38 Hurricane that hit before chainsaws were a common item out here, never mind chippers, front end loaders, and grapples. My dad was old enough to remember the clean up efforts involving axes and hand saws.

Friend of mine, before he enlisted in '43, used to run lumber between Turkey Pond in Concord to Rochester.

The twist? The lumber mill in Concord was staffed entirely by women. Lumberjills, they called themselves. Just as Rosie took over riveting, these gals took to milling up the deadfall of the '38 hurricaine. (There was so much deadfall, the trees were withheld from the market to prevent further depression of b/f prices. Took years to saw it all up.)

My friend likes to reminisce about the short shorts the lumberjills wore. "Son, I'll tell you," he says to me, "I've never carted off so much lumber walking backwards as I did at that there mill on Turkey Pond." :cheers:

hope everyone is doing well. I was only out for about 22 hours. The 8.5K watt generator and hot air wood furnace proved again that it was worth the investment. We are located just west of Poughkeepsie,NY.

This morning around 9am I saw a carivan utility trucks going north on I-87. Had to be fifty of them. Must be heading for you guys in N.H.

Stay warm, stay safe

dawzie

hope everyone is doing well. I was only out for about 22 hours. The 8.5K watt generator and hot air wood furnace proved again that it was worth the investment. We are located just west of Poughkeepsie,NY.

This morning around 9am I saw a carivan utility trucks going north on I-87. Had to be fifty of them. Must be heading for you guys in N.H.

Stay warm, stay safe

dawzie

Hope their headed this way. We are still without power, so the propane guy is still loving me.

Generator

After reading this post, going through a power outage in 2002 and having the power go out on me for a short time last year I decided to by a generator.

All I need to run is the fan motors on my Host Blast 1400. I have gas cooking appliances and gas water heaters.

I can't afford a Honda, the farm store had a Colman for $400 but as I was walking down the isle in Walmart and I saw a cheap-O 1200W generator on clearance for $192. It looks like something you would get from Habor Freight.

I hope I never have to use it for emergency reasons.

Good Luck out there, be safe.

After reading this post, going through a power outage in 2002 and having the power go out on me for a short time last year I decided to by a generator.

All I need to run is the fan motors on my Host Blast 1400. I have gas cooking appliances and gas water heaters.

I can't afford a Honda, the farm store had a Colman for $400 but as I was walking down the isle in Walmart and I saw a cheap-O 1200W generator on clearance for $192. It looks like something you would get from Habor Freight.

I hope I never have to use it for emergency reasons.

Good Luck out there, be safe.

better than nothing

I am still without power in Milford and they are saying it could be a week before it gets turned on. The real kick in the teeth is that folks across the street have power and I don't. At least I have a generator and woodstove to keep us warm and the lights on.

I am still without power in Milford and they are saying it could be a week before it gets turned on. The real kick in the teeth is that folks across the street have power and I don't. At least I have a generator and woodstove to keep us warm and the lights on.

"Why hello there good neighbor, would you mind if I strung this here extension cord across to one of your outlets ;-)" Voltage loss and potential damage on the road aside :)

Generator was on my list, until the tranny went out in my Grand Caravan this morning... Even something to run the furnace fans and power the fridge. Gas cook range here and water heater.

Tes

Back