Hearing protection - what do ya all wear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have around 25 and 28 DB loss in my hearing. Actually this is an average and hi freq. responce is actually worse than that. Shooting, jackhammmer, equipment operation etc. Cutting with oxy acet torch, compressed air tools, wind noise while driving, seemingly not loud noises are really hard on the high frequency loss and we dont even think obout these till its too late. Most muffs or inserts are not enough used separately to prevent all damage, but either is sure a lot better than nothing.

Frank

rustyb,

Where do you live in Idaho? I used to live in the the northern part (near Lewiston).

Later, Roger.

I would recommend looking at the DB rating of the ear muffs you are considering. Here more IS better. I use a 25DB and a 26DB set for both my wife and myself. It is kind of nice, after 24 years of the Army and tanks shooting as well as all of the other noise makers, to have reasonabley good hearing. I credit that to the hearing protection and being religious about using it.

Hal

Peltor AM/FM 'worktunes' earmuffs...I wear them from early fall until late spring...they're too hot in the summer.

Great for when using chainsaws, tractors, tillers, lawnmowers, vacuum cleaners, when driving posts, and best of all...blocks out all that sibling rivalry bickering during 'snow days'.

Ear muffs and screen visor without the hard hat. Only thing I don't like about the visor is when the light hits it right your eyes tend to focus on it and not beyond it. I usually wear safety glasses under the visor to.
Grateful

If glasses are worn, count on about a 19% reduction in the attenuation. That little slot lets in a lot of noise.

This could be lessened if the safety glasses fit close to the head and/or plugs were worn too.

Huh...? What...?

Tom

I think the string trimmers are actually louder to run than saws simply because they are angled up behind your right shoulder and closer to your ear. I'll admit many times when running a saw I don't wear ear protection but I usually don't wear plugs when hunting either. Went to the Pomona drag strip several times when I was younger. Chainsaws just don't seem that loud anymore. I know, I'm not looking out for my hearing but hey when the female species nags at me from across the room, I don't have to respond. :D John

Pelter muffs here except on the hottest of days when I switch to disposable ear plugs which I find a lot cooler. I always have been conscientious about potential for hearing loss, which is why I can still hear today, and a lot of my contemporaries wear digital hearing aids. We used to spend a lot of time around aircraft turbine noise, and firearms as well.

Hearing aids

Dont figure that when you've used up your hearing you can just get hearing aids. Got mine a month ago and they arent that good. ok one on one or a few people but worse than useless in a crowded room. I find with an open muffler I want both plugs and muffs to feel comfortable. My hearing is down 26 db at higher frequencies. Just didnt know any better 40 years ago.

Frank

Hearing protection equipment

I use both ear muffs and ear plugs. I have tried a number of different ones, but I really like the products put out by Howard Leight.

http://www.melbran.com/leightening.htm for a 31 DB ear muff (The most comfortable pair I have ever worn, as well as the quietest)

http://www.melbran.com/max.htm For the ear plugs - 33 DB.

After too many years of shooting, hunting, and running chain saws and other power equipment, I never ever run anything without putting in both plugs and muffs.

And I agree with some other out there - at this point even a vacuum drives my crazy unless I put on a pair of muffs...

I use E_A_R TaperFit 2 Large Size plugs with a 32db rating. With the bigger size I can roll em up and cram em in deep and not worry about losing them. I bought a box of 200 for about $25 and usually run one pair a day. If I pull em out for coffee and there is a hint of wax then its time for a new pair. If you compare it to reusing soiled a$$wipe it's not likely you'll wanna shove dirty wax back in your ears. Another plus for wearing plugs is that it gives me an excuse when people think/know that I am ignoring them. Just point at your ears, shrug your shoulders and keep cutting.

At home I like regular muffs for reading and napping. Helps me concentrate on my book as I find myself listening to the T.V. rather than reading the words. The muff/plug combo is great for an afternoon nap although sometimes it works too well resulting in a 2-4 hour snooze in the middle of the day. According to the missus I can snore twice as loud with hearing protection on. Doesn't make much sense considering the racket is coming from the inside of my head.

I wear a set of earmuffs or a set of earplugs that have a little blue plastic piece that keeps them in place while you're working.

I've been wearing earplugs for the last 10 years, but I've only JUST STARTED to insert them correctly. Just like the pic on the package says, you've GOT TO pull your ear UP, and to the BACK when shoving them in.
It makes a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. I can't believe I've just started to do it the right way. I never paid attention to it before.

Just a thought.:blob2:

Latest posts

Back